Cyber hobby 1/32 Bf 109 E-4

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've fitted the wings and have dry fitted the control surfaces to those pesky photo etch hinges.

Looks a bit like an aeroplane now :smiling3:

It all seems to go together quite nicely. Now I've got to construct the equally fiddly attachments for the elevators and rudder.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

you are definately one of the best model makers i know mate,awesome

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Due to me being on the 'Oggin' trying to reach the Scilly Isles and being battered to bits by a bad storm, with the ship ending up running for cover to Southern Ireland, I have missed progress on this very impressive build....How you people cope with P.E. amazes me, I can't even see the stuff!

Nice one Steve.

Ron

P

Pete Mac

Hi steve. we are both at the same stage now.As S..d's law dictates, I've managed to lose the inner flap hinge assembly ( the one behind the radiator housing) and may have to resort to rigidly fixing the flap to the wing. I've tried Hannants for a replacment PE panel without success. Does anyone have any ideas where I may get hold of a replacement or of suggest a way around the problem. Don't think I shall be too worried about flap deployment degrees at this stage as long I can get this problem sorted I shall be happy. All the best , Pete

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ole, thanks but not really. Check some of the other guys building on this very site :smiling3:

Ron,sounds like another of your typical adventures! As for photo etch,a good magnifier is the most vital tool of all. I've never invested in the fancy folding tools and stuff like that,I've never needed them.

Pete I can only suggest trying Cyber-hobby direct for the hinge parts. The hinge part you are missing is mostly hidden within the radiator fairing.

If you too are going flaps up,or are not bothered about having them moveable, then you could just cut a part the correct shape from a bit of plastic card to represent the hinge and hold the flap in the desired position.

I'm going to have von Werra's aircraft on the morning of his final flight. I did toy with a crash diorama but there is a lot of good detail in this kit including the wheel wells and I don't want to hide it all. To this end I'm planning for my flaps to be at least partially down,I've seen plenty of images of parked Bf 109s at this time in this configuration.

Maybe something like this mucky example.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking mighty fine Steve!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is where I'm going to have to leave this one for a while.

All major construction is complete,it looks like one of those test builds you sometimes see at shows!

I have other commitments for a while and I'm not going to start masking and painting until I can get a decent run at it. I will resume this thread then.

Thanks for watching so far......to be continued....

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There's been a resurrection (as my mother was informed as an insurrection kicked off the Biafran war!).

I've finally had a chance to re-start this project. I haven't done a lot but the underside has a coat of RLM 65.

This is just the base coat. Shading etc will follow but I wanted to show that the project has not been abandoned.

Photo even worse than usual due to SWMBO and daughter "number one" taking camera on a week end break in the sun,forcing your's truly to resort to his phone camera :smiling3:

I've reverted to using enamel paints recently and this (and other camouflage colours) is from the excellent "Colourcoat" line from White Ensign Models.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great looking build thus far Steve. Nice to see someone using enamels too.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the basic camouflage on. I'm not happy with the demarcation on the wing leading edge. It's in the right place (high,above the cannon) but I sprayed it with a soft edge and it doesn't look right. I'll sort it out with some other "touch ups" but it'll have to wait until tomorrow as I've used enamel paints.

I'm also not happy with the panel infront of the windsceen. It was obviously a replacement on von Werra's aeroplane as it doesn't match the rest of the camouflage with its high,soft,edge but it too just doesn't look right.

Cheers

Steve

A

AJay

Steve, this is looking ace! I really like the upper surface camo pattern.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi steve , apologies mate ive only just caught this one! Like ron ive been otherwise engaged! Fantastic work so far , this looks like a very nice, precise kit. Looking forward to the next stage , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks fellas.

I've resolved the conundrum of the cowling directly in front of the windscreen. It just looked wrong to me.

Everyone agrees it doesn't "fit" with the rest of the camouflage on von Werra's machine. Unfortunately it was removed from the aircraft,at the site ,not long after the landing,probably because the authorities wanted to access and disarm the two machine guns.

