Airfix 1/72nd Westland Sea King HC.4

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think I may need some help here. Yesterday I gave the masking two light coats of white to hopefully stop any bleed from the green.
This morning I give it a coat of olive drab, this evening I gave it another coat and when I'd just sprayed it, it looked fine.

few hours later and I just go to look at it and the paint has gone patchy. I've no idea why or how. it wasn't patchy when I sprayed it, I'm sure of it.
No images now as it's dark and the light in my painting room is poor in the evening.

I may have to give it another coat tomorrow but I'm quite baffled why its gone patchy as it dried. any ideas?

Edit:- I just checked again this morning and it's really no where near as bad as I thought, I guess the lighting last night threw me. It is a little patchy in 2-3 areas but it's only a small difference. I'm guessing one more light coat will do the job. - I guess the important lesson here is that lighting is very important.

Last edited:

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just out of interest: what paint are you using and was the humidity high yesterday?

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just out of interest: what paint are you using and was the humidity high yesterday?
I'm using Vallejo acrylics thinned with their thinners and a touch of flow improver.
as for the humidity, I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea, I'm in the UK and yesterday was cold, miserable and gloomy.

I've just given it one more very light coat. I think this should do me. However, I'm utterly terrified of peeling off the masking tape and seeing what horrible mess I've made of this first ever camo job. haha I'm going to give it 4-5 hours to dry properly before even touching it though.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
DISASTER!!!

I've just started taking off the masking and, well I never expected it to be perfect or great with this being my first go at camo, but I'm utterly gutted.
it's taking off chunks of the white paint down to the primer!! I'm not sure I can deal with taking it all off.. just, damn. This is a hard blow.

Two images coming, first how it looked after the last coat of olive drab and then how it looks with just two pieces of masking tape removed.

I'm not sure where I can go from this, I'm so angry at myself, so annoyed. dammit

No1.pngNo2.png

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thats a shame, i would sand it back with some wet and dry and then maybe forget the camo and paint it in the olive.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Just a suggestion but maybe get a couple of the cheapy airfix starter kits just to use as airbrush practice, it takes a while to get it sussed out, my first few experiences with an ab nearly made me bin everything model related ,glad i didnt cos i got there in the end thats not to say i dont still make plenty of cock ups, we all do from time to time.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Was considering trying to hand paint over the ruined bits, but I doubt that would work very well.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
The tape could have been a problem if its very tacky, i lot of people love tamiya tape but i think the adhesive is to thick myself and personally am not a big fan of it,ive started using mr hobby low adhesive tape as well as there standard tape, but sticking and pulling it off the back of your hand a few times will remove some of the tackiness,i also use some automotive masking tape which is very low tack and has a very thin adhesive layer, not halfords or b@q stuff.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The tape could have been a problem if its very tacky, i lot of people love tamiya tape but i think the adhesive is to thick myself and personally am not a big fan of it,ive started using mr hobby low adhesive tape as well as there standard tape, but sticking and pulling it off the back of your hand a few times will remove some of the tackiness,i also use some automotive masking tape which is very low tack and has a very thin adhesive layer, not halfords or b@q stuff.
I'll be honest, I was going to buy some masking tape but found an old roll of white masking tape I had here, but it's just normal every day masking tape.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
In all fairness though all credit to you for giving the camo a go, i bottled it for ages before giving it a go lol

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
i lot of people love tamiya tape but i think the adhesive is to thick myself and personally am not a big fan of it,ive started using mr hobby low adhesive tape as well as there standard tape,
Thats interesting as I find the same with tamiya tape. The adhesive is so thick that the tape "floats" around on it, making accurate masking tricky.

Might have to give the Mr hobby stuff a go :thumb2:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Steve, happens to everyone and frustrated doesn't even start to cut the feeling.
I have found a big issue with plastic kits is the surface being very clean prior to painting. I was with soapy warm water and then after that make sure I do not handle the kit without nitrile gloves so it gets no grease on it.
Furthermore masking tape I only use Tamiya or Mr Hobby. They cost a bit more however it's all about avoiding that feeling you get as you peel back and watch the paint come with it. Lastly angle is important when removing the tape, pull it slowly almost back across itself.

Paint over the damage, chalk it up to experience as it's a great looking camo and a shame to waste a great build. After you've weathered it you won't even notice. Carry on the great work!

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just ordered some low adhesive masking tape from the shop, it's too late for this model but hopefully this won't happen next time.
it's just a case of damage limitation with this model, I've decided it would be wrong to give in and bin it, I need to keep it as a lesson,
so I'm just going to 'attempt' to paint over the damage by hand, yes there will be brush lines but I don't care, I just want this done and forgotten now. haha

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thats interesting as I find the same with tamiya tape. The adhesive is so thick that the tape "floats" around on it, making accurate masking tricky.

Might have to give the Mr hobby stuff a go :thumb2:
Thought it was just me that thought that.:smiling6:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'll be honest, I was going to buy some masking tape but found an old roll of white masking tape I had here, but it's just normal every day masking tape.
There's your problem Steve. Think of it as a learning exercise, and well done for having a go. I wouldn't have been brave enough to mask that camo on a helicopter.
Pete

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Just ordered some low adhesive masking tape from the shop, it's too late for this model but hopefully this won't happen next time.
it's just a case of damage limitation with this model, I've decided it would be wrong to give in and bin it, I need to keep it as a lesson,
so I'm just going to 'attempt' to paint over the damage by hand, yes there will be brush lines but I don't care, I just want this done and forgotten now. haha

Don't let it beat you! you've learned from your mistake so time to come up with a solution

If it were mine I'd strip the paint back to bare plastic and repaint, you're never going to be happy with brush painting.

It'll take time and won't be easy, but it can be done!

Imagine how you'll feel once it's got it's nice new coat of paint, the sense of achievement will be huge!

The secret to a great paint job is preparation preparation preparation!!

Miko (on three. . . 1 - 2- 3: Gooooooooooooooo SteveT!!)