British Tank Destroyer M10 IIC Achilles 1/35

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I've just started this model.

It was originally planned to be my first model since the 1970s to kick-start my hobby but instead I started on a 1/72 biplane which a friend gave me. That was a mistake as a first model as the pieces were too small for me to handle and the wing structure too complicated for me at the moment. That's now on hold.

So hopefully I'll have better luck with this one.

The pieces look good and there are certainly lots of them.

I'm going to take my time and enjoy this one.

The first task will be to assemble to main parts and Prime them.

20220128_092106.jpg20220128_092100.jpg20220128_092055.jpg20220126_123415.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
A good choice for a 'comeback model'. Being Tamiya the fit should be good. I'll follow your build with interest.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice choice!!! The vehicle, of not the specific kit that got me back into the hobby!!

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum Mike. A great model to use for your first blog. I wish you all the best with the build

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve read good things about that kit, so you probably made a good choice as a first build in ages :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep, good choice :smiling3:
I'll pull up a pew too,l look forward to seeing your progress,and,if the need arises,contributing in any way.
Andy

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I've been so busy enjoying this model and doing other things that I forgot to update the blog, so here goes.

I've building the kit, mostly in the order of the instructions with some painting along the way.

As I'm knew to this I'd appreciate any comments of what I've done and what people may have done differently and also thoughts on my plan going forward/

Paints I am using and planning to use are:

Tamiya rattle can grey primer
Tamiya rattle can dark green
Mostly Vallejo acrylic paints for the details (brush painting) with some Humbrol enamels which I have left over, like Matt Black and Flesh.

I started by building the lower Hull which was pretty straightforward. I then primed this using Tamiya grey primer

20220205_112818.jpg20220205_112825.jpg

I can see that work is required on a gap at the front but I'll deal with that when I assemble the upper Hull.

I also built and primed the suspension. When priming I didn't attach to the body of the tank as I wasn't sure if I would be able to spray them all over. I'm not sure if this is what other people will do and I am thinking of spraying them in the base colour off tank too.

20220208_143012.jpg

I then started work on the upper Hull and assembled it mostly.

I've attached most parts on the outside of the Hull but plan to paint the parts such as the spade etc separately off tank and attach later.

20220208_143725.jpg

On the inside of the upper Hull I attached some parts but decided to paint some of the parts off tank as I don't think I'd be able to reach them. I primed the lower Hull inside plus the other parts which will go in there.

20220206_114517.jpg
I then sprayed the inside of the upper and lower Hulls with the green, masking to protect parts which were going to be white.

20220207_115832.jpg

I then painted the white inside parts of both the upper and lower Hull. There is more colour to add inside the Hull.
20220208_143733.jpg

20220208_143744.jpg

20220208_142950.jpg
20220208_142954.jpg

Whilst waiting for paint to dry I've also started the build of the gun breach and turret.
20220208_143858.jpg

So my next steps are:

Complete the detailed painting inside the lower and upper Hull
Apply the gloss varnish to the inside of the Hull
Assemble the lower and upper Hull

I'll then continue with the turret in the same manner as the other parts

Once all outside parts are completed and full assembled I'll tidy up the outside and spray it all in one go.

Any detailed parts which I haven't attached such as the Spade will be added after this.

Like I said, any comments would be appreciated as I'm on a huge learning curve. And I'll give more regular updates going forward.

I using a sprue cutter for the first ever time and that has made a massive difference. Also the acrylic paints are interesting as I've only ever used Humbrol enamels before. And spray painting is completely new to me.

Attachments

• 20220205_112818.jpg
    20220205_112818.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220205_112825.jpg
    20220205_112825.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220207_115827.jpg
    20220207_115827.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 6

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely!!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Oh and I've an improvised spray booth which I can easily take out into the garden.

View attachment 445060
I do have a proper spray booth but occasionally do still use rattle cans for primer and keep a cardboard box in the shed for just this purpose!!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I also built and primed the suspension. When priming I didn't attach to the body of the tank as I wasn't sure if I would be able to spray them all over. I'm not sure if this is what other people will do and I am thinking of spraying them in the base colour off tank too.

It is very much personal preference Mike. There are modellers out there who will paint all the running gear and tracks on the vehicle! This I have never understood because as you say you want to reach all areas of the build. When you go down in scale ie 1/72 then its more common. However at 1/35 scale I find it easier to paint and weather the tyres, wheels, tracks and lower hull on a separate basis. As your skills increase you will want to get into the world of weathering and pigment work. This will give you the opportunity to bring all the separate units together as final weathering can be done once all the wheels, bogies and tracks are attached to the lower hull.

For your first build its turned out really well and all heading in the right direction. Keep up the great work my friend

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Mike, your building sequence and choices are very close to mine and your results are pretty good, indeed. Progress comes at every step, keep going!
A suggestion: when using primers, and paints too, from rattle cans do it in the open or in a ventilated room and keep your breathing ways protected :sick: as they stink a lot (mainly a problem for your family because we love the smell of thinners in the morning, ...smells like fun :tongue-out3:) and are not really healthy to inhale (someone with a wilder youth than mine shall disagree :dizzy: on that last point... :tongue-out3: ). I use a painter's mask with changeable filters like this one
41uUdNuXZeL.jpg,
but an FFP2 or 3 mask is a good starting point. This is true also if in the future you'll opt for an airbrush.

Happy modelling.

Andrea

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You are doing fine Mike. It really is a case of what works for you. There are those that build 90% of a tank then paint it. There are those that paint pretty much most parts befor even opening the glue!
On a kit like your one, I would paint the wheels and the boogies then build them. But put them on the tank after the rest is done. Tools, and clutter I tend to leave to last after the tank is painted but befor weathering.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Great job so far. You've had some good thoughts from people already. A good idea is to make a mental or even a written note of what you've done and whether it worked for you or not. A great help for your next model.
Jim