ARNHEM: Major General R E URQUHART'S HIDE OUT HOUSE Zwarteweg 14

First Name
Richard
Thanks Moni and Kp and i think Hobbes?

i kind of knew what scarves are;), but didn't really knew what you meant by pale:rolleyes:

The scarves will be done after i finish the heads, so they can get a good blend to the overall figurines, need to do the shoes and the last details and then the heads.

Thanks allot for the info, help and compliments.

Cheers Richi

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richi

This is truly outstanding work. The street setting is superb and the detail on the Stug is magnificently done. You're really pouring everything into this build and it is simply gob smacking!

If I might make a small observation about the figures. I noticed you're using the German Ardennes figures and, whilst the work on them is awesome ,I'm not entirely sure that they're completely appropriate for Arnhem. I'd, at the very least, stay clear of using the Sturmgewehr assault rifles as I'm pretty sure these weren't issued until the winter Ardennes offensive. The winter reversible camouflage uniforms may be another issue but I think this could be glossed over if the poses are right.

Again, outstanding work Richi this is going to be something very special when the culmination of all your efforts are brought together. I'm really looking forward to this.

Cheers

Paul

First Name
Richard
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your compliments and inside.

Yes, I know about the figurines got some 20 to do and not sure if they will fit with the diorama and time.

I totally agree with the Stg 44 as for the uniforms it is a challenge because there were a lot of different units on the battlefield.

Here are some pictures i use as a reference for the German uniforms, i found these in different Market Garden books like Osprey, Concord and ofcorse the www.

View attachment 91577

View attachment 91578

View attachment 91579

View attachment 91580

View attachment 91581

View attachment 91582

And if I am not mistaken in the 5th picture they have those winter reversible camouflage uniforms or what do you think Paul? I found that picture in the concord book German Armored Units at Arnhem.

Like to hear your opinion on that Paul and thanks again for your input;) and compliments.

Cheers Richi

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richi

I have the same book - it's a great info source with large pics and profiles of vehicles. Yes, those look like winter reversible uniforms with improvised sprayed helmets. You're right about the mix of uniforms - the soldiers in the bottom pics are in fact from a Luftwaffe regiment (being an anti-aircraft battalian). There's a real mixed bag of uniforms from the Italian splinter camo (officer bottom pic), normal tunics, pea and oak leaf camo, and goes to show the real refit and recuperation mode of the units stationed here.

I think you'll be fine with the figures, I'd maybe just stay clear of the Sturmgewehr and the PPS submachine gun. The soldier in the 3rd pic (with 280 Stug brigade) is actually carrying a Mk3 sten recovered from the parachutist prisoners.

I don't know for certain Richi but I think the tank that stopped outside the house was probably either a Panzer Mk III or Mk IV belonging to Kampfgruppe Meilke. I don't have my info in front of me, as I'm at work, but I've always thought this to be the case.

That said I would not be offended to see a Stug there and I know the actual model will be superb.

Keep it going Richi I'm really impressed by your model skills and your longevity on the project.

Brilliant stuff

Paul

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
WOWSERS!!:eek:

That is huge!!

I'll be watching with interest! :smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
The detail................ makes a grown man wanna cry!

Simply marvelous!! :D

First Name
Richard
Thanks allot Gavin,

Glad you like it.

Hi Paul,

about that Stug III, here's the link I got it from LINK and there they are talking about the Stug III in front of the house, I quote:

''Retreating down some narrow alleyways, with the Germans close by, the General and his two companions were called into the back of No 14 Zwarteweg, and shown into the attic. The Germans were now all round, with a Stug III assault gun in the street out front. Trapped, they would remain here pretty much useless until "released" by men of 2nd South Staffs on the morning of 19th September.''

If you got something else, please let me know as I want it to be as authentic as it can be (tosatisfy myself):rolleyes:

Cheers Richi

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richi

That sounds like pretty conclusive evidence to me.

I'd always heard the description of the vehicle as a 'tank' outside the house. Now I know that most people would describe a tracked vehicle as a tank but we are talking about parachute reg officers. I'd assumed with the timeline of events that the vehicle most probably belonged to Kampfgruppe Mielke - Mielke being one of the first German units on the scene (this may still be the case as they may have had some Stugs - you could check the book on this). I would be surprised if it belonged to 280 as most 75mm Stugs were engaged with the paras on Utrechtseweg, but I could be wrong (this may be chronologically after Utrechtsweg) and, as I say, I haven't any of my ref here.

It's great to see you've done your homework on the scene and as far as I can tell it sounds accurate.

Hope you don't mind me questioning things, I would welcome informed debate on any of my builds (to be honest I could have done with a bit of help on the Spits!)

Anyway

Great stuff keep it up, when I get in I'll take a look through my ref and see if I can raise anything else.

Cheers

P

First Name
Richard
Hi Paul,

I think it is the right way (at least for me it is), to question these things because there is so much material on it, and i always like a good constructive debate.

The Sturmgeschützbrigade 280 has sent only 10 AFVs - 7 x StuG III (different variants), 3 x StuG42 (Sd.Kfz. 142/1) and 1 x SPW (Sd. Kfz. 251/8) and this was on the 19 of September so maybe it was shortly before they engaged in the fight but that's just speculation.

