Dave Ward's Vulcan 1/35 Light Tank Mk. VIB BEF

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Vulcan, in their wisdom, don't provide any spare track links! So no pressure...................
What is it with these manufacturers who think nobody ever loses a part? Or to put it another way, would it really bankrupt them to add a couple of extra links, grab handles, and similar small, easily lost or broken parts to a kit?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a day away from the bench ( just didn't feel like it ),I've added the fenders & plastic supports, and couldn't resist trying the turret on.................331450

Looking at the instructions, I thought that I was going to have to bend the headlamp boxes
from PE

Both sides are similar...............
However, with a closer look at the instructions - I find that there are plastic bits331449331451

Hmmm I can't see any advantage in using the PE, in fact I would say the plastic bits win out, due to Health & Safety reasons!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I suppose the etched parts are there for those who want crisper, finer parts and/or the bragging rights of having built them. At least they give you a choice instead of only providing the etched bits, though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I would go for the PE, if the light boxes had a distinctive shape, but............
( pictures for discussion purposes only )331527331528
The plastic looks better and better!
Dave

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
It's looking good Dave, the PE does look a bit fiddly.

D

Deleted member 6559

Nice work Dave on a great looking little tank. I find the biggest dilemma is how much to paint before assembly, the paint making gluing difficult. I too have had the same problem with link and length tracks and now assemble them unpainted.

As for dog hairs, Joe is having an early moult at the moment, so they're getting everywhere.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
are you telling me you've never done that - concentrating on some thing so completely, that you haven't noticed the drops of CA waiting, like a venus fly trap....................
Dave
ps Just Noticed - 1000 posts!
Ha, isn't fun, and you don't have to even leave the house . I always manage to get the super glue to work quicker on my fingers than on the plastic . When you have spent a considerable amount of time looking for that elusive piece of pe, only to eventually find it glued to the top of your thumb nail !
John .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave all joking apart I admire your track building, some thing as you know I fear, and that small as well, double panic .
John .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I always manage to get the super glue to work quicker on my fingers than on the plastic .
The glue cures through the presence of water, so fingers, especially if they’re moist, will glue far more quickly than two bits of plastic or metal. It’s also why blowing on superglue as it cures will help it to set.

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Primed, & basecoated - missing is the exhaust, lightboxes, tools, and a few minor details331737331738

I'll brush paint the dark green camo patches, then will be an overspray of gloss varnish, before decals - there are a surprising number of those............
Dave

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Dave,
That is looking impressive, as for the light boxes, go with what you are comfortable with.
Cheers, Mike.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave im not into tanks to build but I like lookin at em an Ive just looked through your build an I must admit its amazeing you must have fantastic amount of patience on them small parts great build v- well done :cool::rolling:
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Many thanks for your kind words - it's mainly time, not patience! Since I'm retired I can stop, and take a break, then go back- even take a day off!
I was thinking of following on my thread of BEF, with a Matilda Mk.I , then I did a bit of research & found that there have been 2 models in 1/35, Commander Models from the USA, which seems to have disappeared, and Accurate Armour. The Accurate Armour model retails for £68.50 - whilst I am sure it is a fine model, is far too rich for my blood! I do have a Bronco A13 II Mark IV in the stash, but the microscopic individual track links of this have pushed it to the foundation level of stash storage! So that looks like the end of my British BEF AFVs....................
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was thinking of following on my thread of BEF, with a Matilda Mk.I , then I did a bit of research & found that there have been 2 models in 1/35, Commander Models from the USA, which seems to have disappeared
I seem to recall from articles in Military Modelling that Commander Models kits require a good deal of work — IIRC they on purpose don’t include many parts that you can get elsewhere easily.

I do have a Bronco A13 II Mark IV in the stash, but the microscopic individual track links of this have pushed it to the foundation level of stash storage! So that looks like the end of my British BEF AFVs....................
A13s had bigger track links than Vickers tanks. Still not large by modern standards, but not as bad as this light tank you’re building. Cromwell Models had an A13 too, but whether buying the tracks from that separately would be possible … your guess is as good as mine, I suppose.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I found Commander Models - they're a subsidiary of Ironshipwrights in the USA - no sign of the Matilda in their catalogue
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
How bad do you want one?
On the bright side they are on sale, as long as stock lasts..

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Still. It would be nice.
i'd love to see a Matilda I in plastic.
great job on this ons Dave. It can be done!!
Jon.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I found Commander Models - they're a subsidiary of Ironshipwrights in the USA - no sign of the Matilda in their catalogue
I would not advise anyone to visit their site — it looks like it was designed 20 years ago and never had an overhaul, and blue on olive drab is not easily readable :smiling3:

But it looks like the only option is the Accurate Armour kit, yes.