Aviation Movies

W

Wowbagger

Okay, I love aviation movies but am sure there must be a whole heap I've missed ever hearing of, nevermind actually seeing. So let's see if we can work up a definitive list, that way we can be on the look out for them when they appear on TV.

Also post here if you spot a film on TV so's we can get our VCR's ready to catch it.

My list: (in no particular order) This list added to as members suggest them.

This * means a members suggestion.

12 o' clock High

633 Squadron *

Aces High

Air America

Airplane! *

Biggles *

Black Hawk Down *

Black Sheep Squadron *

Blue Max *

Capricorn One *

Cloud Dancer

Con Air *

Conquest Of The Air

Dambusters

Dawn Patrol

Deadly Encounter

Flying Leathernecks

Hindenberg *

Into The Unknown

Memphis Belle *

Murphy's War

Night Crossing

Operation Crossbow *

Reach For The Sky

Target for Tonight *

The Battle Of Britain

The First Of The Few

The Flight Of The Pheonix

The Great Waldo Pepper

The Right Stuff *

The Rocketeer

The Spirit Of St. Louis

The Sound Barrier

They Flew Alone

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Top Gun *

Tora Tora Tora *

Wings

No, didn't want 633 Squadron - cheesy effects spoil it completely! The book is superb though!

So, add the missing movies...

Last edited:
A

adzam

top gun

really cheesy story, but some of teh cinematography is superb

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Does Red Dwarf or Black Hawk Down count :D

D

duncan

Watched them making some of the real flying shots for 663. Cairngorms was the location.

W

Wowbagger

633 squadron and Top Gun added to the list.

Somebody help me on Black Hawk Down, I've never seen it. Is it a bone for fido ( :cheesygri ) aviation film or not?

D

duncan

Including TV ,,,His Holiness The Devine Boddo did" Flambards" with plenty R/C models. "Empire of the Sun" had P51 Mustangs as the brat shouted. I was going to shout back " ..they are 1/4 scale models !" or do miniature flying (un-manned) machines not count ?:rolleyes:

W

Wowbagger

Yeah, but can they be classed as aviation films in the same way as, say, The Great Waldo Pepper?

Another puzzling one is on on Friday, Channel Five 2.05 pm. The Birdmen. About the glider built in a loft in Colditz Castle by POW's in which they were going to escape. Could that really be classed as an aviation film? The flying bit only lasts a couple of minutes. Whadyathink?

Also Airplane! is on on Wednesday ,Channel Five at 10.35 am. Now that is an aviation film! Added to list.

A

adzam

aha !

i have thought of another, which i`m having probs trying to remember the title.

it involves a B52 on a bombing mission after russia fires nuc`s at us, the b52 loses contact with base , and has dilemna of dropping bomb or returning to us.

i think it may be called "the day after" but not sure.

D

duncan

"Capricorn one" great sequence with Telly Savalas ( Kojack) in a Stearman (or Waco) and a couple of R/C helis loaded with napalm crashing into cliffs.

W

Wowbagger

Capricorn One added.

Adz', I know the one you mean but am at a loss too...

D

duncan

:ohno: Hope you are not putting in "Flying Down to Rio" with Fred Astair et al , Worst mock-up flying shots ever with a dozen dancing wing-walkers on an unrecognisable biplane. Yuck. What was the oldie with James Robertson Justice as airline pilot in fogbound Stratocruiser in BOAC livery ?:noidea:

D

duncan

The Linbergh one with James Stewart, what was that called.? He was a bomber pilot in WW2 so he gets my nod. Stewart that is,not so sure about Lindy though. Edit; just read list Wowb , Spirit of St Louis, of couse . Silly me.:shoot:

Last edited:
D

duncan

The B52s that couldnt be recalled was that Dr. Strangelove ? Similar theme but not 100% flying movie.

W

Wowbagger

:ohno: Hope you are not putting in "Flying Down to Rio" with Fred Astair et al ' date=' Worst mock-up flying shots ever with a dozen dancing wing-walkers on an unrecognisable biplane. Yuck. What was the oldie with James Robertson Justice as airline pilot in fogbound Stratocruiser in BOAC livery ?:noidea:[/quote']No, deffo no Fred Astair!

Yep, Dr Stragelove. Yeeehaaa!

Dunno what that one was called Dunc', I think I vaguely remember it though.

Also, wasn't there a film made of the Neville Shute Norway book, "No Highway", about metal fatique on a certain make of airliners tail? Cracking good read (forgive the pun!) but can't say I remember much about the film.

Last edited:
D

duncan

Neville Shute prompted the grey matter and airships came to mind ,Wasnt he involved in R101 ? So how about "Hindenburg" and the other WW1 Zeppelin drama with plot that ends up at Loch Ness would you believe ! It might have been called "Riddle of the Sands"

W

Wowbagger

Good one Dunc'! Hindenberg added.

Re: Neville Shute. Yes, he worked with Barnes Wallis on the R100 at Vickers, he was Chief Calculator (head of the Math tribe! - Okay, I'll get me coat...). He wrote a brilliant book about this (autobiographical) and the rival "goverment" airship, R101, called "Slide Rule". A very interesting read indeed. Recommended.

D

duncan

How could we forget "Airplane", on TV ch5 tonight (Wed) and all the sequels. :great:

D

duncan

"Target for Tonight" WW2 Brit propaganda epic, bomber crew tribute. Lots of real footage taken on raids over Germany. Another similar "Coastal Command". On a lighter theme was the guy and little girl who led a flock of geese to wintering grounds in USA with microlights. (Based on real events in Holland and France.) Cant remember the name, great air to air shots.

Last edited:
W

Wowbagger

"Target for Tonight" WW2 Brit propaganda epic' date=' bomber crew tribute. Lots of real footage taken on raids over Germany. Another similar "Coastal Command". On a lighter theme was the guy and little girl who led a flock of geese to wintering grounds in USA with microlights. (Based on real events in Holland and France.) Cant remember the name, great air to air shots.[/quote']Seen it a couple of times but ditto on the name, arrgghh!

Target for Tonight added.