Airfix Avro Vulcan (New tool)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just caught up with this Collin, excellent result and the off white under belly softens the overall effect of the camo, giving a very realistic appearance......you've nailed it. :thumb2: Rick H.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's beautiful.

Go on spill the beans, how did you get that camo done so well?

Thanks Del, how ? with this stuff.
1630738701483.png

You use it like the famous blu-tak thin sausages. But Clever putty settles better. If it gets quite warm, it will actually drip off your model, into the carpet, which you don't see until your foot has properly squashed it into the carpet. Also, I completed the camouflage in stages, giving myself and the compressor a rest in between spraying sessions.
IMG_1275.JPG

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Thanks Del, how ? with this stuff.
View attachment 432855

You use it like the famous blu-tak thin sausages. But Clever putty settles better. If it gets quite warm, it will actually drip off your model, into the carpet, which you don't see until your foot has properly squashed it into the carpet. Also, I completed the camouflage in stages, giving myself and the compressor a rest in between spraying sessions.
View attachment 432856
I may try that! Thanks for the tip!

Del

selrach

SMF Supporter
Well now, I consider myself a big fan of New tool Airfix kits. I've built a few, including their Valiant which was a breeze to build. So when the new tool Vulcan came along, I expected the same. Don't get me wrong, most new tool kits have there problems to deal with, nothing major, just little quirks.
However, I was soon disappointed. The infamous air intakes, still cause problems. Admittedly, this might be because the real ones are difficult to re-produce in sale. The forward fuselage has quite a gap to deal with. Then there's the landing gear, none of which actually fitted through the holes in the lower fuselage. These are either solid pieces, or pre moulded holes in the lower fuselage, so nothing I did could influence their fitting, I'm saying it wasn't my fault. The vertical stabilizer, just didn't fit. It only required fettling, and in it went, but new tool ? Then there was the ejection seats, fit them as instructed, and the canopy wont fit. Others have reported this problem as well.
Having said all the above. There are some nice touches. The bomb bay is very well detailed, although, you lose all the detail with a Blue Steel machine. All major seams (apart from the fin) line up well and quickly sand to a nice finish. Engine exhaust pipes are nicely done, with Airfix providing a 'jig' to align the pipes up. Out board pipes do actually point in the correct direction (which is not straight behind) Panel lines are recessed, they're maybe a little big, but this is Airfix, with their price to detail ratio in mind, are quite acceptable.

Anyway, here's what I managed to make, all OOB. Paints are by MRP, with Alclad for the satin coat. The real aircraft should be gloss, but I think gloss is a bit too much in this scale.

View attachment 432095

View attachment 432096

View attachment 432097

View attachment 432098

View attachment 432099

View attachment 432100

View attachment 432101

View attachment 432102

View attachment 432103

View attachment 432104

And there it is. Turned it nice in the end, it was just a bit of a journey getting there. Lots of proper old tool modeling, not quite what you expect with a new tool kit.

Comments and questions welcomed.
Colin, Very nice indeed. I admire the perfectly smooth paint and sheen. The Clever Putty did a great job providing the tight overspray between the camo colours. Very realistic.