Aviation Movies

D

duncan

There was one about RAF Mosquito Squadron in far East (Malaya, I think) with Gregory Peck suffering battle fatigue and mental breakdown. Dont know the name, any ideas?:shoot:

D

duncan

Biggles never went to Malaya...did he.? Oh I see what you mean.:rolleyes:

W

Wowbagger

Biggles added. How could it have taken us a week? :rolleyes:

Missing titles for:

The one with the geese and microlights

Gregory Peck in Malaya with Mosquito's (DH airplane, not the insect!)

James Robertson Justice as the Captain of a BOAC Strat'.

The one with the tail fatigue on some airliner or other. (Based on Neville Shute book)

Oooh! Just thought of another myself! Flying Leathernecks starring John Wayne.

Then there's that one with Jimmy Cagney and a complicated plot and tons of flying. I think Cary Grant was in it too, but maybe not...

Talking of Cary Grant, what's that one where he's chased around in the corn by a crop spraying Stearman (I think)? :dontknow:

A

adzam

aint that james stewart ??

wowbagger , i may be wrong

summit about point west i think , but need clarified .

W

Wowbagger

Pretty sure it's Cary Grant, although the way my memory is nowadays maybe not...

A

adzam

ahhh, i aint that old yet so i couldn`t say for definate

your probably right mate.

W

Wowbagger

The Rocketeer is on in an hour! Channel 5, 6pm.

Worth watching just to see that lovely Gee Bee Sportster Model Z flying.

D

duncan

Got a glimpse of George Peppard on TV this morning reminded me of "The Blue Max" (WW1 epic).

D

duncan

Brrrr.nasty nip in the air this mornin` ....Tora Tora Tora ! :D

D

duncan

" The Right Stuff " ( training astronauts, Chuck Yeager types) and " Black Sheep Squadron" (Pappy Boyington`s mob, Corsairs in Pacific). George Peppard again " Operation Crossbow", (looking for doodle-bug sites). How could we forget "Memphis Belle" :shoot:

Last edited:
W

Wowbagger

Blimey! You lot're working overtime!

Nip in the air, hehehee!

Got Pappy Boyingtons book - bored me to death, never finished it.

Dyareckon Apollo 13 could get in?

Anyway, all added.

W

Wowbagger

Just put the list in alphabetical order to make it easier when you check if a film is already on the list. :smiling3:

D

duncan

What was the one where a bunch of convicts hi-jack the plane transporting them from one jail to another? Very violent.

W

Wowbagger

Ah yes! My son adores that film for some perverse reason. It's got Nicholas Cage starring and wotsisname Malcovich and is called Con Air.

Added to list.

D

duncan

My daughter says little girl with geese and microlights MAY be called "Fly Me Back Home" or very similar. Was it a Disney movie?:noidea:

K

Kiwi

If you are into older movies how about "A Guy Named Joe" made in 1943 with Van Johnson and Spencer Tracy. Anbout a rookie fighter pilot inspired by a ghostly tracy who died in combat. Has a lot of good P-38 footage.

Then there was "Above and Beyond" 1953 supposedly the story of Paul Tibbets and the 'Enola Gay". Excellent stock footage of the Enola Gay but not much action flying.

Next under "A" might be "Aerial Gunner" a B grade wartime movie with Ricahrd Arlen about training air gunners. Some scenes of T-6, T-11s and Hudsons.

Last for this post is "Air Force" made in 1943. Directed by Howard Hawks its a flag waving film about the first flight of B-17s to arrive over Hawaii during the pearl harbour attack. Excellent B-17D action with T-6s doing the honours (again) as Zeros.

I'll give you some more later.

K

Kiwi

Missing titles for:

Talking of Cary Grant, what's that one where he's chased around in the corn by a crop spraying Stearman (I think)? :dontknow:

Hitchcock's "North by Northwest"

K

Kiwi

Some more old movies:

"Air Strike" (1955) Navy commander tries to molud his squadron. More like a recruiting film for thr U.S.Navy!

"Appointment in London" (1955) starring Dirk Bogarde.Realistic story about Bomber Command in 1943. Good Lancaster footage.

"The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946) Fred March and Dana Andrews. Not a flying film but contains some great scenes of B-17s and P-40s awaiting scrapping at Chino. Enough to make grown men weep (especially at today's prices for these aircraft)

"Battle Hymn" (1957) Rock hudson. Korean War movie about a pilot who bombs an orphanage by mistake and then looks after the kids afterwards. Based on true story of Dean Hess. Lots of good Korean War P-51 footage.

"Breaking The Sound Barrier" (1947) Fictionalized story line of the de Havilland family. Excellent flying of early Hunters and Comets.

"Big Lift"(1950) Montgomery Clift. Berlin Air Lift and romance. Good stock USAF footage of air to air C-54s and C-47s.

"Bombardier" (1943) Randolph Scott. Typical ww II story about trining failed pilot trainees to become bomb aimers. Worth watching to see the B-18s flying. Good AT-11s too.

More later.