Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Chaps well a bit more done on the big cat an this time its fitting nav lights on the bottom of the fusealarge an again ive treid to keep the wireing as neat as possible an still more lights to fit in the cockpit an nose so more plannin ahead IMG_8882.JPG

an yes the nav lights work ok but very fiddley work but im enjoyin it an dint need jens help today as no hand shakesIMG_8883.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again guys done a bit more on it an near done all the leds so next up is the opening an closeing hatch covers over the gatlin gun an yes this near sent me mad as i just could not get this cover to fit right when fixed to that tiny hinge an it had to come off 6 times till in the end i got i reasonable fit IMG_8887.JPGon the 7th attempt an to all the serious modellers i aploagise as this is a bit rough jiont but the tiny gaps are needed so that the cover will open an close as if to tight a fit it will jam as i found out Aaarrrrcccchhhhhh but it should look ok when its all sprayed in gull grey so firstly the cover fitted with its tiny hinge

an here the cover is fitted on 7 th attempt an i was gettin a bit hot an bothered by this time but i thought you are not goin to beat me IMG_8888.JPG

an here its fitted ok an opens just right an i hope to fit the other gun covers to this one so they all open an close togeather IMG_8889.JPG

an closed again an i am goin to fit in the gun bay a weak white led to light up the gatlin gun IMG_8890.JPG

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Your patience really paid off mate.
THANKS Scottie but i must admit it had near run out but now i know what it will take to do the job on them hinges it should be easyier to fit the cover over the big gun magazine hatch so thats the next job thanks for lookin in on the build
ATB SIR an nice to see you in the pic with the guys JR an MAD MIKE lol
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That was a remarkable display of patience
THANKS Flip yes that stuff ive been told i have in the bucketloads but like everyone ive only so much lol
cheers sir for havin a look as i wanted to do some more today but had a boaty mate turn up with his new computer car an he 's been showin me that an what a crazy layout in the car every time he wants to start the car he has to reprograme the car boy i dont think id have that patience
CHEERS
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Hello again guys an still fitting on them gun opening fusalarge panels but i must admit im not impressed with the fit of them need a lot of filein down before they have some sembelance of fittin an makes me wonder if i will ruin the whole plane build but im committed now so see how it turns out an reather than fit more ugly hinges ive just fitted the panels altogeather an hope you all approve as when im building a model i like to make things work like the real thing if possible an here a few more pics of what ive been workin on an firstly the second panel fitted an this went on ok first time an it over the gun magazine IMG_8891.JPG

an open postionIMG_8892.JPG

an here ive fitted all the gattlin gun covers on togeather so they will all open togeather an i hope it will look better when painted an there will be the pilots steps fitted so hope the hinges wont be seen when done hopefullyIMG_8893.JPG

an here they are in the open postion
IMG_8894.JPG

an closed again IMG_8893.JPG

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Turning out to be a challenging build, I'm sure your skill set will overcome this

Miko (liking the technical solutions here)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Miko an Scottie its challengeing allright as the fusalagre parts are :poop: an dont fit so need a lot of filein down an there is one part that i dont get an the destruckions are no help at all an that the pilots step ladder as i want to make it so the steps will unclip an lift off so the fusalarge panel can be hinged to close up but im stuck as i cant see how the part should fit as if i hinge it the bottom of said fusalarge so it can fold up an then fold down then the is a big gap where there is no steps to climb up to the cockpit so i think i will have to have a look at Barrys bombcat build an see how he got around it an i thought trumpy builds were better than this
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Are the hinges home-made or bought-in?
AN HI Flip the hinges are bought dolls house tiny hinges only qauter of an inch wide an about a half a mill thick as they did the job just right on my tigers water tight doors an looked great but on this plane they are not so easy to fit an get it lookin good
CHEERS for lookin in all you guys an you takin instrest you all are keepin my mojo up an keepin goin at this build thanks very much guys
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That builds looking great mate!!
THANKS James an i ve now paint sprayed the fusalarge seckion in a undercoat grey an its lookin a bit better but wherther the paint will stay on them hinges when i open the panels up remains to be seen an ive let the paint harden up for two days so will see an i love your lank very nice indeed
ATB
Chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL
im confused can anyone show me on here a close up pic of the fusalarge panel that is affixed to the ladder to climb to cockpit as i cannot make it out how the panel fits in the fusalarge an ladder fixed to it PLEASE ?
CHRISB

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES GREAT PIC James yes i can now see how it fits in place now from your pic many thanks james an i looked through your build but dint see that photo cheers an is it ok for me to download it James ? as my instruckions dont show it togeather an the panel part is differnt to yours so i'll have to scratcbuild it
chrisb