Andy T's Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mkll

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Ian & Brian.

Currently wrestling with the decals. I've had a good run of late but these ones are fighting back!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Andy. I used the tamiya PE rigging set on my build which I seem to remember worked fine, until I tried to fit the 'left' wing I think, and a few popped off ! However, I saw you test fitted your wing and all was good.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you both. I'm still toying with the idea of fitting the rigging once the wings are fully in place. Access won't be so good but it'll hopefully avoid them popping off as I jiggle the wings into place, which seems quite common.

Decals finally toed the line. A couple split and many silvered badly, but persevering with a sharp blade, some heat, and plenty of microsol did the trick.

1000006158.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s looking really good Andy. Excellent work so far.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tim.

I've been working on the ordinance. The torpedo is a bit of artistic license. Needs a matt coat on the red but still doesn't look as I'd imagined it in my head, so may get repainted.

1000006176.jpg

The wings have been fixed on and I'm working on the rigging. All I can say is horrendous! I understand see why they say "for experts" :tears-of-joy:

1000006175.jpg

Thankfully the rest of the build has gone rather quickly so I've got plenty of time to work my way through the rigging.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim.

I've been working on the ordinance. The torpedo is a bit of artistic license. Needs a matt coat on the red but still doesn't look as I'd imagined it in my head, so may get repainted.

View attachment 499733

The wings have been fixed on and I'm working on the rigging. All I can say is horrendous! I understand see why they say "for experts" :tears-of-joy:

View attachment 499732

Thankfully the rest of the build has gone rather quickly so I've got plenty of time to work my way through the rigging.
Well, looking at that finish I’d say that rigging is for experts like you! She looks magnificent!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks very much Tim!

Really it's all just smoke, mirrors, and flattering camera angles :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Your Swordfish looks awesome Andy. Terrific work. You’ve fair galloped through this build and it looks as though you really enjoyed it.
ATB
Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking superb as usual andy , the paintwork is beautifully done. I love the FAA extra dark sea grey/ slate grey scheme it always looks great on any aircraft . Cheers tony

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you both.

Yes, it's been a really enjoyable build so far. The rigging is a bit of a challenge but I'll muddle through.

I'm not great at the super detailing side so try really hard on the paint to make my models stand out.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Yeah Andy, What Colin said!!!...And that paint scheme and finish is fine as wine Sir!!! All that dancing to keep warm in the cold shed has paid off in Spades my friend...

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a stunner Andy. Totally agree with your thoughts on very misty coats of acrylics. That's a very nice paint job and your preshading is a new one on me.. Rigging is always a fiddly job.
Decals finally toed the line. A couple split and many silvered badly, but persevering with a sharp blade, some heat, and plenty of microsol did the trick.
I know about the sharp blade to get rid bubbles and the use of MicroSol but I've not of heard of heat. How does that work?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks very much for the great comments gentlemen. The oil paints are taking forever to dry in these temperatures, meaning I'm having to wear gloves to prevent fingerprints.

So tweezers, gloves, CA glue that takes ages to set and the occasional shiver from the cold. No wonder it's a task :smiling5:

I know about the sharp blade to get rid bubbles and the use of MicroSol but I've not of heard of heat. How does that work?
The side roundals in particular sit over some quite deep relief. Heat makes the decals more pliable & stretchy, helping them to conform without too many chemicals, which I find can make them brittle.

I picked it up from applying vinyl & graphics in the day job, where we sometimes "heat shrink" them around complex shapes, or pierce and shrink bubbles away.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Andy. A useful tip now in my little black book of useful tips.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy
So sorry I'm so late, thought I had commented at the beginning. What a superb job as always, I bet watching you spray a car is a joy.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks John, great to have you along.

I'm sure I've got a couple of videos of me painting somewhere, I might try and dig them out.

I've a Ferrari to paint in the morning. No idea which model, they all look the same to me :tears-of-joy:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great job on the Old String bag, Andy, paintwork is exquisite.
On your day job are masking part of your preparation to spraying?

Cheers,
Wabble

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Richard. I've managed to knock a few things off and damage the paint while attempting the rigging, but I should be able to hide it all in the photos :smiling3:

Yes, often the prep and masking is the bigger part of the job. I'm old school so can do most parts of the process.