Airfix 1/72 CAC Boomerang under construction

S

Sky Raider

Amazing Tony, you guys really make hard work for yourselves, the final results are always outstanding and well worthy of the additional efforts. Great job.

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Sweet scratching Tony ,keeps inspiring me to do more on mine but its paling in comparison and its 1/48 scale so I've no excuse lol!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done on the pit over the weekend. A few more details have been added (various levers ) and the pedals and ducting have been painted and fitted. The switch panels have been painted too, all thats left to do is add the armoured headrest ,control column ,seat, gunsight and one more throttle lever thats on the very edge of the cockpit, so im leaving that off till later to avoid any mishaps. I finally decided to open up the canopy , so crash moulded another one from clear acetate. The back sliding section of this will be used in conjunction with the kit windscreen to allow the canopy to be posed open. If it had been a straight edged canopy (i.e. like the hurricane) i could have just cut the kit one in two but the boomer has a curved top section which would have been impossible to cut . The kit canopy was then cut up and the windscreen shaped , the same for the crash moulded back section. heres the pics

View attachment 49930

View attachment 49931

View attachment 49932

View attachment 49933

View attachment 49934

View attachment 49935

View attachment 49936

View attachment 49937

View attachment 49938

View attachment 49939

P1100821 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100823 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100825 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100819 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100822 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100850 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100854 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100856 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100851 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100852 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very nice Tony. Any thoughts about a wash for the inside ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers colin, ole. As far as a wash goes i dont usually bother in 1/72, its dark enough when the fuselage is closed up and any wash will only make it darker. A wash is great on moulded on details but as most bits have been added separately they tend to cast their own shadows. I think ill just highlight a few areas with a lighter green and do a bit of drybrushing with silver for wear and tear , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
OK troops , one last look before the seat goes in and the fuselage gets stuck together. The only things left to add to the cockpit now are one more throttle lever (left until very last as its right on the edge of the cockpit sill and wouldnt survive the rest of the build!) and the gunsight. The last pic is the completed gunsight , made from a piece of plastic rod , turned in the dremel type tool to get the ridges and then tihy pieces of clear holographic confetti stuck on for the lens and reflector,all it needs is carefully cutting off the end .I think ill leave the gunsight till last too,here are the pics , cheers tony

View attachment 50357

View attachment 50358

View attachment 50359

P1100871 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100879 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1100882 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

C

CDW

a scratch built gunsight in 1/72 ?..... smeggin awesome ! :smiling3: :smiling3:

Hopefully you'll be able to catch a glimpse of these little details through the canopy when it's all closed up.

Nive job so far Tony.

W

wbk666

i just dont know how you do it, this is not the biggest bird in the world to start off with yet you fit so much realistic detail in the cockpit it almost seems life size.

I bow to you Sir

W

wanna_be_aviator

Fantastic, Tony! I don't know how I've missed this so far. From now on I'll keep an eye on this build.

cheers!

A

AJay

Great detailing. Such a lot of work in this one, and at 1/72, too!!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Simply amazing detail, really nice work Tony. I have this kit too in my stash, I think I will leave it a few years now.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking good Tony. What have you used on the wing roots ? They look nice and smooth with no loss of detail.

Colin M..