bending brass is there a right way?

M

maninblack

hi all

is there a proper way to bend brass tube? as i need to make 2 x circular rings but dont want them all over the place!! the brass is 1.5mm thick solid type

many thx

M.I.B:thinking:

A

alan2525

I'd just bend the brass around a piece of round bar, roughly the same size as the internal diameter of the ring you want to make. then continue to bend the brass around the bar to make a kind of spring, then saw across to make the separate rings.

B

bogstandard

Hi MOB,

It all depends on the diameter of circle required.

Normally I just do it as Alan suggests but anneal it first, that way it will be almost the same size as what you are wrapping it around, otherwise it tends to spring open too much.

For larger than average I use a set of slip rolls with the round grooves on the rollers designed for doing this sort of job.

John

M

maninblack

slip rolls??

hi bog(sorry)

what are slip rolls with the round grooves ?

cheers

M.I.B:thinking:

M

maninblack

cheers john

not worth buying one to do 2 rings!!

many thx

mick

B

Bunkerbarge

There is also the hand held copper pipe bender. I use one of them for pipe work on the steam plant. I'm sure with some annealing it will be OK with brass tube as well.

M

maninblack

brass

hi lads thx again for rplys its a wintergarden for a boat tower

the top ring is 3 & half inches measured from the widest part in the centre

and the second is at a rough guess is 3 inches pic included

thx again

M.I.B

View attachment 15816

untitled.JPG

B

bogstandard

That is a wrap around paint tin job, but as I said before anneal the brass first. Just heat it to a medium red colour and either drop it into water or let it cool down naturally, if it hardens up before you have finished bending, just repeat the heat process. Not a job for machinery.

John

S

subzero

Brass Wintergarten rings

Hello MIB, do you mean like this ?, i heated them up a bit to get them more supple then found a paint tin of the correct size and bent away a little at a time and hey presto done. Hope its of some use sub.

View attachment 7879

/monthly_2007_11/57272b734b510_DSCF0027(Small).JPG.234722951ac9b9ad25d1a78c821e2d12.JPG

View attachment 15817

DSCF0027 (Small).JPG

M

maninblack

Help Please!!

hi all

going crazy here! does anyone no who will make the wintergaten rails for a 1/35 scale tower asjustcant get to grips with as well as loads of brass in the bin

please help

mib:smile11: any offers sub:peace:

S

subzero

Wintergarten rails

Hello MIB.

I use 2mm dia brass rod or 1/16 in old money. Put it against the tin and bend it from the centre outwards not from one end, and do it equally at both sides at the same time. You should be able to do it with the rod cold as its only thin.

Bend it past the centre line and it will spring back a bit then bend the sides for the tower sides when the dia is right. If it is a little out you can adjust it when you put the uprights on and solder them to the ring. Go slowly and use the full 12 onch rod don't use tube.

Hope this is of use if not I dont think you can buy it pre-done anywhere

:regards:

M

maninblack

hi

sub tried that mate and all that happens is the thing justs springs back out!!

B

bogstandard

You were told before, it has GOT TO BE SOFTENED BY HEATING, OTHERWISE IT SPRINGS BACK.

If you live anywhere near Crewe, bring it round and I will do it for you. While you wait

John

Last edited:
M

maninblack

hi

and i listened before john, its just me and brass dont get on

mick

M

maninblack

same here with the missus this brass is causeing wars lol!!

A

alan2525

\ said:
You were told before, it has GOT TO BE SOFTENED BY HEATING, OTHERWISE IT SPRINGS BACK.If you live anywhere near Crewe, bring it round and I will do it for you. While you wait

John
Is this free brass bending service open to other members of the forums? Watch out or you will be inundated with Scale modellers on your doorstep with puppy dog eyes, holding pieces of brass rod in outstretched hands!

:dog:

A

alan2525

\ said:
I'm the same with the wife
Isn't that why men invented the art of scale modeling?

Regarding the Brass - it's just a case of annealing the brass and then trying to figure out just how much the brass springs back after it's bent - so try an assortment of paint cans with a diameter just a fraction less than the radius you are trying to create.

All good modelers toolboxes must contain an assortment of paint cans in a range of sizes!