Can anyone under 40 solve this!!!!!!!!!

P

proplinergeek

The Old Aristocrat Sat on his chair at home........

What does it mean........:thinking:

I bet if you are under 40 you will not get it...........

Answers on a postcard please to Blue Peter (God what happened to Blue Peter it never was the same since Shep died....you never had strange people throwing themselves down the cresta run in those days)

Have fun....and if the youngsters can't get it us ....er......more mature (and refined) people will have to educate them

:shhhh:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Well I'm under 40 (2 weeks under :smiling3: ) and I don't have a clue, talking if Shep I've met John Knokes a few times occasionally he shops where I work, really nice guy.

P

proplinergeek

thanks for that John......however your ability to remember (or indeed recognise) John Noakes is not in question here (Wetting myself laughing)

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
however your ability to remember (or indeed recognise) John Noakes is not in question here (Wetting myself laughing)
I know that wasn't the answer I was just sharing something with you :smiling3:

B

Bluewavestudios

Mmmm I am the wrong side of 40 at 45 but I haven't got a clue, all I can think of is Paul Whitehouse's character from The Fast Show - Rowley Birkin QC "I'm afraid that I was very very drunk" :D This character always made me laugh because I have also actually met someone who spoke just like him hehe !!

Regards

Mark

A

alan2525

\ said:
Bloody brits.EDIT: I think I have decoded it :smiling3:
What's it all about? Please share! :D

I'm under 40 so it means nothing to me!

:thinking:

P

proplinergeek

OK heres a clue .......working on a drawing for a project needed to work out an angle.......and it came back from the deep recess of my personal hard drive...

S

skAlan

Never heard of that phrase (even though I'm 50) but your clue made it easy.

B

Bunkerbarge

I've not seen it in this format but I suspect it has something to do with Sohcahtoa!! (Pronounced Soccatoa)

I'll explain the whole bit if necessary when the answer finally comes out!

P

proplinergeek

Yeah your there............. everything in easy form for me ...................I'll leave it to you to enlighten the others

A

alan2525

\ said:
Yeah your there............. everything in easy form for me ...................I'll leave it to you to enlighten the others
We're still in the dark! Can you put us out of our misery now! :P

:thinking:

B

Bluewavestudios

\ said:
I've not seen it in this format but I suspect it has something to do with Sohcahtoa!! (Pronounced Soccatoa)I'll explain the whole bit if necessary when the answer finally comes out!
mmm sounds more like something Sylvester said in the Tweety Pie Cartoons, well it is very close !! Thufferin socatash !!! :D

Regards........Mark.

First Name
Grahame
The Old Aristocrat Sat on his chair at home........

As the answer hasn’t been supplied as yet by any of us oldies I thought I’d put the “young uns” out of their misery.

It’s a mnemonic (silent “m”) used in trigonometry for:

Tangent = opposite / adjacent

Sine = opposite / hypotenuse

Cosine = adjacent / hypotenuse

The one I used at school was TOA CAH SOH pronounced, “tow a car so”.

When I started work and had to remember things like the resistor colour codes the mnemonics were a little less politically correct!

Of course in these days of computers such things have been largely consigned to history; anyone remember spending hours working with log tables?

First Name
Grahame
As I said in these days of computers, maths just isn’t what it was; and a good thing too in my opinion!

I have to admit I still find “trig” quite useful, but I’m a bit of a dinosaur, believe me if you don’t know what we’re talking about you don’t want to know!

P

proplinergeek

Yeah Guys its back to the days of tables rather than keyboards when propliners ruled the sky I believe that during the inter-war years 350 people worked in Vickers calculating office just doing sums. On another note hands up anyone who still has a slide rule and can remember how to use it ! Rich K

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The original Blue Peter programmes remembered

\ said:
Well I'm under 40 (2 weeks under :smiling3: ) and I don't have a clue, talking if Shep I've met John Knokes a few times occasionally he shops where I work, really nice guy.
This is a good time to remember the old 'Blue Peter' format and programme's,far better than the current content,here are a few of the model building items covered over the years,and John Knokes did a series on building and flying radio controllled aircraft as well ! Peter Purves built the Airfix Hawker Sea Hawk showing hints and tips week by week,the finest Lego models were shown,Meccano was covered as well,Woodason solid models were covered as well,then special programmes were devoted to things like a career in aviation or working in engineering,enless subjects for the young and not so young ! things seem to have changed with less real interesting programme content.

I once applied for the job of producing the 'Makes' the famous items that Blue Peter became synomous with sticky tape and all ! I did send in a few for consideration including a baking powder powered little tug and the well known cotton reel bobbin tanks,bet you remember them crawling around the classroom !

Anyway sorry to digress on the way that the old programmes were formulated and the original question here, but just wanted it to be recorded for posterity.

PS-John Knokes sailed around the world I believe after he left the programme,he was certainly thrown in at the deep end climbing chimneys etc ! a great genuine personality.

A

alan2525

\ said:
The Old Aristocrat Sat on his chair at home........As the answer hasn’t been supplied as yet by any of us oldies I thought I’d put the “young uns” out of their misery.

It’s a mnemonic (silent “m”) used in trigonometry for:

Tangent = opposite / adjacent

Sine = opposite / hypotenuse

Cosine = adjacent / hypotenuse
If you used that method to teach kids trig nowdays, you'd probably get a few answers like this to the Trigonometry question in the Maths GCSE...

"There woz like this old guy who was sitting in a chair if u no what I mean and like he had a cat or summink"

:music_too

D

Dingo

Hey guys, I'm just under 60 and I don't even know wot the heck ya talking, so wot's the joke. :smile11: