Brad9826's WWI Memorial GB: Intro and chat.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hope you find something, would love to have you on board Paul.:smiling2:

well count me with a wingy thingy fokker.....bit out of the comfort zone and ive never tried rigging so this should be a laugh

108ib12.jpg

B

Brad9826

I'm sure you'll make a great job of it Paul. Look forward to seeing the result. :thumb2:
I know what you mean about comfort zone, I've gone and got a pe set to add on my kit...never done that before either.:dizzy::fearful:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
BOTH ! That would have to be a flippin' wet summer...................
Based on current weather conditions, it's going to be 1:48. I'm busy carrying water to all parts of the garden.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hello fellow WWI builders
I would like to share some pics form a recent trip to Belgium which included a day long tour of the battlefields of the Ypres region. they might inspire if one is doing a land scene with the start date for the GB drawing nearer :smiling:

Hooge Crater Museum - the reconstructed german and british trench sections are at the behest the british army and serves to educate british troops - not accessible to the general public visiting the museum
Aside from the wood/wicker work used and the Cement sandbags all of the items displayed are found on the battlefield

British trench in the foreground - note the difference in the corrugated "elephant iron" used for cover - british in the front german in the back
ko2tSYP.jpg

British frontline trench A-frame and corrogated steel revetment and fire step
G4oY08c.jpg

ZYHu2ed.jpg

Preserved A -frame and duckboard - shows all the bits and bobs that felll through cracks and are found by archeologists today.
S27gTiy.jpg

Reconstructed German front line trench with the wickerworks and firestep

j7SSh1k.jpg

German frontline trench with sniper slids

4JBQYaN.jpg

"No man's land"

GDZr0Fq.jpg

Few shots from inside the museum:

Dog carrying messages
YOUatea.jpg

German? anti - tank rifle
1hie204.jpg

various types of british trench pumps - i use the type on the right in my combo - dio

cvxvpy3.jpg

German field kitchen
eixgzYf.jpg

British bunker at Hill 60
3r5v1sr.jpg

Lest we forget:
Tyne Cot British Commonwealth Cemetery

Wmfp5my.jpg

Grave for an unknown british soldier - loads of these - the result of lowgrade metal dog -tags and British ID badges made of leather causing both to deteriorate rapidly making a positive ID of the fallen impossible.
Z0Mcz0y.jpg

Langemark Cemetry for german troops - the only one maintained in the salient - cemeteries were generally constructed on the sight of battlefields - hence the bunkers.
mqDVwDx.jpg

bWI4FO3.jpg

QJd3NWx.jpg

B

Brad9826

Steven, thanks also for sharing:thumb2:

Which brings me onto a gentle reminder that the GB begins in 12 days, so time to start your final preps., (best pull my finger out then....:surprised:)

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks gents :smiling:

"The Iron harvest"
Some 1.4 Billions shells fell during the Great War and Farmers in the Salient unearth some 20000 pieces of unexploded ordinance a year!!
Although farmers are supposed to call Belgian EOD when they find something, without touching it , they quite often run the risk of picking it up and bring it to a visible place at the side of the road where EOD will come and pick it up.
According to our tour guide this shell ( I am guessing british 7.5 cm?? )has been at the side of the road - for everyone (including children) to see and find, for a few days.
In passing by bus I saw another one - larger calibre lying in a drainage ditch half buried
One farmer had used one massive one Howitzer type (hopefully rendered harmless...) as a garden post.... sadly I was unable to take a picture as we were moving too fast
BGX8Hhk.jpg

DZyD8An.jpg

We were told not to touch it - prob some insurance thing....:smiling5:

First Name
Andrew
Thanks for the photos Steven. I went to the salient last year and was very moved by it all. So, so many wasted lives! I didn't get to Hooge and went to a different German Graveyard in France. Many Jewish graves amongst the Christians - when you think of what was to follow! The Passchendaele Memorial Museum came out tops for my visit with their reconstructed trenches.
I was able to find several spots where my Grandfather's battery was positioned and re-read letters that he had sent from that spot 100 years on.
Andy

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
It was our second trip to the salient the first time around we were not part of an organized tour and had to rely on public transport, we saw in Flanders' Fields Museum and the Passchendaele Memorial Museum (sadly a rushed look - though) but I agree, PMM is the best of the Museums in the Salient.
Hooge Crater Museum is private and suffers from lack off funds, lots of artifacts but few info plaques to give context , also, artifacts very diverse uses and history are "bundled" in display areas.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb pictures, very interesting, thank you for sharing Steven.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have my models ready in the pile, I think I'm going to have two projects, one almost straight away, then one in the Autumn. One is aerial, the other is strictly landbound...........................
Dave

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thank you for for sharing ,Steve, some were i will never get to see,:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Brad, nearly missed this thread and just caught it in time to get prepared. I normally can't complete anything within 3 months but I'll give it a try. Perhaps something simpler like a figure or two on a vignette with improving kit figures for a challenge. So hands off until the 28th. See you guys at the starting line.

Cheers,
Richard

B

Brad9826

Hi Richard and welcome along, I have the same problem, , again looking forward too the result. :thumb2::smiling: