Andrew's 2x AZ Model Bf 109 G-6 - JG300 'Wilde Sau' (The Hunters and the Hunted)

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
A very nice and realistic paint work, Andrew, and at that scale and with those irregular patterns it's definitely not easy.:thumb2:
I like your home made painting support from a plastic case and some isolation foam; I think I'll borrow your idea.:nerd:
55 1:72 scale decals per plane is a challenging endeavour... it's seems you'll need some extra help to sharpen your sight, to steady your hands and to enhance your patience :smiling: :tongue-out3:.

Andrea

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
A very nice and realistic paint work, Andrew, and at that scale and with those irregular patterns it's definitely not easy.:thumb2:
I like your home made painting support from a plastic case and some isolation foam; I think I'll borrow your idea.:nerd:
55 1:72 scale decals per plane is a challenging endeavour... it's seems you'll need some extra help to sharpen your sight, to steady your hands and to enhance your patience :smiling: :tongue-out3:.

Andrea

Thanks Andy, glad your like it. Long lines at this scale are pretty tricky.... Certainly in my experience!!! ;)

As for the DIY stand, I unashamedly nicked it from someone on here.... Can't remember who unfortunately and give them the credit.

It is a lot of decals but I think both the 109 and Spitfire Airfix Dogfight Doubles I did a couple of years ago was actually more!!

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Both looking superb andrew , as said this type of airbrush work at this scale is very tricky but it looks perfect . Looking forward to the next installment , cheers tony

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Both looking superb andrew , as said this type of airbrush work at this scale is very tricky but it looks perfect . Looking forward to the next installment , cheers tony

Thanks for the support Tony. It is indeed tricky at this scale and fine lines definitely seem to be the hardest...... even harder than blotches I think.

Thanks for stopping by!

ATB.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's looking pretty damned good to me Andrew :smiling3:
Excellent, realistic camo for sure I'd say.These are going to be a stunning pair of fighters mefinks!!
Lovely stuff mate.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's looking pretty damned good to me Andrew :smiling3:
Excellent, realistic camo for sure I'd say.These are going to be a stunning pair of fighters mefinks!!
Lovely stuff mate.

Thanks Andy!!! Glad you're liking them; decals really do bring a plane to life IMHO.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good morning all

As promised I thought I'd do a short-ish comparison of the kit decals and the AM one by H Models....

First though, the good news is that I'm just over half way having added 64 decals so far to the two kits!! The bad news is that the ones left are all the tiny tricky little ones.....:cold-sweat::crying:

Anyway back to the comparison.....

Quality - H Models win. Generally less carrier film except oddly on the numbers, thinner but the kit ones fuselage numbers went down better than I thought. But the AM ones are definitely better ptint quality especially on the small detail stencils and markings, where they also had better colour variation on the 'text' markings rather than the mostly black of the kit decals.

The only problem I had is that H Model large decals stick very well as soon as they go down....so a couple of the crosses are very slightly askew.....i even lost one completely where I had to scrub it off because I slipped as I put in place.

Quantity - AM decals win again. Although you can do four decal options with the kit ones, they only have one set of fuselage 'side' crosses. H Models give four full sets of the 'main' decals, including two part swastikas for those that use them.

Understandably, you only get one set each of the little details markings and 'interestingly' not only do they have a very similar layout, they are numbered exactly the same on both sets. I can only assume there must be a common 'parent' set they've both copied or one has copied the other.

Instructions - AM decals win hands down and I am very glad I bought them because the kit instructions give placement instructions for less than a third of the markings provided - pretty poor in my book. The AM kit has very good instructions for all of them but they don't have the decal numbers on the instructions so I ended up using my phone as a massive magnifying glass in some cases to work out what was what and then wrote them on the destructions.

Also, in once case they call out for double the type of a particular marking provided, causing me to make a mistake.....plus the external fuel tank side aspect drawing has the markings on the bottom but on the overhead drawing they're on the top! So I put them on the bottom so you will at least see them!

So in short H Model decals get the thumbs up with a couple of qualifications

Anyway enough waffle....

ACW as usual.

Andrew

PS apologies for the quality of some the shots - they were taken to prove a point, not quality.

-----------------------------------------------

AM vs Kit
AM first pic.

AM definitely better...

AM destructions

Size
As you can see, they're pretty small......the white blob in the bottom of the second shot is the head of a cotton bud!

On the planes....what this is supposed to be about....
The light blue 'White 7' has the kit decals, except for the crosses and swastikas. The darker 'Yellow 4' is all AM decals.

Other details shots.....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
OK, so I I had a couple of good sessions yesterday and got the rest of the decals on.

A mishap with a couple of the really small ones and previously mentioned slightly dodgy instructions mean a few a missing/in the wrong place/not used but at this scale it's not too obvious I hope.

Next up is to finish the nose mounted MGs and then some weathering. Special thanks to @AlanG and @Ian M for some pointers on the exhaust soot colours and helpful techniques.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

-----------------------