There is one dodgy photo with this cowling in place. Modellers and profilers have interpreted this in various ways,some even going for an RLM 02 mottle. The problem is that there were rules about camouflage and if this part came from another aircraft it would have essentially the same scheme as von Werra's. The height of the demarcations did vary and this is why it doesn't line up. After much fiddling with the image I'm convinced that the "spare" cowling is painted in RLM 71/02 with a fairly normal,hard demarcation about 6" higher than that on von Werra's aircraft and that's how I'm going to do it.

There are many more conundrums associated with von Werra and his aircraft,not least of all who actually shot him down. He claimed that he was the victim of a mid-air collision(which he certainly was not)with another Bf 109. I wonder if a certain D.R.S.Bader heard that story and appropriated it for himself later?

Isn't history,and model making,fun.

More to come.......and a model too.

Cheers

Steve

Edit,dry enough for a photo. Sorry it's so bad,I'm still using my phone.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, I've just been playing 'catch up' and have re-read this thread of yours.....

Apart from the excellent build, it is a first class read, full of information and archive pictures, not only of the aircraft, but the blokes who flew them.....Terrific stuff

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Small early morning update!

I'm now happy with the cowlings.Both the one infront of the windscreen (over the MG breeches and feeds) and the upper engine cowling were either replacements or repairs. The rear one's camouflage did not match the rest of the aircraft.

The engine cowling was noticeably cleaner and lighter than the rest of the aircraft, I'll be dirtying up the model later. Some profiles have this cowling white but I don't believe that this was the case. The CEAR (crashed enemy aircraft report) specifically states that the fuselage was blue and would normally mention a different coloured nose as this was a tactical marking and important information.

The CEAR does note the white wing tips and rudder. I've also painted the tailplane tips white despite the CEAR not specifically mentioning this. I think there is a hint of this in some photos and other aircraft in this unit certainly sported white tailplane tips.

Despite the presence of Simba this is not the aircraft I'm modelling though Von Werra may have flown it for all I know.

Here's mine.

Another bad phone camera piccy I'm afraid but it gives an idea of what's been going on.

Cheers

Steve

K

Keith9657

Is there a particular shade of white or have you blended it, Steve?

Keith

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking good Steve.

Your attention to historical detail is amazing as ever. This is an area I'm a bit guilty of turning a blind eye to...

Colin M..

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Keith,I've just sprayed an acrylic white over the camouflage (enamel). I haven't overdone it as I want to give a hint of the underlying colour showing through. I'll distress the white a bit more on the leading edges and the control surfaces later.

I always try and imagine how markings like this were originally applied. An order would have come down from the Gruppe that white tactical markings were to be applied.You can imagine the reaction of the busy ground crews,something along the lines of "for f**k's sake!".

They would have grabbed a white aircraft paint,probably one intended for marking numbers or other insignia,in 1940 there wasn't a permanent winter white in the inventory. They would then have probably brushed or possibly sprayed it on. I reckon they would have removed the rudder to do it. Easy to get off,but then more work re-attaching it and setting it up properly. I can imagine ground crew being less than impressed with the extra work.

The result is white tactical markings that were applied in a hurry,using a paint that may not have been as permanent as might be hoped.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Looking good Steve.Your attention to historical detail is amazing as ever. This is an area I'm a bit guilty of turning a blind eye to...

Colin M..
Nothing wrong with that. Everyone should build in a way that they enjoy. For me the historical aspect is part of the fun,or challenge,but it's not for everyone.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Today I have been doing mostly decals.

Lots of them,this is a newish aircraft in 1940 so all the little frame numbers etc.

At last this Bf 109 has it's identity.

I've used Techmod decals for von Werra specific markings but I'm not a big fan of them. Where possible (balkenkreuz,stab markings) I've used the superb Cartograph decals from the kit. The swastikas are from the spares box and of unknown provenance.

I need to muck this up a bit but I finally have a scenario in mind.

The model will be posed with von Werra,groundcrew (maybe a lion and of course a bucket....not sure where to get a lion cub!)early on the morning of its final flight on 5/9/40.

I have decided,unilaterally and contrary to the received wisdom,that the very mucky appearance of the aircraft in the "crash" photos is due to the use of full throttle in the preceding combat,the engine damage (eyewitnesses describe the engine "popping and banging" prior to the forced landing) and the crash landing itself.

To this end the weathering will be as per any other JG 3 aircraft of this time,used but well maintained and relatively clean and tidy.

Cheers

Steve