And another Revell 1:32 Spitfire Mk 22/24

F

Fenlander

OK, slow start as I didn't get as far last night as expected.

Two immediate thoughts, one is how hard it is to find the bits I want. I wish all sprues were coded with a letter or that they would at least follow a numerical order for the parts on each sprue.... Two, the odd plastic does not respond well to Humbrol Liquid Poly, takes ages to set which is going to be a bind knowing the fit issues.

However, I must be in for trouble later because so far the fuselage dry fits like a dream, seriously, no real problems at all.

The gap between the headrest and the support that Steve pointed out is certainly there and if Steve had not mentioned it, I would have ignored it. However, a simple job to correct.

All the bulkheads are dry fitted except for one side of the rear seat mounting bulkhead which has been tack cemented in to keep it in place while lining up the others. They all fit in with no issues at all.

This is the worst bit of the lower fuselage joint as it stands unglued and just held with tape. It will line up perfectly when cemented as will the upper seam which lines up nicely without glue.

This presumably means I have loads of problems stacking up for later. I really do hope not as it does look a nice aircraft and this is my first 1:32 aircraft kit (don't tell Dave (Gern) as I said I would never go over to his favoured scale lol)

F

Ferrets Bueller

Good progress but just wait till you get to the fun bits.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
No fit issues so far ! I'm only slightly jealous !

Colin M........

B

Bunkerbarge

It could be Graham that you have put the required amount of preparation and planning into the build to ensure the best possible fit.

..........or it could be still sniggering at you!!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Most excellent start there Graham. With the exception of the issue I had behind the seat which was due to a badly moulded fuselage half I agree that to this stage the fit has been perfectly acceptable. I've also built my lower wing assembly which only needed a little tidying although the U/C doors didn't fit and needed a bit of "adjusting".

I suspect that there are a few people just waiting for you to get to what they know to be the,shall we say,more challenging phases of construction. Have you decided how you will go about the infamous wing/fuselage join yet? I just keep staring at the relevant bits!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Steve, not even thought about it yet. The lower wings appear to fit ok, it will be all down to those filler bits. However, if the rest is ok I am sure they can be made to fit..............

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Graham,

Graham, a warning. I was just putting my plane down to rest on it's under carriage for the first time and stopped. I don't believe it's strong enough. I'm now trying to get around this problem, but of course mine is all painted and built up. As you're in the construction stage you might be able to sort this problem out sooner rather than later - unlike me

Maybe Steve has the best cure for this problem !!

Regards

Colin M..

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Graham,Graham, a warning. I was just putting my plane down to rest on it's under carriage for the first time and stopped. I don't believe it's strong enough. I'm now trying to get around this problem, but of course mine is all painted and built up. As you're in the construction stage you might be able to sort this problem out sooner rather than later - unlike me

Regards

Colin M..
Weird as mine is sat on its landing gear with no problem.

F

Fenlander

Thanks for the heads up Colin, I will check it out before I get too far. I think this kit varies quite a bit from one box to another. Shouldn't do but it is odd plastic and may be different in some kits. As I mentioned before, Humbrol Liquid Poly does not stick mine very well yet no one else appears to have had glue issues. Good fun isn't it lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:

Regards

Colin M..
What problem lol! I was always going to pose this one flying but the undercarriage is pretty average and I won't miss it,that and using the pilot (whose very good) to hide the lack of any cockpit detail.

I'm sure they vary but the only real problem I've had is with that twisted nose which I think everyone has had. Mine has gone together mainly with Tamiya extra thin with no problem. Oddly the bits I've tried to stick (rather than fill) with superglue haven't bonded so well. Weird.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Weird as mine is sat on its landing gear with no problem.
So is mine Paul, however, in the long term, I have my doubts so I've slipped a bit of re-enforcement in, just in case.

It is indeed strange plastic Graham, I used Humbrol Liquid poly and super glue with no problem !

Regards

Colin M....

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

The frame bits that fit in between the wings where the guns mount.

In the instructions, it says to cut .8mm of the thickness of these frames and, annoyingly, it shows that it should be cut from the upper surface which has the locating pins on it for lining up the frames to the wing apertures. Has everyone found that this sanding of the whole frame has had to be done? If so, did you take it from the top or the bottom and is .8 mm enough?

Mine hates liquid poly Collin, in fact a bit I stuck on with pints of the stuff on Tuesday fell off when I picked it up today. Appears to work if you clamp it but left to itself, it don't weld lol

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Graham, I sanded them down creating a slight taper making the rear thinner than the front. I didn't measure, just kept trial fitting them inside the wing and found It doesn't take long to get to the correct thinckness. I didn't find the instructions that clear on this point.

Regards

Colin M........

F

Fenlander

Cheers Collin. I was thinking that they just need tapering as a dry fit has the leading edge joining but the trailing edge just a small gap so I will do as you have and sand, fit, sand, fit until it goes together.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have only found one reason why CA glues wont bond: Grease. Well two reasons as I have found that CA don't bond that well on CA!!!??? I can't imagine that you have not washed the sprues before you started, but I have had bit that just wouldn't bond. A quick wipe of thinners on a cotton bud and things where fine. Never heard of poly glue not bonding poly. Thats just weird!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Ian, trust me, this is a weird kit in places lol.

After getting a perfect fit of the internal wing frames, I took a look at the guns and ammo belts and decided there was no way I would get them looking any good so I have taken the frames out (easy as the glue had not set lol) and glued the hatches in place. They are not a great fit either.

Anyway, I now have the upper wings glued to the lower and I have decided to get the 'fillets' fitting to the wing first and then wrestle them to fit to the fuselage as that will be an easier join to sand. Fillet to wing fit is very good so over the weekend, it is down to spraying the interior and getting the fuselage glued up. Hell of a lot of stuff goes inside the fuselage that just will not be seen under any circumstance.

I have built the engine but not yet made my mind up whether to display it or not. Depends how the fit goes I suppose.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Graham I'd be interested in your nose,well not yours but the one on the model!

I don't think you'll have any trouble sorting out the wing/fuselage/fillet joints . As the others have all said it just needs a bit of filler and elbow grease but the nose may make NOT displaying the engine a more difficult option difficult. I left it out and then had to line up all the cowling panels to make a nose section. It's not quite straight but if I hadn't just told you all I'd have got away with it. With the engine in you can leave off at least one side cowling,making things a bit easier.

Cheers

Steve