Airfix 1/72 Douglas SBD-5

B

Bari

I thought I would put this up as a thread mainly to spur me on to get on with it. I am using it as an attempt to improve it and try new techniques. I bought it in a sale very cheaply so no problem if I muck it up. It has been quite enjoyable so far trying to work out how to do things. The fit of most of the parts is not too bad however the cowl seems to be very wide at the sides as when you look at photo's of the real thing the cowl fits fairly flush to the fuselage sides. So, some photos of the cockpit, and I've managed to open up some of the major slots etc and tart up the wheel wells so far.

View attachment 64807

View attachment 64808

View attachment 64809

View attachment 64810

View attachment 64811

View attachment 64812

View attachment 64813

View attachment 64814

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0043.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like some very nice work going on already Barry and on such a small scale will watch this with interest

B

Bari

Thanks for the interest chaps. after slapping a bit of paint on the cockpit area I had a rush of blood to the head and decided to put in the flap actuating rods then went and added hinges to the elevators and trim tab actuating rods to the trip tabs. Now my eyes hurt. Time to take some eye medicine, perhaps with a bit of tonic and ice.

View attachment 64932

View attachment 64933

View attachment 64934

IMG_0043a.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Barry, I like to see a bit of extra work going into this scale.

Colin M..

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I am impressed to see what you are doing with this kit Barry. Look forward to more progress shots soon. This is a kit I have considered building.

B

Bari

Just a quick update, I haven't done a lot as there was an executive decision to redecorate the flat ( I thought retirement was supposed to be the time to take it easier). I have attached the wings and tailplane, I was surprised at the fit as very little filler was required, just a light application of Tippex. I have also managed to get a little bit of paint onto the engine and start on the cowl. The exhausts were made from bent stretched sprue. I did try to use cotton bud tube but I must have got the cheap brand as all the tube did was melt. It will be another week or two before I do anything else as I am off to Cornwall at the weekend for a week or so. As we are visiting an elderly relative I can feel a few jobs saved up there as well.

View attachment 65360

IMG_0054.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Some nice work done on the Dauntless, Barry. Look forward to more once you clear your other 'tasks'. :smiling3:

B

Bari

Now I have returned from a damp and windy Cornwall (we did have two nice days, and of course the blazing sun in my eyes for the return trip). I have done a little bit more, added the control surfaces and put the cowl on. I have tried to remodel the front as from the photos I have seen the gun muzzles ended at the cowl. Now the cowling in on the exhausts look a bit on the massive side. I am still trying to work out how to the do cartridge belts for the rear guns and also trying to summon up the courage to use the kit canopy to mold something bit thinner.

View attachment 66120

View attachment 66121

View attachment 66122

View attachment 66123

IMG_0054a.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Bari, the SBD is coming along nicely.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The French markings will be unique Bari, nice choice.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Bari, and a great idea to put it on an high shelve. looking forward to the finish line now

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
looking good, one ive never done

i like the fact you are doing in french markings, a bit different

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I too like the different markings. Nice model as well.

B

Bari