Airfix 1/72nd Westland Sea King HC.4

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Right now here in the UK, the unheated room that I spray in is usually from 9c to 14c is that too cold?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
"Paints, Mr Hobby, Mr Color" (GSI Creos have the Mr Hobby range which includes the Mr Hobby paints)
Be very careful with these that you’re buying the right type! Mr. Hobby is lacquer, while Mr. Aqueous Hobby (also referred to as Mr. Hobby Aqueous or just Mr. Aqueous) is alcohol-based acrylic. If you want one but order the other by accident, you probably have a type of paint you don’t care to use. Look very closely at the names before buying online (IRL you can tell more easily by the labels on the bottles, but still: take care to buy the right type).

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
The laquer paint codes start with a c , the aqueous code starts with an h.1000002908.jpg

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right now here in the UK, the unheated room that I spray in is usually from 9c to 14c is that too cold?
No, it isn't too cold. That's the summer temperature range for here :tears-of-joy:

But I do then transfer them to the mantelpiece (warmer there) to cure.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well, I'm considering this model done now, I've not done any weathering or dirtying up because quite franky it doesn't deserve it and the more I look at it, the more I want to file it (probably in the bin) and forget I ever did this.

I've not added an image because i'd die of embarrassment, it's truly ghastly and shameful indeed.

So this thread is done but I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped me along the way, you were all so great, thank you!

Edit:- You know what, I will show you because I've come to trust you guys and I know you won't mock me.
yuck.png

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
It's completed and you didn't give up on it that's gotta say a lot Steve. Well done buddy - perseverance pays. As Jakko said, it's not half as bad as you intimated.

As for the finish. Hey, don't beat yourself up. I worked on 'Junglie' Wessex deployed to Norway and to be totally honest, we 'daubed' paint on them by hand. The finish would have made modellers cringe :upside: .

Now - what next??

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Yeah i agree with what the guys have said,does look better than you made out and to be fair you did kinda throw yourself in the deep end with the paint scheme so well done.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The finish would have made modellers cringe :upside: .
If you paint a model like the real thing would have actually looked, you wouldn’t win any prizes in contests. The jury report would probably say things like “poorly painted,” “unrealistic,” “unconvincingly weathered” and similar.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There is nothing wrong with that, Steve. It's your first model so don't be so hard on yourself.
John.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Steve thats not that bad and we've all suffered the chest up on a build at some point you did mention about practice with the airbrush if you dislike it that much its a great airbrush test crash dummy. Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'd have been well pleased if my first kit had come out that well! Regardless of any issues you have with the finished thing, you should be proud of your perseverance. That approach bodes very well for your future models.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I think that's what they call 'disaster averted'! The problem solving characteristic of the modeling community wins again! Yaayy!!

Miko (suitably impressed)