Cobblestone streets in 1/35.

709thsoldat

Friends,

What is the best way to make cobblestone streets in 1/35? I am making a rather large diorama and i want the streets to be absolutely smashing.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Depending on how big you are wanting your cobbles to be. I can only suggest buying some of the very fine pea gravel (2 - 4mm) that you get for fish tanks and using that. Glue it down with pva and away you go :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Didn't I see someone on here use split peas for cobbles a while ago, can't remember the scale though.

Tony.

709thsoldat

I could see that being an issue with rotting and whatnot, but i have never made a diorama out of food.

B

backonthecase

I would try smearing a thin layer of plaster or polyfiller onto the base then either while wet - draw the lines on with a paintbrush handle, or when dry, carve them out with a blunt knife...

HTH

Stuart

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is another suggestion for your cobbles, which I'm using in a dio. at the moment.

Get up in the loft and find some polystyrene packings that the t.v., whatever, came in.

Make sure it's the hard, compact type. (You will see the beads/cobbles in the stuff)

Cut it to the thickness required, but don't cut the flat, top surface, this will ruin the cobbles. Cut the underside..... Then just paint it blue/grey and add some dust, job done! It's quick and easy to do and might be just the ticket for the large area you are doing.

I hope you don't mind, and I know it's bad form to post a picture on someone else's thread, but it's probably better than trying to explain how it can turn out!

I hope this is of some help in you quest and good luck with the build.

Any chance of some progress pickies?

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 42924

Hans quick. We are pulling out.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I hope you don't mind, and I know it's bad form to post a picture on someone else's thread, but it's probably better than trying to explain how it can turn out!

Cheers,

Ron
I'm sure noone minds,they certainly shouldn't. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Steve

P

phalinmegob

a company called j works make a reusable silicone mould for making cobbled streets, thinking off getting some myself but they only seem to be available from luckymodel.com in hong kong

S

seasonman1

I 've seen Dried Lentils used very effectively and can be sealed with any sealer or varnish . as well as painted etc . Hope this helps

709thsoldat

Thank you all for your kind suggestions, Please do not worry about bad form, I'm an american ;)

As for the beaded styro, I would prefer something with bigger cobbles, but if nothing works, it is definitely a possibility.

I have tried the plaster method by carving out the individual stones, backbreaking work, and the end result was meh at best.

I will do some sample sizes of these methods and see what works. Progress pics are a definite possibility.

C

CDW

\ said:
I would try smearing a thin layer of plaster or polyfiller onto the base then either while wet - draw the lines on with a paintbrush handle, or when dry, carve them out with a blunt knife...HTH

Stuart
Use either of these two ideas for shaping , Smear the plaster on a board, when happy with the end product cover it with liquid rubber.

When the rubbers dry you have a mould to make as many as you want, just trim them to fit any area.

N

noble

This was somthing tried by one of the other guys here, try using the cobbled base of one of the miniart kits and fill the inside with plaster only try adding some fibre glass stripsto it as you pour the plaster base and it should hopefully stop it from cracking when removed. You should be able to make as many as you like then.

scott

P

phalinmegob

that was me scott.. i have done it a few times but the plaster i was using was old and in the end it was setting as i was pouring. i have just ordered the silicone moulds from j's works in hong knong and now i am trying to find somewhere local that i can buy casting plaster from..will let you all know how i get on when they arrive.

N

noble

Andy the kit stop in Birkenhead do casting plaster at a very reasonable price.

scott

P

phalinmegob

thanks scott, i got some off colin the other day but was not amused by the price,found a place in liverpool called perc arts and crafts that i can get some more from a lot cheaper.

709thsoldat

Comrades,

Yesterday I went to the store and got split peas, a whole $0.99 for a pound. I made a little sample piece on a card and I am very impressed with the outcome. I glued them flat side down, painted them varying shades of grey, let it dry, then filled the spaces with tile grout. I will take pics tomorrow, as well as make a new thread of my diorama progress.

Thanks again for all the tips and I wish you all a very happy and pleasant weekend.

-Chris.

P

phalinmegob

i have received the silicone moulds from hong kong and have tried using them, i am quite happy with them all though they will require some work to fit together properly. usiing plaster of paris at the moment but they break quite easily so i am searching for alternatives.

2 different styles of cobbles

View attachment 40058View attachment 40059View attachment 40060View attachment 40061

1/35 bricks and flagstones

View attachment 40063View attachment 40064

brick walls and roof tiles

View attachment 40062View attachment 40065

View attachment 43846

View attachment 43847

View attachment 43848

View attachment 43849

View attachment 43850

View attachment 43851

View attachment 43852

View attachment 43853

P120212_09.19.jpg

P120212_09.20.jpg

P120212_09.20_[01].jpg

P120212_09.20_[02].jpg

P120212_09.21.jpg

P120212_09.21_[01].jpg

P120212_09.21_[02].jpg

P120212_09.21_[03].jpg

S

sprayman

I have about 6 sheets of these 1:35 cobblestones, all I know is they are made from resin, but there not in packets so I dont know who makes them, I do however remember I got them from Ebay.The plan was to make casts from them as they have great detail.