Cracked Conrete Road ?????

0ne48thtel

Peter you could get a tester pot of Dulux soft stone that gives a nice concrete colour

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Peter, don't use your expensive spray paints!

Get some cheapo children's acrylic tube paints and try using a paint brush......just go over your concrete with grey or whatever colour you want. (no need to prime) Changing shade and colour slightly as you go. The paint will soak into the cracks naturally,and be a lot darker than the surface colour.

Using a brush gives a far better streaky surface variation in shade than an A.B. You will have noticed 'real' concrete tends to be ever so slightly different with each mix used...Then if you want, repeat the process with a slightly different shade.

Too often model 'concrete' is too bland and all the same shade....not like real stuff...as you've observed!

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Peter, I've just done this rough 3" square test piece to show how a brush does the texture, shading and fills cracks, whatever, as you apply the paint.
View attachment 112340

View attachment 112341

I hope this will be of some help.

Cheers,

Ron
Thanks Ron.......... I'll give that a go. I have some grey emulsion type paint in the garage. I guess that'll do the job thinned down a little ?????

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Peter you could get a tester pot of Dulux soft stone that gives a nice concrete colour
Thanks Terry ....... I hadn't thought of that ???

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Thanks Ron.......... I'll give that a go. I have some grey emulsion type paint in the garage. I guess that'll do the job thinned down a little ?????
Peter
I just had a thought Ron ........ I sealed it with PVA ...... So maybe I should have gone straight for paint instead ???

Peter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Peter
That'll work a treat.....

Just watch how all the cracks, general scratches and imperfections become highlighted all on their own.....Some you won't have even noticed before you applied the paint!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I just had a thought Ron ........ I sealed it with PVA ...... So maybe I should have gone straight for paint instead ???
Peter
Sorry I missed your post.

Not sure really, as I usually just slosh the paint on....no primer.

Give it a whirl, it should work and still flow into the cracks. Try a test corner first perhaps?

Try wiping the excess off with a cloth...It's only rough old concrete. Not summat from the Louvre! lol...

Later, try casting another piece and paint it direct.....One for the future!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Oil paints would work with this.

Si:smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Sorry I missed your post.
Not sure really, as I usually just slosh the paint on....no primer.

Give it a whirl, it should work and still flow into the cracks. Try a test corner first perhaps?

Try wiping the excess off with a cloth...It's only rough old concrete. Not summat from the Louvre! lol...

Later, try casting another piece and paint it direct.....One for the future!
Thanks Ron .......... I'll give it a go. I guess if worse comes to worse I can always scour off the surface with a green pot scourer ........ As you said it's only rough old concrete :rolleyes:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Oil paints would work with this.
Si:smiling3:
I'll give the thinned out emulsion thing a blast and see what results I get ........ Then if I think it needs it ....... I'll try a brown wash over it or part of it? ....... I have some "Ochre" oil I can use that........

Peter.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I'll give the thinned out emulsion thing a blast and see what results I get ........ Then if I think it needs it ....... I'll try a brown wash over it or part of it? ....... I have some "Ochre" oil I can use that........
Peter.
I have some patch pots that I have used in the past, work well. Doesn't matter what you get down as long as you get the desired look. The wall on the SW dio I did is thinned black oil paint and then other oils dabbed on and sponged off to get the look.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Finished ............ and I'm proper happy with it. A couple of thinned down coats of grey matt emulsion and a brown oil wash ......... I picked out the larger cracks and potholes with the wash and lightly sponged a few of areas, I didn't want to "over cook it" ....... The one darker patch(top right on the first photo) I've done is going to be where the barrier is on the road block ........ So that's my next job.

Big thanks to all you guys that offered help and advice.

Peter

View attachment 102298

View attachment 102299

View attachment 102300

View attachment 102301

DSCN1215.JPG

DSCN1216.JPG

DSCN1217.JPG

DSCN1218.JPG

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
CRACKING job Peter it looks smashing.
Thanks Terry ...... Yes I'm very happy with it. It's been proper educational........... I'm wondering if once it dries out if I ought to give it a "Matt Coat" or just leave it as is????

I'm doing this build the other way round to how I normally do things. I normally build the model first then by the time I get to thinking about a dio, I just cobble something together as I can't generate the enthusiasm for it ........... Once I finish this I can start on the Tiger and Figures.

Peter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent result Peter.

Now leave it alone!!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I wouldn't bother, but it's up to you...You certainly won't damage the concrete any more if you do!!!!

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
I wouldn't bother, but it's up to you...You certainly won't damage the concrete any more if you do!!!!
Maybe when I Matt Coat the model ........... Thanks Ron.

Peter

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
bit late with see your result on this one,sorry,but see that Ron has come along so all is good, ;)

very nice do like it,a natural crack is better than a unnatural on,even if more,:rolleyes:

do like the color as Ron,with out the sealer coat you do get diffidence shading of the gray in the cracks and holes,

well done, :smiling3: