Churchill AVRE Mk. lll

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
More excellent progress mate
Thanks Mick glad your sticking with it.
Hi Scottie, your bling application is getting neater at every stage of your builds and rightly so to prime with all that mix media on plastic. Makes the base paint neutral when applied.

Cheers,
Richard
Cheers Richard, I think your right primer was the right call.
Fantastic looking build Scottie:thumb2:, look forward to seeing some colour.
Mark, thanks mate I have some paint on order.
John to kind mate thank you.
Amazing stuff Paul !
Ron, thanks mate it is appreciated.
It looks great with a coat of pint on. Keep it comin my friend
Steve, thanks mate I must admit I am very happy with the finish.
That is magnificent. In every build you get better and better Paul.
Tim, That's very kind of you to say at least I am going in the right direction.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Scottie

Coming on very nicely Indeed.

As you know I'm normally a braille scale man but have always fancied tackling a 1/35 Churchill. From what I understand these AFV Club ones are the best, if not the cheapest. Is that a fair summary? This seems to have gone together very well so far.

ATB.

Andrew

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scottie

Coming on very nicely Indeed.

As you know I'm normally a braille scale man but have always fancied tackling a 1/35 Churchill. From what I understand these AFV Club ones are the best, if not the cheapest. Is that a fair summary? This seems to have gone together very well so far.

ATB.

Andrew
Andrew, I have built a few AFV kits and always found them very nicely detailed and go together well. I believe they are considered the best churchills on the market.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As you know I'm normally a braille scale man but have always fancied tackling a 1/35 Churchill. From what I understand these AFV Club ones are the best, if not the cheapest. Is that a fair summary?
Your choices for them are rather limited, TBH. The old Tamiya kits (the Crocodile and the later Mk. VII) are your only real alternative that’s easily available. If you’re really lucky you might find a Cromwell Models fully resin kit, or even one of the Resicast resin-and-etched-brass kits, but I don’t think I’d pick one over their plastic AFV Club counterpart.

I suspect the Tamiya kits will be cheaper than the AFV Club ones, but they’re rather showing their age. Simpler to build, sure, but very much less detailed as well. Not to mention that, IIRC, they have some dimensional problems.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Lovely detailing Paul, looking good in primer & pre-shade.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bailey would be a great idea. I have Artitec's 1/87 version waiting for me to finish 7th Engineer (short) Battalion vehicles.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A Bailey would be a great base Scottie, I have a Bronco kit in the stash and was waiting for a suitable time to add an M4 High Speed Tractor pulling a 155mm gun across. Rivetors say there's some flaws in the kit but with all the brackets going all over and criss crossing I don't think anyone will notice. But if I know you, you'll be adding a nut, bolt or two. ;)

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Its gotta be a bridge for a base mate!! :smiling5: :smiling5: :thumb2: :cool:
Lovely detailing Paul, looking good in primer & pre-shade.
Pre-shade looks good. Now a gentle touch on the airbrush with the top coat.
Jim
Bailey would be a great idea. I have Artitec's 1/87 version waiting for me to finish 7th Engineer (short) Battalion vehicles.
A Bailey would be a great base Scottie, I have a Bronco kit in the stash and was waiting for a suitable time to add an M4 High Speed Tractor pulling a 155mm gun across. Rivetors say there's some flaws in the kit but with all the brackets going all over and criss crossing I don't think anyone will notice. But if I know you, you'll be adding a nut, bolt or two. ;)

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks guys the bridge will have to wait for another day. I am under orders from SWIMBO to attempt a base from a picture she has seen.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
My supplies turned up from Scale Model Shop today excellent service again. So it was time to give her a coat of khaki Green. Luckily I managed to retain some of the pre shade. When this had dried it received a coat of klear and the decals were applied. it has now been set aside for the next stage.

DSCF3016.JPG

DSCF3017.JPG

DSCF3018.JPG

DSCF3019.JPG

Cheers
Scottie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking great. As to a base, I would suggest crossing an anti tank ditch using a fascine would look great……..a Bailey is going to hide the side detail.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Thats a terrific result Scottie. Very impressed. Bring on the oils!

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Great to see the paint and decals on at last, no more plaudits, they have all been said.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking great. As to a base, I would suggest crossing an anti tank ditch using a fascine would look great……..a Bailey is going to hide the side detail.
Hi Tim, thanks fella going to save the bridge for another day.
That’s looks very nice mate :thumb2:
Si, to kind mate.
Thats a terrific result Scottie. Very impressed. Bring on the oils!
Thanks mate check on the next post oils are done.
Great to see the paint and decals on at last, no more plaudits, they have all been said.
Mike, thanks fella means alot.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Details have been painted. Working on the assumption that this is a D Day vehicle there wont be much damage or wear so chipping was left to a minimum. An oil dot wash has been done but again at a minimum.

Next weathering. Comments welcomed.

DSCF3020.JPG

DSCF3021.JPG

DSCF3023.JPG

DSCF3024.JPG

cheers
Scottie