Cyber hobby 1/32 Bf 109 E-4

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This will be my next project.

This is Pete Mac's fault :smiling3: He's already started his!

I'm going to do it as the aircraft of "The One That Got Away",Franz von Werra. I've always fancied this and recently saw the film,of that title,based on Von Werra's story again. Where would we be without good old Hardy Kruger,ever ready to play the German foe?

It is also an interesting and fairly well documented scheme.

It may take a while,this is a busy time of year for me work wise as festival season is upon us. Also I don't have any decals or masks for some of the markings yet,which might be a bit of a fly in the ointment.

Initial impressions are good apart from the instructions which are not the best. I am very familiar with this type of aircraft but not everybody is and might struggle a bit with some of the vagueness and colour calls.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice choice Steve...Plenty of decals to go at by the looks of the box art!

Ah yes, Hardy Kruger. The bloke who also designed model gliders and then built an aircraft from a wreck in the middle of the desert....Ja?

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

I`m gonna watch this with interest,as its wing tech cyber hobby,iheard they do good details in their kits

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ron, Ja that's him,actually a pretty decent actor.

Ole,I won't be doing the one on the box,that's Galland's aircraft and I,along with just about everybody else on the planet who has built a Bf 109 E,have done it before :smiling3:

The box art is not good at all by the way,a very inaccurate depiction of a very well known aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

T

TonyBv9

I'm looking forward to watching what you do with this one Steve. I plan to do a more modest 1/72 version.

I remember going into Beatties in Catford as a kid, and seeing a terrific dio of the von Werra crash scene. I can still picture it, even though it was 30+ years ago. That was when Sunday afternoons meant slapping together a kit with a classic war film on the telly. There was a small group of actors who always played the Germans, the one I always remember is Anton Diffring

He looked good in that uniform.

Tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I certainly remember him too. I believe he got out of Germany just before the war,he had good reason to.

I'm torn between attempting a diorama of the crash scene,with the aircraft still complete, before the ammunition and cowlings were removed,or just a regular build with the aircraft as it was before taking off on its final mission. I've just started the instrument panel so there's plenty of time to decide!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You know what I would say Steve.....You've made some great mini dioramas on here, so let's have another.

Going quickly back to German actors, if I may, one of the best is, or was, the bloke who popped his head out of the Tiger in Kelly's heroes. He also arrested Bartlett in The Great Escape...Can't remember his name though!

Cheers,

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Defo watching this one Steve. I've got this kit to build :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Another 109, awesome stuff. Balance it with another Spitfire afterwards though!

T

treyzx10r

Steve love the Emil ,looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this build!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have made a start!

There's no fancy decals or photo etch instrument panel so it's out with the fine brushes,first time for a while. There are a few decals to go on the IP when it has dried. I've no idea what colour the IP was in von Werra's aircraft,it could have been any of several greys,I've gone for RLM 66 on the grounds that it looks good. Everything else has a coat of RLM 02. The seat is waiting for the photo etch harness which also comes unpainted and is currently also drying.

I've reverted to enamel paints for this one,a mixture of Humbrol (some of which are twenty years old!) and White Ensign Colourcoats which spray beautifully.

There's a LOT of parts in these sub-assemblies!

I've had a quick fondle of the engine,it looks very nice and I might stick some of that together next.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice Steve great start.

Vaughan

P

Pete Mac

That looks very 'de ja vu' Steve. I've just completed the engine on mine and stuck the fuselage halves together. I shall be very interested to see how you get on with the gun tray canopy etc. I had to remove some plastic on the inside of mine and remove the gun breaches to get it all to fit. Thanks again for the info. on compressors by the way. I did reply but may have inadvertantly deleted it. It's an age thing they tell me! Good luck with the ME.

Regards, Pete

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the heads up Pete.

To this end I'm endeavouring to ensure that the cockpit and gun deck sub assembly are correctly fitted. I've dry fitted the whole shebang into a fuselage half which will act as a jig whilst the various components dry in place.

Meanwhile I can get on with all the various bits'n'bobs that will eventually be attached to the sidewalls.

Cheers

Steve

Edit.

I've just had a play with the fit of the two MGs on the gun deck. Because of the order that the instructions would have you assemble these parts I found that the breaches of the guns would not fit between the ammunition feed and the cartridge ejection chute. I filed the gun breaches slightly to allow them to fit between the feed and chute. If you don't do this the MGs will sit proud by about 3mm and the upper cowling definitely won't fit.

Steve

P

Pete Mac

Hi Steve. I found the same with the MGs. and took a similar remedial course. More problematic though, for me anyway, was finding that the shroud behind the instrument panel sits too high and fouls the cowl(covering the shroud) This is where I had to relieve both the underside of the cowl and shroud to allow the cowl to fit down into it's correct position. I managed it in the end but it was a bit trial and error. Maybe I went about it the wrong way but could'nt see a way around it. anyhow the end result may mean to hard fit this cowl in place which means never to see the gun mechs. again. Never mind. No doubt ,you will overcome this small problem if anyone can.

Very best of luck. Regards. Pete.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I see. Well the fit seems very positive so far,mind you I've just built a PCM kit where the fit is a bit vague.

I've got the gun deck flush with the fuselage side and the shroud flush with the top of the IP so I'm hoping for the best. I'm toying with the idea of posing the model as in one of the well known photos with the cowling removed and the ammo boxes taken out,but I haven't decided yet. The ammo boxes (for the MGs) aren't in the kit as far as I can tell.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been rattling along with this one.

Fuselage is joined up with the office in and I've made a start on the engine (which is nicely detailed but with a lot of bits not provided,if I was definitely going to display it I would think about adding some bits and pieces).

This is a very nice kit. The fit generally is as good as it gets which certainly speeds things along.

Cheers

Steve