Andrew's 2x AZ Model Bf 109 G-6 - JG300 'Wilde Sau' (The Hunters and the Hunted)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nice indeed Andrew.
Thanks Tim. Glad you're liking it.

Well Andrew the decals look good. Decals add so much to aeroplane builds. Bet you're glad they done. You'll dream of tiny decals tonight - nightmares :smiling:

Thanks Jim. Very glad indeed. I think it might have to taken 5 or 6 sessions and maybe more.... whilst it was a pain not being able to get a couple of good runs at them, at least they had the chance to properly set between sessions and so I didn't lift a single one off whilst adding more.

Lovely job Andrew!

Thanks Bob! Glad you're enjoying it!!!!

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Andrew, White Seven and Yellow Four are the Bomb!!! You should be very proud of these two as they truly represent their Historical forebears. Well done my friend and a Tip 'O the Hat to you. :thumb2: :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew, White Seven and Yellow Four are the Bomb!!! You should be very proud of these two as they truly represent their Historical forebears. Well done my friend and a Tip 'O the Hat to you. :thumb2: :thumb2:
Rick,

Sincerest apologies. Completely forgot to say thanks for your kind words. Not long now. Just waiting for the temperature to drop here in the UK and then a coat of protective varnish before final weathering.

Thanks again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So after a week away last week, I managed to get some more done last weekend and during the week, meaning I'm nearing the finish line.

Last weekend I applied the black over the sides and the fuselage crosses on Yellow 4 plus some exhaust soot on both.

Thanks to @Ian M for suggest Vallejo Game Wash as an option for soot and @AlanG for advice on the colour - to quote: "Luftwaffe aircraft had oily brown stains due to the fuel used coming from coal-oil. Where as allied aircraft had a grey colour due to the high lead octane levels" - therefore I used black, sepia and burnt umber @ 2:1:1, which I think looked ok but needs a bit more experimentation.

The soot is more obvious on the blue one because I used that to experiment with....plus it's merged a with the camo too, which makes it look wider than it actually is. On Yellow 4 it shows up less in part because I was bit more restrained but also because of the darker wing roots.

I also applied some light pin washes over the undercarriage and wheel well using my homebrew off black/brown. It's fairly subtle so it's not that noticeable but I didn't want to go over the top but it is a bit more obvious in real life

ACW as usual.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just had a good ol' catch up with this Andrew,and gotta say .....
...... WOW!! ....
Excellent looking paint schemes on BOTH planes :smiling3:
SUPERB work mate... I love it!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
These are looking better and better. Nice job.
I’ve found the best way to determine the shape of the exhaust staining is by looking at winter camoflage examples, by the way. The white finish shows the shape and extent of staining very well. Unfortunately black and white shots don’t show the colour though :disappointed2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good,getting close to the finish line .
Just had a good ol' catch up with this Andrew,and gotta say .....
...... WOW!! ....
Excellent looking paint schemes on BOTH planes :smiling3:
SUPERB work mate... I love it!!
These are looking better and better. Nice job.
I’ve found the best way to determine the shape of the exhaust staining is by looking at winter camoflage examples, by the way. The white finish shows the shape and extent of staining very well. Unfortunately black and white shots don’t show the colour though :disappointed2:

Thanks chaps!!! Glad you're liking it. I'm pretty pleased with his they're going and despite a few problems I've generally enjoyed the process.

Tim, good point on the exhaust front. Will have a closer look next time on white/lighter paint jobs.

Thanks again chaps.

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Modellus Biblicus

The Book of Wingy Things Ch 12 vs 27-29

And after many days and nights of toil, the Modelling Gods spoke forth and legs did emerge from underneath the roots of the wings of the birds of Messerschmitt. And there was much wonderment amongst the nations as the legs had not feet but behold.....discs with rims of rubber!!! And then there was much rejoicing in the world as all that beheld the wonders before them realised that the end doeth approach!!!!

Here endeth the lesson.

Ok, so now I've got that out of my system the undercarriages are indeed on, as are the drop tanks. So all I've got to do now is at the pitot tubes and antennas, and then then give it a final clear coat followed by the antenna 'wires'.

Getting the angles right for the wheels, undercarriage struts and covers was not helped by some fit issues and poor instructions - the blue ones in particular are not fitted well/correctly so I think one wing looks a bit high but at least I worked out with Yellow 4.......but personally I'm blaming Willy Messerschmitt for not considering modellers when designing this plane and not keeping everything as nice to follow right angles!!! ;) :smiling5:

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Great progress! These night fighters were so cool using so many different non standard camos. And hats of on perseverance - I started a couple of AZ kits but after some really big fit issues just put them back into boxes.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great progress! These night fighters were so cool using so many different non standard camos. And hats of on perseverance - I started a couple of AZ kits but after some really big fit issues just put them back into boxes.
Thanks Seb. Glad you like them.

As I said earlier in the thread, the fit wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I'm calling this done.....the canopy masks came off and the radio antenna cables added.

The Montex masks came off beautifully. The kit supplied masks, not quite so smoothly, so I had to do some touching up. The kit supplied ones were definitely inferior and noticeably thicker.

However what I did discover is that vinyl masks, at least on these builds don't like going around tight angles i.e. at the rear corners.

I think it's because at this scale the angles are too tight for the inherent 'springiness' of the material. You then combine that with actually very little canopy for the glue to adhere to and this resulted in them lifting. Fortunately a wet cocktail stick was sufficient to scrape the overspray off.

The 'cable' is clear fishing line painted black. The tension on the blue one could be better but it will do.

Thanks to all who have joined me on the ride and your support, it's what makes this such a great forum.

More pics will appear in the completed section soon.

ATB.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi all

So I'm calling this done.....the canopy masks came off and the radio antenna cables added.

The Montex masks came off beautifully. The kit supplied masks, not quite so smoothly, so I had to do some touching up. The kit supplied ones were definitely inferior and noticeably thicker.

However what I did discover is that vinyl masks, at least on these builds don't like going around tight angles i.e. at the rear corners.

I think it's because at this scale the angles are too tight for the inherent 'springiness' of the material. You then combine that with actually very little canopy for the glue to adhere to and this resulted in them lifting. Fortunately a wet cocktail stick was sufficient to scrape the overspray off.

The 'cable' is clear fishing line painted black. The tension on the blue one could be better but it will do.

Thanks to all who have joined me on the ride and your support, it's what makes this such a great forum.

More pics will appear in the completed section soon.

ATB.

Andrew

WOW and WOW again !!
They look excellent Andrew, very well done indeed :smiling3:
Been a thoroughly enjoyable thread from start to finish mate,love it!!
Andy