Duster AASPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
lovely build do real like the style of these builds,the color and weathering of them, ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks all. Dark washing is the key, a diluted mix of brown and black-make sure it gets into all the seams and crevices, let dry and repeat if necessary don't be afraid just slap it on entire model then gradually dry brush original color back in stages.Then go to a lightened original color just to highlight edges Then go to a mix of silver/black/reddish brown and very lightly dry brush the edges where you would think the metal should be worn a bit, this gives a nice effect. I find that ladies eye shadow brushes work nicely. To apply road grime and dirt just take a stiff old brush with a flat tan color blot most of it off on a paper towel and lightly dab it about the obvious places, go lightly at first

[you could always add more}. Just keep at it eventually you'll find your groove ALWAYS flatterd to give advice and is no trouble at all. YOURS JIM

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
One of faves and you have defo done it justice, outstanding piece, love the paintwork and look of the thing...awesome.

Si:smiling3:

T

Tibbs

Brilliant..........., *NEWB ALERT*, please explain like you were talking to a ten year old, how much do to dilute for a wash..... And what do you mean by dry brush?..... Remember the only silly questions are the ones not asked:oops:

T

tommy1drop

Nice build and finish, lovely weathering, really like this one;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Brilliant..........., *NEWB ALERT*, please explain like you were talking to a ten year old, how much do to dilute for a wash..... And what do you mean by dry brush?..... Remember the only silly questions are the ones not asked:oops:
Hi Tibbs---ok-here we go....I use water based acrylics {cheapies from the craft store} these are easy to use as they come with a squeeze top cap. Gosh I do everything by eye so it's hard to give exact measurements. Lets just say mix a small amount of brown and black in a small jar lid or what ever you use, gradually add water a few drops at a time until it becomes runny {color should be more on the brownish side, pure black being too sterile} give er a test on base painted part of model --should be able to run into creases etc... thicken or thin till you get it right --you'll know when it's right. Once dry next comes dry brushing technique---the right type of brush is critical---- after years of experimenting have found ladies eye shadow brushes to work best, they are very soft and durable and CHEAP just put very small amount of original veh color onto it then rub MOST of it off onto paper towel --starting on larger areas work brush in circular motion working towards seams, creases etc...can't get it all done in one pass--- allow to dry and gradually build up your coats {may take several} tediouse and time consuming I know but once you get the feel of it you will see it's effects come to life before your very eyes! also great for weathering etc......hope this helps just stick with it and you will find your groove............JIM

T

Tibbs

Brilliant, thanks.... Sometimes you have a rough idea of how to do these things, watched youtube vids, and sometimes just plain old english is best :smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Brilliant, thanks.... Sometimes you have a rough idea of how to do these things, watched youtube vids, and sometimes just plain old english is best :smiling3:
glad to be of any assistance I can anytime

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
The days back in 'Nam........:rolleyes:

Nice! I do like your flair for the weathering. :smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
The days back in 'Nam........:rolleyes:Nice! I do like your flair for the weathering. :smiling3:
Thank you much! back in the day I had no one to bounce off of, studied pics of Verlinden stuff and had to figure out just how the heck he got the effects that he did, spent many a year figuring it out. Hope I have come close to his style {note I said close} he was truly the master of masters and remains my idol till this day! As far as the days you mention I wish to forget more than I remember YOURS JIM

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
My apologies for dredging up old memories in my referral to the period when the "duster" was used.:oops:

As for Verlinden, I guess he is the "benchmark"....o_O

Keep up the effort!! :smiling3:

An apologetic Snowman (Gavin)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Damn good.......... I like it a lot.

Peter

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
My apologies for dredging up old memories in my referral to the period when the "duster" was used.:oops:As for Verlinden, I guess he is the "benchmark"....o_O

Keep up the effort!! :smiling3:

An apologetic Snowman (Gavin)
Don't give it another thought! AHHH-- Verlinden! such a pity we lost him at such an early age :sad: in photos I've seen of him at his work station there was always an ash tray overflowing with cigarette butts. Makes one wonder.

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
A terrible difficult habit to kick for some, my "sergeant major" erm... wife applied plenty of well aimed pressure.....:rolleyes:

Not that I'm complaining. :smiling3:

Bottoms Up! Here is to the next build, though I'm dragging at the mo, but that is the way it goes..... :smiling3:

G~)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
A terrible difficult habit to kick for some, my "sergeant major" erm... wife applied plenty of well aimed pressure.....:rolleyes:Not that I'm complaining. :smiling3:

Bottoms Up! Here is to the next build, though I'm dragging at the mo, but that is the way it goes..... :smiling3:

G~)
You're lucky, my mrs. is a full bird colonel !!!!

N

noble

Very nicely done sir, and built on the chassis of the chaffee tank I believe.

Scott