Airfix Avro Vulcan (New tool)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well now, I consider myself a big fan of New tool Airfix kits. I've built a few, including their Valiant which was a breeze to build. So when the new tool Vulcan came along, I expected the same. Don't get me wrong, most new tool kits have there problems to deal with, nothing major, just little quirks.
However, I was soon disappointed. The infamous air intakes, still cause problems. Admittedly, this might be because the real ones are difficult to re-produce in sale. The forward fuselage has quite a gap to deal with. Then there's the landing gear, none of which actually fitted through the holes in the lower fuselage. These are either solid pieces, or pre moulded holes in the lower fuselage, so nothing I did could influence their fitting, I'm saying it wasn't my fault. The vertical stabilizer, just didn't fit. It only required fettling, and in it went, but new tool ? Then there was the ejection seats, fit them as instructed, and the canopy wont fit. Others have reported this problem as well.
Having said all the above. There are some nice touches. The bomb bay is very well detailed, although, you lose all the detail with a Blue Steel machine. All major seams (apart from the fin) line up well and quickly sand to a nice finish. Engine exhaust pipes are nicely done, with Airfix providing a 'jig' to align the pipes up. Out board pipes do actually point in the correct direction (which is not straight behind) Panel lines are recessed, they're maybe a little big, but this is Airfix, with their price to detail ratio in mind, are quite acceptable.

Anyway, here's what I managed to make, all OOB. Paints are by MRP, with Alclad for the satin coat. The real aircraft should be gloss, but I think gloss is a bit too much in this scale.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

And there it is. Turned it nice in the end, it was just a bit of a journey getting there. Lots of proper old tool modeling, not quite what you expect with a new tool kit.

Comments and questions welcomed.

First Name
Andy
Lovely looking model, as you say, pity about the little foibles with a new tool kit.

Andy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Despite the issues, the result looks excellent from here!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Colin

That really has turned out very nicely indeed, despite the problems.

Love the photos too. The way the sunlight plays across it is a nice touch.

ATB.

Andrew

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wonderful result Colin, despite the issues you encountered. A shame there are some build problems with this new tool. Someone once said to me never be the first for anything. Maybe they will rectify these issues in future releases if they are listening to the model makers.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Colin fab build of my fav vulcan very well done indeed looks real but a question if i may what is the RAF copyin the amaericans by havin only one national roundel on the left wing ?
chris

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Colin,
A job well done.
Was the single upper wing roundel only used on this aircraft?
Well thought out and built.
Mike

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for having a look chaps.

Someone once said to me never be the first for anything
That is an absolute must, if buying a car !

The way the sunlight plays across it is a nice touch
That's just me being 'arty'....
is the RAF copyin the amaericans by havin only one national roundel on the left wing
From what I believe, having one roundel is just a balance between camouflage and the ability to ID the national markings, but I could easily be wrong. Who used this method first, I don't know.
Was the single upper wing roundel only used on this aircraft?
The HP Victor and the Valiant of this period also only had the one roundel.

Please don't be put off by my ramblings. If you want a 1:72 Vulcan, this model is well worth the effort.

D

Deleted member 5496

Superb work on a superb looking aircraft Colin.

Have this on the shelf for my Falklands effort Black Buck.
Hope I can achieve approaching your masterclass work

After restoration she came over for the Jersey B of B display.
Few passes. Then she came over the Fort high up & went across the bay
then as the bay end approached she rose & full blast.

Such a noise & all those wings shapes showed in the climb
Magnificent.

Tut you may have persuaded me to build the Vulcan before finishing Jersey Airport.

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Simply beautiful colin , a quality build of an iconic aircraft . All you need now is about a dozen 1/72 scale figures , preferably ugly and dodgy looking , and you can make a Cosford model show dio!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Colin a great build excellent paint job love the camo. Has turn out well despite the problems with the intakes.