Another ship that I started before hms victory by my self but did not finish the C.S.S. ALABAMA 1:96

D

Deleted member 3568

Masts is always a good sign, I see your not using the mast jig in the pic there, maybe you don't know about it, that Toblerone in the background there Jim, if you unwrap it you can use the segments to keep your mast at right angles and upright, try it, I keep a bar just for that purpose. It don't work so well in warm weather though.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Hi James, nice work so far mate.
Right, rusting and weathering. As Ken pointed out it would have been easier to paint and weather while not loads of other gear around it-but never mind.

I take it the stack is going to be a matt black?

I use rust pigments-three:Mig- Old Rust/New Rust/Rail Rust all applied using Mig-Pigment fixer.

With a combination of the three you get looks like this:

1/144 U-boat total submerged look.

View attachment 131726

View attachment 131727

1/12 tractor with same pigments used on barrel/smoke stack and pipe and on the tractor tractor in places. The black smoke on top of the exhaust stack is black-smoke pigment, gives a good look of soot.

View attachment 131728

View attachment 131729

Here is a 1/144 scale sunken sub with concretions and rust staining.

View attachment 131730

View attachment 131731

Remember that in your scale you will only need small amounts, you can reactivate the pigment using the pigment fixer at any time-unless you have sealed the model with a varnish. Use a very fine brush or micro-applicators.

I think you meant Ratlines and not Rat runs:D Only thing is using rigging twine/thread and a steady hand and making your own.

Here is the link to John's shop, it shows the various rust pigments.

Here is the link to John's shop, it shows various smoke pigments.

Here is the link to John's shop for pigment fixer.

Si:smiling3:
Si, your rust sets the benchmark. Never seen better anywhere, and makes me even more niggled that I wasted £20 on Rustall. Needless to say I use your technique now! :smiling:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That looks very nice James, coming along.

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
hi all good news I got the new part for the HMS VICTORY came to my house Wednesday last week :D but I have not got a very small paint brush to paint between the windows and I mean small paint brush because I also have to paint certain parts black and the wooden parts yellow and the glass blue I looked on Scale Model Shop but I can not fined the smallest brush for the job and now it's a headache to find the smallest tipped paint brush:mad:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That's looking real good James. I will be watching as you go along.

D

Deleted member 3568

Jim that is looking good, the thing with rigging is to watch the tension on all of it if you tension one bit too much, like for instance when you do the top of the mast if you over tension all the lower rigging will go slack, also if you over tension the next mast it will bend the first and if you continue to over tension by the time you get to your last mast the bend can be quite alarming, I am a beginner with rigging but I found superglue is worth its weight in gold here once you have the tension just right a dab of superglue and you can let go of the thread job done.

james pithouse

First Name
James
thanks ken done bit more rigging on the C.S.S. Alabama I got tension just right but can not do any more rigging as the instructions are very vague so I ask revell to send me a better rigging plan for the ship so I can carry on here is more rigging pics ignore time and date stamp i used micro clamps to help hold the rigging in place then i used ordinary modeling glue to hold the knots I made. still loads more rigging on this oneView attachment 121922

IMG_0002.JPG

D

Deleted member 3568

Jim they won't send any more rigging instructions what you got is all you will get, look on the Internet for how other people have rigged it (there will be other people who have built this kit, not necessarily on this forum (although I've not checkex) try revell-ations that's revells own forum)

james pithouse

First Name
James
hi ken I also asked a navel museum in the u.s.a by e-mail if the have the rigging plans for the c.s.s Alabama just waiting for reply

D

Deleted member 3568

If you do get rigging instructions from the naval museum good luck with understanding them, revells instructions would be simplified rigging what you will get from the museum will be full rigging. Believe me that is different animal altogether, what you have to understand is as you reduce the scale you have to simplify for instance you couldn't reproduce the workings of a watch at 1/100, that's 100 times smaller than a watch, so let's say a watch is 50 millimetres in circumference if you reduce that by 100 you would have a watch of 1/2 a millimeter do you think there is any technologie that could produce components to make a clockwork watch measuring 1/2 a milimeter, no they would simplify. You really need to find pics of how someone else has rigged it, I find quite often photos are easier than instructions.

Here endeth the sermon, sorry to seem like I'm making things difficult, I'm not, I'm trying to help.

D

Deleted member 3568

Incidentally jim what you have done so far looks great.

james pithouse

First Name
James
thanks all I rang revell today and explained the rigging, and she explained the rigging to me and now I under stand the part where I was stuck, after she explained it all to me. P.S. I had and accident last night on the way to darts. I put pics on here if you want you all might find it funny but It bloody hurt at the time if screamish look away if not enjoy:mad:

D

Deleted member 3568

Where's the pics jim I can't see them, what did you do, you plonker.