Bandai 1/16 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost 1908 - "Balloon Car"

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys for your support. It means a lot.

Sanded back the ends of that cylinder thing. The original was beyond clean up :sad:
P1070522.JPG

The little oblong bits fitted back onto the block.
P1070521.JPG

All the bits that had had a Fairy Power Spray bath have been cleaned up. The cylinder needed a lot of sanding which destroyed the 4 bands so replacements were made from pewter.
P1070520.JPG

And most satisfying of all we have a chassis that is square and sits level.
P1070523.JPG

So I'm almost at the stage of seeing where I'm at per the instructions. So far it's all been remedial work.

Thanks again.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work Jim, esp using a jig like that. The pewter work on that cylinder takes it to another level.
Keep it going.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Jigs!!! I just caught up and this looks to be a kit that's right up your alley. I know you love a challenge Jim, and I am very sure you will do the kit Justice...I too, have never seen or heard of a kit that uses string for the spokes. An interesting concept. Drive on Sir!!!...

Great work Jim, esp using a jig like that
That's why we call him Jigs, Dude 2...............He has other nicknames too..........

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks so much for your posts. Always good to have support but especially appreciated when a kit has "issues" :smiling:
The chrome plated sprue has been stripped of it's finish in bleach. I don't like using the chrome finished parts for a few reasons. Firstly the chrome is often quite thick and obscures detail. Secondly it looks false, in my opinion, when used on a model and perhaps the main downside is that if any sanding of seam lines etc is needed it's virtually impossible to touch up neatly.
P1070524.JPG

The engine requires some wiring and I have bought some wire which should be suitable. Thanks for earlier suggestions :thumb2:
P1070525.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very little to show although time has been spent. Been over to my daughter's and the missus has dragged me off Christmas shopping a couple of times.

All I've really done is clean up parts and in some cases build small subassemblies.
P1070526.JPG

P1070527.JPG

P1070528.JPG

First of the tiny missing parts scratched.
P1070529.JPG

A bit early but Happy Christmas to you all.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Very little to show although time has been spent. Been over to my daughter's and the missus has dragged me off Christmas shopping a couple of times.

All I've really done is clean up parts and in some cases build small subassemblies.
View attachment 496406

View attachment 496407

View attachment 496408

View attachment 496409

May I be the first to say - ‘Bah - Humbug’. In the nicest possible Dickensian way.
Now? Where are the mince pies?

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

View attachment 496406

View attachment 496407

View attachment 496408

View attachment 496409

Progress is progress Jim,no matter how much or little :smiling3:
Merry Christmas to you too,(speaking as someone who has done absolutely nothing in preparation for it yet!! ;) )

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Jim and the same to you and the family.

D

Deleted member 3568

I paid a lot more for this kit and it was In a far worse state (which is for now its shelved) you are making good progress.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I paid a lot more for this kit and it was In a far worse state (which is for now its shelved) you are making good progress.
Funnily enough, Ken, I was searching the web for examples of this kit built and came across a forum called Model Cars Magazine Forum. There was a guy who went by the name Harry P who was making an incredible job of this kit. It never got completed. I think the guy may have been ill. Anyway my point is that I seem to remember your name coming up as a member of that forum. As an aside I hope you decide to pay the money and stay here.

Doug, Ian, Andy and John - thanks for your posts :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Keep up the great work jim , its coming on nicely , and a merry xmas to you too cheers tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Comin on Jim very chanenging kit you have there beyond my skills i think
well done an yes a very merry xmas to you an yours an to all
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jim why did they call it a balloon car then ?
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The subject of the kit is a vehicle specially designed for Charles Rolls by the famous coach builder Mulliner. Rolls was a keen aviator in addition to his automotive interests. He was a balloonist as well as a pioneer flyer and this car was designed to carry his balloon, a 17000 cubic foot Imp, on the rear deck.
There you go Chris.