BARBAROSSA !

D

dubster72

Very nice Jim - what kit did you use for

this one?

Cheers

Patrick

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I wouldn't know a 3 from a 4 :rolleyes:....... But I really like this Dio. Superb job. Five Big Stars from me Matey.

Peter

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Very nicely posed Jim simple and effective.
Thanks 1/48th less IS more sometimes, not everything in life has to be complicated. ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
I wouldn't know a 3 from a 4 :rolleyes:....... But I really like this Dio. Superb job. Five Big Stars from me Matey.
Peter
Ahh -- my faithful Peter Thank you SO much my friend! :smiling3: ;)

D

dubster72

\ said:
Thanx much It's a Tamiya
I haven't tried quarter-scale in armour yet, gotta give it a go! That would be the Ausf L version I guess?

I have to admit that I'm not convinced by the 'winter camo'.... if the setting is for late '41, plain Panzer Grey would be more appropriate - sorry to nitpick, but my rivetcounter head goes on with German armour!

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Another top shelf build!!

Excellent effort, Sir! :smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
;)

\ said:
I haven't tried quarter-scale in armour yet, gotta give it a go! That would be the Ausf L version I guess?
I have to admit that I'm not convinced by the 'winter camo'.... if the setting is for late '41, plain Panzer Grey would be more appropriate - sorry to nitpick, but my rivetcounter head goes on with German armour!
Oh Brother! what ever happened to "artistic license?" I suppose some astronomers told Van Gogh he didn't have his constellations in " Proper alignment " when he painted "Starry, Starry, Night" Not that I would EVER even deign to put myself in any category even remotely related to such a legend. Can't we just lighten up a bit and enjoy the "visuals" of our art in 3D and try not to bog ourselves down in technicalities? Dub, you've Always been kind to my meager offerings and I DO so appreciate every ones posts , so I sincerely hope I'm not coming off as too thin skinned or harsh in any way. LOVE TO ALL! JIM ;)

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
3 or 4, i would give them both a 5 out of 5 (yes i know lol :smiling3: ). Both great builds and look very cold.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
;)
Oh Brother! what ever happened to "artistic license?" I suppose some astronomers told Van Gogh he didn't have his constellations in " Proper alignment " when he painted "Starry, Starry, Night" Not that I would EVER even deign to put myself in any category even remotely related to such a legend. Can't we just lighten up a bit and enjoy the "visuals" of our art in 3D and try not to bog ourselves down in technicalities? Dub, you've Always been kind to my meager offerings and I DO so appreciate every ones posts , so I sincerely hope I'm not coming off as too thin skinned or harsh in any way. LOVE TO ALL! JIM ;)
Oh! Dub, you mentioned "Quarter scale"? do you mean 1/25? Model is 1/35.

D

dubster72

\ said:
Oh! Dub, you mentioned "Quarter scale"? do you mean 1/25? Model is 1/35.
Ah , well from this a previous reply in this thread, I took it to be 1/48 (quarter scale to you guys)

And with regard to my other post, are we not striving to reproduce scale representations of past & present vehicles, aircraft et al?

Surely they should have a historical accurate context? If someone did a P-51D Mustang in RAF colours entitled " Battle of Britain ", would that be ok?

I'm not knocking you or your stuff, how you choose to represent something is entirely your affair. However, if it's markedly incorrect then I feel anyone should expect some form of reply highlighting that point.

Just my opinion!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Ah , well from this a previous reply in this thread, I took it to be 1/48 (quarter scale to you guys)
And with regard to my other post, are we not striving to reproduce scale representations of past & present vehicles, aircraft et al?

Surely they should have a historical accurate context? If someone did a P-51D Mustang in RAF colours entitled " Battle of Britain ", would that be ok?

I'm not knocking you or your stuff, how you choose to represent something is entirely your affair. However, if it's markedly incorrect then I feel anyone should expect some form of reply highlighting that point.

Just my opinion!
Hello DUBBS this tank was painted in a winter whitewash for the eastern front. Tanks were panzer grey from the factory but in early winter months when fall snow began all vehicles were giving washable white to hand paint over the grey by the crews in the field. I am showing my reference to said piece. If you would also like to research it yourself ,I recommend you pull up ACHTUNGPANZER.COM/PANZER-COLORS-1934-1945.HTM. I certainly would have researched it before I referred to anyones work as being "MARKEDLY INCORRECT".View attachment 100701

View attachment 100702

View attachment 100703

100_4313.JPG

100_4311.JPG

100_4312.JPG

C

chris2681

In late 1939, OKH decided to useonly the dark (panzer) grey (RAL 7021) and by mid 1940, it was the only colour used, as it was factory applied. In the winter of 1941/42, all German vehicles on the Eastern Front were provided and applied with washable whitewinter camouflage paint that was used to cover all the visible areas. copied and pasted from ACHTUNGPANZER site.

D

dubster72

Firstly, why not use my name? It's simple politeness, something I've tried to observe.

Secondly, I hadn't realised that you were using such a respected source if information as " Hitlers Teutonic Knights "!

Whilst I wouldn't want to question Mr Quarries august tome, it surprises me that winter whitewash was so readily available considering that the OKW had not made any provision for a winter campaign & that the men had neither warm clothes or anti-freeze.

Curious huh?

All my best

PATRICK

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm terribly sorry PATRICK maybe you can further enlighten me by directing to the tome {didn't think I knew what that was did ja?} that you published on the subject. Never too old to learn ya know :rolleyes:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
I'm terribly sorry PATRICK maybe you can further enlighten me by directing to the tome {didn't think I knew what that was did ja?} that you published on the subject. Never too old to learn ya know :rolleyes:
Oh I'm SURE you know that the starving troops in Stalingrad were air lifted tons of condoms and black pepper while they were in desperate need of food, warm clothes and ammunition curious huh?

C

chris2681

MAYBE THIS HELPS PATRICK?

Whitewash

During the first winter on the Eastern Front, it became apparent that Dunkelgrau vehicles became very easy targets in the snow. To solve this, white paint was issued. The paint was water soluble, so that it could be easily removed in the spring, or run off when it started to rain. Unit markings, Balkenkreuze, and other markings were usually left in their original base color, to avoid having to repaint the markings.

As there was not enough white paint available to paint all vehicles, non-combat vehicles were generally not whitewashed. Some vehicles also received only partial whitewashes, such as in stripes or only on the front. Some even used chalk, white sheets or stacked snow, when no paint was available.

COPIED AND PASTED FROM PANZERWORLD WEBSITE. I COULD KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU FIND A SOURCE THATS "RESPECTED" ENUFF FOR YOU.