AIRFIX 1/72 SPITFIRE PR. XIX

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking forward to seeing how this one tunes out Patrick, should be stunning with your skills, :D

L

Laurie

Nice at times Patrick to construct a model like this. If you have been constructing a larger project it is nice to clear the mind with a model like this.

They look great on the shelf.

Laurie

P

Polux

Nice one Patrick.

I'm agree with Laurie, this kind of model is fantastic for "disconnect" for a while!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice choice Patrick. You'll enjoy this. I have a permanently cleared mind and am always disconnected because I model in 1/72. Not a grey hair nor wrinkle on me.

D

dubster72

Monica, Laurie, Polux & Joe many thanks for you kind words.

I have to admit that this has been a relaxing build, not least because the kit pretty much falls together almost of its own accord!

Here's the thing mostly done. They are a few gaps, at the rear join of the wings

to fuselage, at the outboard wing undersides & to the rear of the tail wheel doors. The clear parts for the ventral cameras didn't fit, so I replaced these with clear LED's.

View attachment 85434

View attachment 85435

View attachment 85436

They are minor niggles, my main issue is the step on the starboard wing root. Nothing I could do seemed to get it to fit flush. So can anyone offer some suggestions to rectify it? Filling & sanding I guess.

View attachment 85437

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20140714_111403.jpg

IMG_20140714_111534.jpg

IMG_20140714_111601.jpg

IMG_20140714_111645.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Good start Patrick , these new top from airfix are great some nice deep panel lines on them :D I'm building the spit MkI with my son well if I can get him away from the play station lol ,

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great start Patrick, I don't suppose with your talent that you'll have a problem with this kit ;)

Lee :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Patrick. Yes, filling and sanding seems the choice of weapon in this instance. I have an Airfix Mark Vb I am slowly working on and it has the exact same issue. People have said in the past that fitting the top halves of the wings to the airframe and then the underside helps to prevent gaps. Personally I've not encountered any 1/72 Spitfire model that this works on, as dry fitting of the top halves of a wing to the fuselage always seems to show a gap. And fitting it flush with that step at the root means the dihedral will be asymmetric.

D

dubster72

Cheers chaps! Aww Joe! I was hoping someone would say "don't worry, there's an easy fix to that problem"!

Blast! Out with the filler & the wet and dry it is!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Filler, a models best friend...or not depending how you look at it o_O

Nice work so far Patrick-you will soon have her airworthy.

Si:smiling3:

N

noble

Nice start Patrick, seam lines one of the reasons I don't do aircraft no matter what I do can't seem to make them disappear.

scott

L

Laurie

On those Patrick I just plug away at sanding as much as possible without wrecking the lines, and bursting through the plastic, and then building up thin layers at a time to make up the distance on the wing side.

That is a real naughty one. I would shave a bit of the plastic on the fuselage side first. Be interested to see how you achieve "perfection" Patrick !

Laurie

Z

Ziper_it

Excellent paint job Patrick.

I built one some time ago and didn't came as clean as yours (wing root sanding included).

Francesco

D

dubster72

Thanks Doug & Francesco! If I went in real close with the camera, you'd see a few depressions where the filler shrank & I didn't notice until I started painting!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good to me Patrick. 1/72 is fiddly, I'll admit that as primarily a 1/72 builder. You're doing a fantastic job.

D

dubster72

Thank you Joe! Knowing how good your builds are, that's high praise for this amateur! :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice choice Patrick. You'll enjoy this. I have a permanently cleared mind and am always disconnected because I model in 1/72. Not a grey hair nor wrinkle on me.
We've only got your word for that Joe.Who knows how old your photo is?!!.