Dave Ward's Vulcan 1/35 Light Tank Mk. VIB BEF

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
On the final stages of my eggcopter, and the IT-1 Tank, I've decided on this for the next build. It's going to be OOB - the model itself is pretty detailed. I'm going to paint it with these.........

I'll be putting up some sprue shots before starting construction, but this is a taster of what I can expect
These springs, and rods330393
Go into the suspension - the instructions as to where they fit are a bit 'busy'330394

The tracks are link and length - if they had been individual links, I would never attempt this!
Construction will start shortly
Dave

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
OOOooooooooo!!! you're going to be sorry. If not already started on the suspension,
C/a part B3 onto end of pin, feed through A5, 6, 7 or 8 as you feel comfy with, feed in springs - add part A19 - add second set of springs, now for the juggling act, feed as an example the end of the pin through the part A6 from part A8 and slight ly conpress the spring. With a dab of C/a on the end add the adjusting part B3 and wait for it to dry. Once you have the springs on say parts A8/A6 and A5/A7 then go for final assembly. If you lose parts I think I have spares in the stash - pm me.
Meanwhile....
Apart from a headache, this is as far as mine has reached to date...
Cheers, Mike.

Last edited:

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike,
are you trying to put me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave :cold-sweat:
Bite the bullet, think of England and St George or is it Georgy in this pc world, I give up! About two days should see you through this part working slow and steady. You could of course cut it down to half an hour in a black bin bag and a torch, that way you will not lose anything, but do not touch sensitive parts, you may have c/a on your fingers. And remember, you are not doing this for yourself but for all the modellers everywhere :tears-of-joy:.
Mike.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Ooooh. Looking forward to this Dave.I've got it in my little stash.Taken it out a couple of times,had a good look and quietly put it back again!
Jon.

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave

Not heard of Vulcan Models before. The kit seems to have a "reputation". Good luck.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Vulcan Models made a few models ten years ago, but seem to have vanished. A few sprue, and part shots...........................330478330473330474330475
Link and length tracks - still a bit small!330477330476

Decals, a little PE fret, a few hatch parts, and that bag of springs and rods.................330472

I'm going to have to think about the sequence of painting, and build, to minimise problems
Dave

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Vulcan Models made a few models ten years ago, but seem to have vanished. A few sprue, and part shots...........................View attachment 330478View attachment 330473View attachment 330474View attachment 330475
Link and length tracks - still a bit small!View attachment 330477View attachment 330476

Decals, a little PE fret, a few hatch parts, and that bag of springs and rods.................View attachment 330472

I'm going to have to think about the sequence of painting, and build, to minimise problems
Dave
Dave, pm me and I will send you an outline template for the tracks, save you struggling with trying to get the tracks onto such a small model.
Cheers, Mike.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Dave

Not heard of Vulcan Models before. The kit seems to have a "reputation". Good luck.
Jim
Jim. This looks to be an excellent little model but skills in advanced microsurgery would be an advantage.
Jon.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So working Suspension and solid tracks.... Hmm. Still an interesting build to watch.
Am I correct that they are the same tracks as a 'Universal/Bren carrier'.
If the springs and rods dont drive you nuts, you could try and get the single link tracks for it... LOL:tears-of-joy:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
So working Suspension and solid tracks.... Hmm.
I don’t think the idea is to have a working suspension, but to have one that replicates the springs well, which is rather hard to do in plastic.

Am I correct that they are the same tracks as a 'Universal/Bren carrier’.
I’m not sure they were 100% the same and interchangeable, but they certainly didn’t differ much. I wouldn’t want to put together loose track links for any of these, I think.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
No, Ian, I'm not going to make things any worse than they are now! :fearful:
Dave
Dave,
If it is any consolation, I scratchbuilt one of these back in 1978, used the now defunct Profile publications booklet for the plans. The whole thing was scratch from the tracks to the rivets, no resin just pure plastic. Your item in now in progress.
Cheers, Mike.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I don’t think the idea is to have a working suspension, but to have one that replicates the springs well, which is rather hard to do in plastic.

I’m not sure they were 100% the same and interchangeable, but they certainly didn’t differ much. I wouldn’t want to put together loose track links for any of these, I think.
Jakko,
Pretty sure they were the same tracks, according to the Carrier books even the suspension parts were interchangeable, so i would take it that the tracks were as well. Mike.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm surprised at the number of views this thread has - 100 @19:45 on 21/02. - and I haven't even cut any plastic yet! Is it the uncommon kit, or the BEF.................or what? I'm curious!
Dave

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I'm surprised at the number of views this thread has - 100 @19:45 on 21/02. - and I haven't even cut any plastic yet! Is it the uncommon kit, or the BEF.................or what? I'm curious!
Dave
Just waiting for the blood splatter......

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think most of us are wondering “is he really going to build that.....” and cheering you on :cool:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Not just BEF of course.North Africa,Crete etc.
a ubiquitous little tank.Plus no-one else has the cojones to start it.
Jon.