Thanks again for the help Paul.

Cheers Richi

C

callmehobbes

Have you seen Operation Market Garden then and now vol 2? It's an excellent photo reference book. German reversible camo suits were worn by some units (at least that how it looks to my eye) but so many units were thrown together that almost every type of clothing could be found. "It never snows in September" is well worth a read.

Good info on the Stug's.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richy

I think that chronologically the battle on Utrechtsweg happened before Urquhart's enforced stay at the house. Urquhart left Oosterbeek to try and overcome the communications difficulties and organise the 3 groups sent to Arnhem bridge. I think the battle on Utrechtsweg was one of those routes and it would follow that the major's 'stay' came after (or at least during). I could be wrong and 280s action was simply that of dislodging the Paras from the area but I think it was to stop the advance of one of the 3 groups.

I'll be home soon and see if I can dig anything out.

Cheers P

Ps. I'm sure you are, but be careful with some of the captioned pics in the book. Some are from much later in the battle for Arnhem and Nijmegen and depict the German counterstrike across the bridge and on to 'the island' or the attacks on 'Hell's highway'.

Pps. I have the film 'Theirs is the Glory' mentioned toward the back of the book. It features many actual vehicles involved in the battle for Arnhem and Oosterbeek including a 506 king Tiger. It also stars some of the actual paras themselves!

First Name
Richard
Thanks Hobbes,

See if I can find it in the library if not the www will find it for me

Hi Paul Thanks.

Yeah, I got that movie too look at the movie 4 times this year, great reference and a great effort from those veterans who played in the movie.

Yes, I know with the books it is always difficult to really put a time stamp on the pictures. I got some books of the newer wars from osprey like Bosnia, Afrika, Desert Storm and these books have also some failures in the pics (how do I know, I was there as a professional soldier for UN and NATO).

But that's beside the point. Can't wait what you can dig up.

Thanks again Paul

Cheers Richi

First Name
Richard
Found some more information LINK

and a picture that could explain allot Zwarteweg is a side street of the Utrechtseweg.

View attachment 91613

Cheers Richi

08_Punt8_pluslegenda_4sept.jpg

C

callmehobbes

A street in Arnhem, also by Robert Kershaw is a another valuable resource. It focuses on the the fighting up and down the Utrechtseweg looking at the battle from the eyes of the allies, the Germans and the Dutch civilians.

T

tommy1drop

Fantastic work Richi, the attention to detail is totally amazing mate, really love the Stug and the figures.

This is model art at its best, so much to see, and I`m looking forward to seeing more;)

First Name
Richard
Hi all,

Thanks for the great compliments that is highly motivating.

Here is a small update on the Para’s

First is my color pallet for the trousers and then it went on with shading and highlighting and the shoes. Last pictures are the heads receiving a wash after he dry brushing now drying for the next step.

But here are the pictures

View attachment 91628

View attachment 91629

View attachment 91630

View attachment 91631

View attachment 91632

View attachment 91633

View attachment 91634

View attachment 91635

View attachment 91636

View attachment 91637

View attachment 91638

View attachment 91639

View attachment 91640

View attachment 91641

View attachment 91642

View attachment 91643

View attachment 91644

View attachment 91645

enjoy

Cheers Richi

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 001.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 002.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 005.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 007.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 008.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 009.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 011.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 012.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 013.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 021.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 022.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 023.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 024.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 025.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 015.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 016.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 018.jpg

1_35 Figurines Market Garden 020.jpg

T

tommy1drop

Richi those figures look great, the faces are superb, this really is turning out great;)

0ne48thtel

Richi this is turning out to be a blindingly great build and so much attention being paid to the detail.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richi

Sorry, had visitors this evening.

After a quick look through my Arnhem books I can say Urquhart stayed at the house on the night 18/19th Sept, the Utrechtsweg battle (with 280 brigade) happened on the 19th. From your own link Urquhart had spoken to Fitch in command of 3rd Para Battalion who'd made their way up 'Tiger' route (one of the three I was talking about - Lion [Frost], Tiger and Leopard).

I don't want to say too much more than this because this weekend I'm going to sit down and try and get a blow by blow account of what happened. There is so much reference material on this it should be quite easy. But my understanding at the moment is that Urquhart did catch up with 3rd Batt and then tried to move on beyond them and that's when he got trapped at the house. For their part 3rd battalion's battle with 280 was the final chapter in a bloody and lengthy battle to get to the bridge, with their number being reduced to about 100 men before the intervention of 280.

Now it seems there is only 2 options for a Stug at No 14 Zwarteweg and that is: 1. 280 Stug brigade or 2. 10SS Frundsberg. Given the proximity of Zwarteweg to Utrechtseweg and the dates/times involved it seems highly likely that the Stug belonged to 280.

The figures are coming along nicely Richi - this is going to look great.

All the best

Paul

First Name
Richard
Hi Paul and Thanks allot.

Yes, you are right, there is so much to find on Market Garden and also so many different stories.

Will be waiting patiently and thanks again.

Cheers Richi