Duster AASPG

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Very nicely done sir, and built on the chassis of the chaffee tank I believe.Scott
Thanks Scott, you were close it is actually the Walker Bulldog chassis which as a matter of fact will be my next roll out.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Very nicely done sir, and built on the chassis of the chaffee tank I believe.Scott
You're close actually Walker Bulldog chassis {thought I replied on this before , must have got lost in the sauce} Oh! :smiling3: thanx

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
A terrible difficult habit to kick for some, my "sergeant major" erm... wife applied plenty of well aimed pressure.....:rolleyes:
Not that I'm complaining. :smiling3:

Bottoms Up! Here is to the next build, though I'm dragging at the mo, but that is the way it goes..... :smiling3:

G~)
Well aimed pressure? Bottoms up? Must have a talk with the Mrs. I need to quit too ! :rolleyes: ;) No wonder your "Dragging !" ;)

0ne48thtel

Another master piece Jim the weathering is stunning as always.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Terry, just fishing about in the backwaters, see some very nice builds that have all but been forgotten. Think I'll bring back some of those oldies (not necessarily mine) in many cases you can see the gradual improvement of technique and skill in many of the longer time members. Very interesting indeed;)..............Jim:smiling3:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice Jim, very nice

Lee :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
Another Awesome instalment from across the pond!!

Very nice Jim and nice to have the " how to in this thread

Really like the style

Regards

Robert

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Hi Tibbs---ok-here we go....I use water based acrylics {cheapies from the craft store} these are easy to use as they come with a squeeze top cap. Gosh I do everything by eye so it's hard to give exact measurements. Lets just say mix a small amount of brown and black in a small jar lid or what ever you use, gradually add water a few drops at a time until it becomes runny {color should be more on the brownish side, pure black being too sterile} give er a test on base painted part of model --should be able to run into creases etc... thicken or thin till you get it right --you'll know when it's right. Once dry next comes dry brushing technique---the right type of brush is critical---- after years of experimenting have found ladies eye shadow brushes to work best, they are very soft and durable and CHEAP just put very small amount of original veh color onto it then rub MOST of it off onto paper towel --starting on larger areas work brush in circular motion working towards seams, creases etc...can't get it all done in one pass--- allow to dry and gradually build up your coats {may take several} tediouse and time consuming I know but once you get the feel of it you will see it's effects come to life before your very eyes! also great for weathering etc......hope this helps just stick with it and you will find your groove............JIM
One day Jim, you must make a YouTube tutorial on this, such an effective method, and available to all, regardless of budget! I think also that your work method relies upon knowing your paints, it's so important to get to know their foibles and properties, this cannot be stressed enough. You also have to see past the first few coats, which always look like you've sneezed on the thing! I love the way that the surface builds and eventually rewards you with a surface that is both complex and realistic! Great work, as ever:D

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
One day Jim, you must make a YouTube tutorial on this, such an effective method, and available to all, regardless of budget! I think also that your work method relies upon knowing your paints, it's so important to get to know their foibles and properties, this cannot be stressed enough. You also have to see past the first few coats, which always look like you've sneezed on the thing! I love the way that the surface builds and eventually rewards you with a surface that is both complex and realistic! Great work, as ever:D
Just saw this John, reliving the past a bit in the archives, Thank you so much, I always just thought I was slapping paint about till it looked half right, never knew so much thought went into it:D.....Jim:smiling3:

First Name
colin
Thank you much! back in the day I had no one to bounce off of, studied pics of Verlinden stuff and had to figure out just how the heck he got the effects that he did, spent many a year figuring it out. Hope I have come close to his style {note I said close} he was truly the master of masters and remains my idol till this day! As far as the days you mention I wish to forget more than I remember YOURS JIM
I agree with you Jim verlindens work was outstanding yours ain't to shabby either

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautiful. Hope my SPAAG comes out half as good.