Another 1/32 Westland Whirlwind

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My next effort will be another Whirlwind fighter from the Special Hobby kit.

It will be in the Day Fighter Scheme (grey/green), meaning I will have to source some decals or masks other than those in the kit, most of which are not correct for a Whirlwind as late as 1943.

It will be posed in flight.

My victim is probably going to be P7062 of No.263 Squadron, coded HE-L.

It was an aircraft lost on an exercise in an accident which killed the pilot, Flt. Sgt Francis 'Frank' Hicks, a man from Tasmania who had travelled to the other side of the world to fight Nazism. The model is a tribute to men like him and also all the thousands that were KIFA (killed in a flying accident). Their sacrifice is none the lesser.

I will make occasional updates, but not a full build thread as that has already been done.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one steve , looking forward to this

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A very nice tribute Steve, looking forward to the updates.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another great build of one of my favourite aircraft, what’s not to like…..

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well, it's been a LONG time since I posted this but I've finally got underway.

This may well be a protracted build because, once again, minor inconveniences like earning a living are definitely going to interfere!

I'm also changing the subject. I don't want yet another British aircraft in a standard scheme, so I've cast about for something a little more exotic. The kit contains the wing hard points for a 'Whirlibomber' as well as universal bomb carriers and 250lb and 500lb bombs. The 500lbers have the wrong tail for the Whirlwind, so would need some 'adjustment'. Oddly there are no steps in the instructions for fitting any of this but it's not rocket science.

Given the above I've settled on an aircraft that was marked for and flew Operation Starkey, probably this one, flown by Flt/Lt Dave Ross (Flight Commander) during the Starkey Operations.

whirli_1.jpg

That's a 500lb short tail bomb in the foreground.

I've already got a Whirlwind posed on the ground so this one will be in flight.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very cool! Love a Whirlwind!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Will stick around for this, have always loved the Whirlwind. I don't think my experiment in de-yellowing my canopy is working so will just have to enjoy seeing you build yours.

Cheers,
Wabble

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That is huge and heavy looking...practise bomb perhaps or a dud?

Cheers,
Wabble

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is huge and heavy looking...practise bomb perhaps or a dud?

Cheers,
Wabble
It's not coloured for a practice bomb. Oddly, from the shape, it looks like a 500lb GP bomb, the more common MC version had parallel sides, which this doesn't look to have. It's a British built bomb with one suspension lug which I think is screwed rather than welded to the bomb body (more evidence for a GP bomb).

I can't read the filling and obviously the coloured bands are...errrr...in black and white but I think I can just make out a line 1" from the nose, which would be red, and the other band 8" from the nose is clearly visible and could be light green indicating Amatol, blue RDX, light blue Torpex. TNT had two bands, light green and black.

The man on the right (and standing by the aircraft in the first picture) is Joe Hanmore, who was an Armourer.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good to see this back on the stocks. Love a whirlwind as well. Got a part finished 1/48 somewhere……

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great to see this return steve , gotta love a whirlwind , the bombs and paint scheme are going to make this stand out from the usual whirlwinds , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I did say I wouldn't do a gazillion updates, because this is the second time I've built this kit, but having had a fair bit of time over the last couple of days I thought that I'd show I have actually started...this time :smiling3:

P1010656.JPG

Same old kit. Not bad, some mouldings are a bit soft but everything is there. The instructions are awful!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s where the advantage of experience comes in :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This has gone surprisingly well. Fuselage and wings are not yet attached, just a dry fit.

P1010657.JPG
Obviously 'in flight' means with a pilot, hence the fella in the background who I have barely even started. He's a resin figure from PJ Productions who was already tucked away in a draw, probably meant for some project I've forgotten about :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve. If you struggle to find markings for your chosen scheme I’ll gladly cut you some masks. The codes and roundels are fine but you’re probably better off sourcing decals for the serial. Fabulous progress (as usual) and I look forward to the progress.
Cheers
Paul