Dragon 1/35 German Super Tank Maus - or stitched up by my Grandson again!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the next bit of armour for my Grandson's shelf.
A monster of a tank.
9m. long.
188 tons.
6 crew.
12.8cm. main gun.
Top speed 20km/h
Turret mounted 7.5cm + an M.G.34 machine gun.

Two prototypes were built. As the war ended the Russians found them and one was sent back to Russia for testing.
A restored Maus is currently in the Kublinka Collection.

If the above information is incorrect, please don't pull me up, I'm just a thick old retired joiner copying the bumph on the instruction sheet.

Big bits of plastic.....

You will see in the thread title 'Stitched up again!'
Here's why. This thing had 24 suspension units and 48 road wheels. Top right are the completed 12 inner units. With the obvious exception of the drive and idler wheels, all the other bits shown below fix on the outer suspension whatsits.

No wonder the crafty young so n' so gave me the model to build!

Still, hopefully another hug in sight...... :thumb2::smiling4:

Cheers.
Ron

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I thought stitched up was either
  1. instructions wrong/part numbering wrong
  2. parts missing/damaged

Both of which are the average find for me with Dragon kits.

Looks like a beast of a model, good luck.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Me thinks he's got too much of his Grandad in him for his own good!

I know I should be sunbathing, but I just couldn't resist gluing one of the road wheel units together. Luckily I spent all my working life trying to figure out Architects drawings, so these Dragon plans hold no fear for me!...... :confused: :upside:

Have you ever seen anything quite like this 10 part bundle of joy?!

It all wobbles and pivots like a fat women full of Vodka!
Another 23 to do and then a big clean up.

Should all be ready to give his Lordship the finished model at Christmas.

Cheers.
Ron

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Have you ever seen anything quite like this 10 part bundle of joy?!
Yep, I have, about fifteen years ago — when I converted this model into a custom-designed Space Marine superheavy tank for one of my Warhammer 40K armies :smiling3:

This model has one big plus: you only need to build about half the track links. The upper run is completely out of sight behind those thick side skirts, so no need to bother with that.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Yep, got you right where you want to be....
Mike.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
570, you are a glutton for punishment. Not only does the Lad have you building models for him but he seems to have picked out some real "Buggers" to build!
I know that after the "Zulus" left Rorke's Drift you were at a loss for things to do, but this is stretching it a bit!!:tongue-out2:
Cheers Mate, Rick H.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm those should keep you out of trouble for a few days! If you are interested, the road wheels on the British Tortoise are just as much 'fun'!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This model has one big plus: you only need to build about half the track links. The upper run is completely out of sight behind those thick side skirts, so no need to bother with that.
As a fully payed up, and founder member of the 'If it ain't seen it ain't getting done.' club, I had already clocked that particular wheeze - I adopt the same creed with all my builds..... :thumb2: However, on this occasion, as you might be aware, it's not really my model.

Great posts boys. gave me a reet good chuckle!..... :thumb2:

Here's last nights 'Entertainment'

I've cleaned up all that will be seen. The rest can go and take a hike and stay hidden in the dark depths. Yes I know, but what's the point?

I'm glad to get that lot behind me, that's for sure!

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
You have been stitched up indeed. Mind you I shouldn't talk - spent yesterday clambering around the kiddies playground at The Ice Cream Farm to celebrate my granddaughter's second birthday.
Looks like good progress on the wheely bits.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim, at least you got an ice cream for your troubles!

Update.
Nice to see the usual February weather back with us - Wet and cold. Although it does mean den time......:thumb2:

All wheel assemblies stuck to lower chassis.

I might yet fit the whole length of tracks. So just in case, I've fixed the top rollers in position. I'll make a final decision later in the build.

EDIT - I've had me a 'thunk' regarding leaving bits off this kit that are not seen. How could I even consider such a thing? It's my Grandson's model and his money! He entrusted it to me for heavens sake, so a full build it is..... :smiling4:

Mind you if it were mine I would be leaving loads out.
Cheers.
Ron

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've had me a 'thunk' regarding leaving bits off this kit that are not seen. How could I even consider such a thing? It's my Grandson's model and his money! He entrusted it to me for heavens sake, so a full build it is..... :smiling4:
You can also look at it this way: if you leave the unseen tracks off, he’s getting more value for money. For example, you could put some of those tracks on the front of the hull and/or the sides of the turret, like on many other German tanks of the period.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Your gonna need to stock up on your glue and paints mate!
That’s a proper beast....better you then me doing them wheels !

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Jakko - The Maus didn't have tracks fastened to the hull or turret sides, so I won't put stuff on it never had fitted. Apart from anything else, I've nearly completed one side of the tracks.
The Grandson is bound to check anyway, so I'll play safe.
Thanks for the suggestion none the less.

Cheers all.
Ron