Dragon 1/35 German Super Tank Maus - or stitched up by my Grandson again!!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great model Ron, I'm sure you will do it more than justice!

Wow, look at that! it didn't event hurt one little bit :thinking:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko - The Maus didn't have tracks fastened to the hull or turret sides, so I won't put stuff on it never had fitted.
Are you building this as one of the vehicles that actually saw service, then, or as a might-have-been-had-it-entered-production? In the first case, I agree with you; in the second, it’s reasonable to assume it would have spare tracks on its turret or hull like other German tanks of the period.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Are you building this as one of the vehicles that actually saw service, then, or as a might-have-been-had-it-entered-production? In the first case, I agree with you; in the second, it’s reasonable to assume it would have spare tracks on its turret or hull like other German tanks of the period.
I'm just building it O.O.B. for my Grandson, so I'm not really bothered either way. I'm certainly not going to get involved in a protracted discussion as to whether it did or didn't have track sections fixed to it's various appendages. Life's too short.

My goodness, just look at the time. I'm ready for a cup of cocoa.
Night night.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I take my hat off to you on those wheels ! Well done .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR is right those wheels are more than I would tackle. Enjoy your cocoa, Matron has your meds all ready, nitey nite.:tongue-out3:
Cheers, Rick H.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Ron
You have been stitched up indeed. Mind you I shouldn't talk - spent yesterday clambering around the kiddies playground at The Ice Cream Farm to celebrate my granddaughter's second birthday.
Looks like good progress on the wheely bits.
Jim
Well I hope you had your reigns on, and a tag with your name and address tied to your collar.... Mike.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Jim, at least you got an ice cream for your troubles!

Update.
Nice to see the usual February weather back with us - Wet and cold. Although it does mean den time......:thumb2:

All wheel assemblies stuck to lower chassis.
View attachment 331204

I might yet fit the whole length of tracks. So just in case, I've fixed the top rollers in position. I'll make a final decision later in the build.
View attachment 331205

EDIT - I've had me a 'thunk' regarding leaving bits off this kit that are not seen. How could I even consider such a thing? It's my Grandson's model and his money! He entrusted it to me for heavens sake, so a full build it is..... :smiling4:

Mind you if it were mine I would be leaving loads out.
Cheers.
Ron
I would have told him anyway :angry: so there.... Mike.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ron, after spending all that time building that suspension, it would be a crime not to go the whole hog and add all the tracks - go for it.... Mike.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good Crack!

Best part of today gone, but I've finished the suspension and tracks. It all went together without any major issues - Just a bit of a strain on the old peepers.

My 1/35 paratrooper gives a good indication just how big the tracks alone were on the brute. His rifle is touching the tracks.

Painting next. When my eyes return to their respective sockets, that is....... :flushed:

Cheers.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't think that would fit on a rail car for transport...clearly a last ditch weapon. Looking forward to the wet stuff, one color or camo?
Cheers Mate, Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Don't you guys think it's nice to see young Ron keeping himself busy now he's finished with his zulus? The mind boggles at what he'd be up to if he was out and about and running wild on the streets!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I don't think that would fit on a rail car for transport...
This here gives a very good idea of just how big this thing was:

Though keep in mind the guy is about two metres tall, so it’s actually even bigger than it looks :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your input boys. Much appreciated.

Rick - I've been in contact with my Grandson and he informs me he wants it the same German Grey as the VK 7201(K) I built on here recently.
Pity 'cos I wanted to brush on the camouflage as per box art. Not to worry, it's his model, so I will have to obey orders - The spoil sport!

Update.... Brush painted using Vallejo German Grey Model Air acrylics.
Apart from adding the side skirts and final weathering, the running gear etc. is more or less finished. You can see just how much will be hidden when the side skirts are fixed to those 6 fixing plates.

I keep my track painting simple. One coat of what I fancy, then shine up the road contact points with a pencil.

As some parts are a large area of plastic I decided to brush prime them. I used 'Stynylrez' primer for no other reason than that's all I possess. Applied with a large flat headed brush.
The upper deck with all the bits fixed.

This is supposed to be the same colour as the above picture! A couple of bits still to add, simply because I've just spotted their omission..... :upside:

The side skirts with a really generous beer barrel to stick on the a**e end....... :thumb2::smiling4:

Cheers all.

Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice progress 570, I've never built one of these but I do have an E-100 in the stash. Even in 1/87 scale it dwarfs everything on the shelf.
Cheers, Rick H.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ron,
That is coming along at a pace, bet the grandson is chuffed to bits.
Mike.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

It's a quick build I know, but to be honest, once the running gear is done the rest is very straight forward, easy and not many parts. No frills like grab rails, step-ups and the like!

Now the construction of the model is completed, I've included yer man again to give a proper idea of how big this tank was.

Here's the finished 'Mouse' primed up and ready for some paint. That 'Stynylrez' primer is great for brushing over large areas of plastic.... :thumb2:

Paint, decals and weathering next.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Rain, rain and more rain = Den time.... :thumb2:

The Maus is now finished.
Pictures over in 'Armour Completed'

Thanks for all your support along the way. It's all very much appreciated.

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
It certainly is a great big, slab sided beast. Stynylrez is good for brush and airbrush - takes paint well and seems pretty tough. I look forward to the finished piccies.
Your grandson can now rightly boast to his mates - "My tank's bigger than your tank" :smiling2:
Jim