Airfix 1/72 Douglas SBD-5

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Looking good hope your canopy goes well good luck

First Name
Dave
Looks good Barry .As for the canopy, if you make a mould from the original and use that as a former,you will still have the original to fallback on.I moulded a canopy for my Anson when I had never done it before.Took around 15 attempts to get a good one,but I got there in the end.

B

Bari

Thanks for the encouragement, I took the plunge and had a bash at it. Biggest problem was getting the right sort of plastic. I tried several types ( I had been saving odd scraps over the last few weeks) In the end a nice thin plastic worked. I have no idea where it came from but there you go. I used a square of hardboard with a square hole cut into it about two inches by one inch and taped the plastic across the hole using Duck black tape. then held it over the smallest cooker ring (electric) until it looked floppy and a bit of smoke was coming off it then just plunged it down over the canopy which was held on the end of a stick with bluetak. I just need to trim it, although looking at it I may have to borrow the wife's embroidery scissors, (when she's out of course, no need to bother with the technical details of things.) Note to self, make the bit of hardboard bigger thereby saving slightly scorched fingers.

View attachment 67403

IMG_0008.jpg

First Name
Dave
Great result Barry.I used a paint stripper/heat gun to heat the plastic,then pushed the mould into it.the opposite way to you but with the same result.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great result Barry, looking forward to more soon. And nice to see someone doing this replacement canopy method and sharing the result.

B

Bari

Almost finished, just a bit of a wash to do to tone down the wheels and bays and a matt coat. A bit disappointed regarding the canopy, in the end I had several tries at it until the original canopy went a bit pear shaped after repeated mouldings. I just couldn't get the size or the frames right. I tried painting decal strip, freehand painting and in the end settled for painted tamiya tape. I also had to use the original windscreen which by this time had gone a bit opaque. Still it was good fun and I learnt a lot. I have put some more pictures in the Aircraft pictures section.

View attachment 67757

IMG_0064.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!