Airfix 1 72 de Havilland HF 82a Tiger Moth

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Every scale has its own challenges Mike, But are all the same with the different approaches of building as Tim has mentioned.
The same with whether to attach painted or unpainted depends on individual preference. Pre-planning and dry fitting will help you decide. Sponge or wet tissue are two good ways to mask cockpits as has been said other than the masking tape.

Cheers,
Richard

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Whilst inspecting the plane to undertake some cleaning before priming I've noticed a few more glue stains that I would like. Any tips on removing these? I've ready scraping and even acetone or even just hiding them with weathering.

I'm not that fussed as it's my first model and I'm learning as i go but I do want to pick up tips as I go. I guess the first one is don't get glue on the model in the first place or wipe it off immediately.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
don't get glue on the model in the first place or wipe it off immediately.
In my (fairly limited) experience it's better to let it dry completely then sand/file/scrape the area. Trying to wipe it off will just spread the damage. If the glue is liquid you can try dipping the corner of a tissue into it to soak some up.
Pete

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have struggled so much with this. The parts really are tiny and applying the second wing has been a nightmare. I have had so many broken struts.

I think with hindsight, doing a model of this scale as my first model was the wrong idea, especially as I have limited tools and experience.

So I'm going to park this for now as the frustration is getting to me. It's just not fun to be honest.

I will come back to it, but for now I'll be moving on to my original plan and building the 1/35 scale Tamiya kit I have purchased. I'll do another blog for this. And sometime in the future, I'll resurrect this one.

On a positive note, the postman delivered me a set of Tamiya Sprue cutters today. I've spent 5 minutes with them and the difference this makes is phenomenal. I have previously been cutting the pieces of the sprue with a Stanley knife.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
It was a bit of practice at least! You'll probably enjoy the tamiya a bit more I reckon and a few tools makes things a lot easier.