CLARISSA-MAE 1870'S INSHORE CRAB/LOBSTER BOAT DIO.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This is a plank on wood framed Thames steam launch that was part built with many pieces missing when I got her. She sat for ages while I worked out what to do.

I decided to do a the boat in a state of disrepair, maybe she is going to be stripped and broken up or rebuilt-the setting is around 1910. The boat has a scratch built steam plant, bench and hold to keep the catch. The dockside is made from polystyrene shaped and then real slate and red bricks added around the base, then it has been grassed etc. The fence is lollipop sticks just to finish the back, the wobbly fence is intentional...honest :D . The water is silicone washed in greens and browns to show a pretty disgusting waterway that would have been present around that time. The light-bollard is a plastic plug with a brass stem and a model boat old fashioned lantern on top. The rope rings have come from an old cannon.

It is not finished, it needs cleaning up, some tress are to be added behind the fencing and there are three figures to add...when they come. So...this is 80% finished so will add completed when finished.

Si:smiling3:

View attachment 69876

View attachment 69877

View attachment 69878

View attachment 69879

View attachment 69880

View attachment 69881

DSCF1732.JPG

DSCF1734.JPG

DSCF1737.JPG

DSCF1745.JPG

DSCF1741.JPG

DSCF1739.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Andy
Hi Si,

You've been really busy lately, and this is looking great, I think if you somehow managed to get the angles etc with the photos, it would look like a full sized barge that has just been found on a bit of unused canal...

***** from me...

Andy...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Hi Si,You've been really busy lately, and this is looking great, I think if you somehow managed to get the angles etc with the photos, it would look like a full sized barge that has just been found on a bit of unused canal...

***** from me...

Andy...
Thanks Andy, it has been sat on a shelf in the shed for ages, part done, so decided to do a bit more. I may have a go at seeing if I can get some better piccies :smiling3:

Glad you like it mate.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Some more piccies, decided to have a go at trying to create that sludgy-foamy stuff that you sometimes see on the beach or in polluted waterways, the stuff that collects around objects. In this case I have some on the bow near a piece of wood, some around the rudder where it is caught and frothed up and a bit around the reeds. There is also a outside piccie...not the best but the best I could get lol.

View attachment 69894

View attachment 69895

View attachment 69896

View attachment 69897

View attachment 69898

View attachment 69899

View attachment 69900

DSCF1746.JPG

DSCF1747.JPG

DSCF1748.JPG

DSCF1762.JPG

DSCF1763.JPG

DSCF1764.JPG

DSCF1750.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This is inspirational work Si. Love the entire diorama, right down to the lollipop stick fence.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
This is inspirational work Si. Love the entire diorama, right down to the lollipop stick fence.
Cheers Joe, going to weather the fencing slightly and the planks, some tidying up to do and then add the figures and trees. Pleased you like it, it has been a on-off project so was unsure if I had my heart in it, but it seems to have come together okay.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
For an on-off project you have done superbly. I enjoy all your works Si, brilliant.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
For an on-off project you have done superbly. I enjoy all your works Si, brilliant.
Bless you Joe, very kind of you to say so, appreciate it mate.

N

noble

Hi Si just seen this and i have to agree with joe, this is an exceptional piece of work the amount of detail as well as the paint work and the diorama are exceptional quality well done.

scott

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Hi Si just seen this and i have to agree with joe, this is an exceptional piece of work the amount of detail as well as the paint work and the diorama are exceptional quality well done.scott
Thanks Scott, it has been left for a few days for the paint and silicone to settle and harden a bit more before cleaning and more detailing. Glad you like it and it all works together.

P

Polux

Hi Si! Sorry...I'm late!

Mmm...very interesting!

Personally I like the wood colour on the upper side, the general weathering...and the most important...you do different dioramas (great thing) and with your personal style and touch!

Congrats!!

Polux

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Hi Si! Sorry...I'm late!Mmm...very interesting!

Personally I like the wood colour on the upper side, the general weathering...and the most important...you do different dioramas (great thing) and with your personal style and touch!

Congrats!!

Polux
Hi Polux, late or not it is very nice of you stop by and comment, I appreciate it mate. The weathering of the boat has loads of washes from varnish to blacks, greens then washed off and smeared etc etc, never ending lol.

Glad you like my different offerings.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Mate that looks really good! Keep up at those dios:smiling3:
Thanks John, figures arrived today so will be sorting them out in the next few days.

First Name
rob
\ said:
Thanks John, figures arrived today so will be sorting them out in the next few days.Si:smiling3:
beautiful work si, just looking at it and you can almost smell dirty water and decay. really impressed mate

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
beautiful work si, just looking at it and you can almost smell dirty water and decay. really impressed mate
Cheers Rob, glad that the model gives you that impression-it has done its job. Pleased you like it mate, thanks for commenting.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Opinion needed

The Clarissa-Mae dio is nearing completion. I am toying with a couple of ideas for the background, behind the fence.

1: To add a tree line along the back.

2: To add a factory setting.

These are a couple of shots of the factory setting, they are made from card and will need weathering slightly.

So, what do you think, does it look right? Opinions please fellas.

View attachment 70046

View attachment 70047

DSCF1765.JPG

DSCF1766.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I like the second photo (DSCF 1766)...However though, what do you think and prefer... ;)
Cheers Andy, the second pic is one I have cropped down, looks okay, but unsure if it lends itself to the realism of having a factory in the background...dunno what to do!

T

tecdes

I think Si that the factory size & it's colour dominate & your boat is lost. Viewers eyes will be drawn to the factory red.

I think trees and or a sky scene would be better. They will contrast with the boat & not dominate. Also think that a more country or canal bank scene is more appropriate. Shows then the lonleyness of this craft in its retired state.

Laurie