Andy T's 1/48 ICM I-153

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks again chaps.

I had a bit of a nightmare last night while fitting the upper wing. I must have squeezed the wings together a bit too much and snapped one of the struts.

So there I was, in the middle of cooking a meal, rummaging around on the floor to find the missing piece, running to the kitchen to keep an eye on our food, trying to get the strut in place before the rest of the glue hardened up.

Slightly stressful but got it sorted :tears-of-joy:

Nice job and like the nice sharp masking on the camo, what did you use for that? getting some bleeding on mine
Just Tamiya tape Mark.

For most of the black to green areas I selected a piece of the right kind of width and cut wavy edges on it. Once in place I rub it down firmly with a finger or cotton bud and spray the first couple of coats lightly to help seal the edge.

That usually works okay for me but a tip is to spray a light coat of the underlying colour first, or even a clear varnish, which will seal the tape edges and if it does bleed underneath, won't be seen.

For the underside I cut the tape into 1mm strips so I could bend it easily and follow the pattern.

I'm lucky that I've had a lot of masking practice in the day job. This is something I did for a mates motorbike yesterday, to match the plain black knuckle guards into the new graphics I'd put on the bike. All masking tape, 4 colours mixed by eye, and plenty of smoke & mirrors lol

1000006863.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Neil, he was pretty happy with it :smiling3:

I'm putting it all down to Iwata :tears-of-joy:
Mini LPH80 for the colours, midi W300 WB for clear.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
All looking great Andy. Cockpit looks fine. Very neat paint job. As for the yellow being too wide - looks fine to me and whose to know anyway?
Your 1:1 job looks superb. No wonder you can mask models :smiling:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jim. I can easily live with the yellow band, I just need to remember my masking faux pas for the future (I masked on the wrong side of my intended finish line) in case it's something more obvious next time :smiling3:

There wasn't much to this one so it's finished already. More pics later and thanks for letting me join in again.

1000006888.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job andy , i’ll keep a look out for the completed pics, cheers tony