bending brass is there a right way?

B

bogstandard

Alan,

In my hayday when my health was better I used to have an open workshop, and there was usually at least two there most evenings, sometimes just not enough chairs and cups to go round, just chatting together and getting their problems solved.

Unfortunately most of them have gone to a better place and the place is now very quiet, just the occasional visitor two or three times a week, requiring help.

So I have mentioned this before that if anyone requires help on any of their projects, and it costs me absolutely nothing other than my time they are welcome, on the understanding it isn't for jobs like 'can you just make me this v4 engine', and they are here in person, nothing thru the mail.

John

M

maninblack

hi john

many thx for offer but to far mate and well said on the above as if i could do this i would not ask for help

thx again

mick

S

subzero

MIB, WHAT brass are you using ?? it should not spring back THAT much when bent around a tin, send me a pic of some you have bent and binned !

I have encountered some brass rod that is very hard, and not malable, The stuff I found brittle was for the Robbe U-47 push rod / contol linkages, the stuff I get is from my model shop about 12 " long and you can easily bend it and it is not brittle like some I have tried, maybe thats the problem ??

Regards Sub.

M

maninblack

brass

hi sub

inclosed a pic of the best one!!! from the start....

is 4 in the right size?? i can get hold of 4in metal pipe but my prop is that the brass does not bend straight with heat the sides go wavy

btw what size dia was yours

thx again

mick

View attachment 15819

mm.gif

S

subzero

Wintergarten

Hello Mick....

What is wrong with that one ??? :grinball2:

If I may say, I think you may be a little bit overcritical there old buddy.

When you get the uprights in and soldered up to the top ring it will hold together nicely, then you can put the lower ring on and it will be very sturdy, There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the pic you showed me there mate.

Had a look at mine earlier and the top ring is just under 4 Inch and the lower one about 3 inch.

hopefully a pic of mine during construction will appear as if by magic !

View attachment 7881

/monthly_2007_11/57272b734e55b_DSCF0003(Small).JPG.4c31fba358de22d0b7488722a2fa7f98.JPG

View attachment 15821

DSCF0003 (Small).JPG

M

maninblack

hi sub

that could be prob am a little bit fussy:cheers: btw nice looking tower mate

mick

S

subzero

Know EXACTLY what you mean there my friend, when I look at some stuff that I have binned in the past.

A very good modeller friend of mine once said

" you can judge how good a modeller is by what they are prepared to throw away "

and he is dead right.

Once spent 3 days making something then jumped all over it and started again !!

I think we need therapy ! ha ha..

Keep banging away at it and send us some pics of the build..when you get chance...

Regards Sub.