Airfix 1:72 Harrier GR9

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
We join this construction in progress... (I just joined the forum :smiling3: )

I have really enjoyed the newer Airfix kits and have previously built their newer Harrier GR1 and A-4B. So I'd picked this kit up a year or two ago (maybe more - COVID years don't count) and thought I'd give it a try. After completing the cockpit and a lot of the other major construction items, I started on the engine nozzles.

Here's the initial construction along with a cockpit shots and some other details in progress (I know I have a lot of sanding/seam filling to do):
PXL_20221113_235935034.jpg
Overall model
PXL_20221113_235918465.jpg
Cockpit - which looks terrible in this picture...
PXL_20221114_000156919.jpg
Gear details (need to finish tires)

And here is where I got to with the nozzles. With any Harrier, one of the major areas for seams is the nozzles and it's difficult in this scale to really get rid of them:
PXL_20221114_000431393.jpg
They aren't terrible, and I tried to hide the inner fin seams with dirt, but it didn't really work.

So that got me to thinking about 3D printing some new nozzles. And while I was thinking about it, I thought I could 3D print some other stuff as well. I've been doing 3D printing for a while now, primarily using Fusion 360 for design and my AnyCubic Photon Mono X printer for resin printing. I've always had trouble making seams disappear on fuel tanks, so I started with that - also a pretty simple shape. Here's what I wound up with:
PXL_20221114_000012740.jpg
However, to get there I made a number of versions, adding features, measuring, etc. (I also printed one at 1:32 scale to try it out):

PXL_20221114_000021233.jpg
The way I do the design, some features scale up (such as the main body), but some features don't, so the fin is the same thickness at both scales (0.4mm) and the walls of the tank are 1mm for both as well. That means it's nice and light.

After that I thought I'd add some more stuff under the wings, starting with the LAU-5003 rocket pods, which have more detail than you can see in this photo:
PXL_20221114_000105643.jpg
And I thought it would add some pizzazz to add some AGM-65s under the wings. I haven't decided which version I'll use, but I made models for both:
PXL_20221114_000128879.jpg
I also have LAU-117s for the Mavericks, but I don't have a good photo of those yet. These are all designed for me to run wire from the weapon/tank into small holes I can drill in the model so they can be attached later. Note that because these are resin, I have to use CA glue to attach them.

Finally, I started working on the engine nozzles (why I started this in the first place):
PXL_20221114_000046434.jpg
I'm still working on sizing the aft nozzles to fit well, but they are very close.

Anyway, I'm excited to see where this will go. If I do a nice enough job on the 3D printing stuff, I may offer some for sale eventually.

Thanks for looking!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
All Greek to me, but the parts look Great! :thumb2: That Harrier office is looking the bomb.....watch your mold lines though.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Should be OK if you're going to button up the cockpit, but working in 1/72 and smaller they really tend to stand out.....I'm strictly 1/87 scale and they really show up if I'm not careful. Keep it coming Ed, I'm liking the progress so far. :thumb2:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Lovely stuff Ed, and shows exactly the benefits of the new technology.
Did you print the tank and ordnance horizontal or vertical?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's looking really very good Ed!

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Lovely stuff Ed, and shows exactly the benefits of the new technology.
Did you print the tank and ordnance horizontal or vertical?
Most of it is printed vertically, though the LAU-117s (not pictured yet) are done at an angle. I have to think about the supports and where I want the layer lines to be before printing. Because of the way the printer works I'm always tempted to keep things short because printing times are directly related to how tall things are. So, for example, the tanks take about 4 hours to print because of their height. If I laid them down it might be 1 hour. But, they wouldn't wind up looking as good. It's all tradeoffs...

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Most of it is printed vertically, though the LAU-117s (not pictured yet) are done at an angle. I have to think about the supports and where I want the layer lines to be before printing. Because of the way the printer works I'm always tempted to keep things short because printing times are directly related to how tall things are. So, for example, the tanks take about 4 hours to print because of their height. If I laid them down it might be 1 hour. But, they wouldn't wind up looking as good. It's all tradeoffs...
I know what you mean, which is why I asked.
In my professional life, speed is always key because of deadlines, but with my own stuff I have to remind myself that slow is not a problem!
You might be interested in my thread
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/adventures-with-a-3d-printer.38913/
All the best and keep posting
Neil

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
I know what you mean, which is why I asked.
In my professional life, speed is always key because of deadlines, but with my own stuff I have to remind myself that slow is not a problem!
You might be interested in my thread
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/adventures-with-a-3d-printer.38913/
All the best and keep posting
Neil
Very cool! It's a lot of iteration and figuring out how to minimize weaknesses and maximize strengths. I need to do a post sometime soon on my 1:144 Aries 1B from 2001 that I designed, printed and built. I'm actually thinking about offering it as a kit.

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Okay, I have a question that maybe someone here might be able to answer. I know the gr7/9 could use AGM-65s. Were they only able to use the IR missiles or could they use laser guided with the sniper pod? I really like the look of the laser guided Mavericks better, but I can do either.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ed
That 3D printing is impressive stuff. I don't understand it at all but it is making a big difference to aftermarket products. Harrier is looking good. You're right in saying that these newer Airfix kits are nice to build.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello Ed, and what an aircraft to introduce yourself with, the Harrier. A great choice. I'll be looking forward seeing this one develop.

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Hello Ed, and what an aircraft to introduce yourself with, the Harrier. A great choice. I'll be looking forward seeing this one develop.
I love Harriers and I really love the newer Airfix kits of them. Here's a 1:72 Airfix GR1 I did a couple years ago (I promise the paint doesn't look that mottled in person - it's a weird camera artifact):

PXL_20221115_211006530.jpg

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Well, I've started putting together some of the underwing stuff. I haven't yet decided whether to use the laser guided or IR AGM-65s. You can see the LAU-117 launch rails and the LAU-5003 rocket pods. So far, I've just painted them - I haven't added any decalling. Since the Mavericks didn't come with the kit, there aren't any decals included, but I can probably scrounge some up. I like how both versions of the Mavericks look so it's hard for me to decide.
PXL_20221116_025128528.jpg

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Minor update - I've done an awful lot of sanding and filling to try to remove seams and have shot a coat of primer over it and it's looking pretty decent - I have a little seam cleanup needed:
PXL_20221123_032215003.NIGHT.jpg

I've also realized there are sink marks on the top of the wheel pylons. I guess I was thinking those were vents or something, but in looking at some images I'm not seeing them:
RAF_British_Aerospace_Harrier_GR9_Lofting-1.jpg

Not a huge deal, but I'll need to remove them before doing any more painting or anything. I also updated the Mavericks - IR is what I've decided to go with - and have painted them for the most part. I'll need to paint a couple stencils on them, but they're pretty close. I'm wanting to get this one done before the end of the year and actually this Thursday being Thanksgiving here in the US I'll have some free time to work on it. So maybe well before the end of the year...hope springs eternal. :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ed

That's coming on very nicely. Modern jets really aren't my thing but the Harrier is quirky enough to interest me.

As a slide aside, I was talking to someone at our modelling club on Monday night and the subject of Harriers came up. He used to work for an arms manufacturer (can't remember who) and they were working on some sort of air launch missile (no idea what). They did the first test fire of said missile from a Harrier sat on the ground........good job too.......the inertia created by the missile as the rocket/engine fired was so strong that before it had a chance to properly launch, it ripped the wing clean off the plane!! So they had to devise a way of letting it drop a bit before it fired, whilst still connected by a sort of umbilical chord.

Anyway enough of a digression. I really am looking forward to this crossing the finishing line.

All the best.

Andrew