Eduard 1:48 Airco DH2

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Just caught up with this one Colin, some fantastic work going on. I don't envy you with the rigging my only experience was when I did the Arado float rigging which in no way compares to what your achieving. Looking forward to more updates.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Again thanks Gentlemen for keeping 'down' to my slow pace. Well now, as the following pic's show, the rigging is just about done, there are a couple more lines to add when the booms are attached.

View attachment 71642

View attachment 71643

And the engine with propeller. The prop centre needs a 'dirty' wash, otherwise, it's done.

View attachment 71644

However, I now have all the control lines to do. So see you all in a week or two !!

Colin M..

Port 1.JPG

Stbd 1.JPG

Engine.JPG

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's very nice Colin the rigging must have been a nightmare to do you must have some incredible patience. The prop and engine look very realistic, how did you achieve the wood effect? Looking forward to further progress

First Name
Gregg
This is just amazing, you must have the patience of Jobe for all that rigging. I'm with Vaughan on the motor and prop, just how did you get that wood effect? And the brass tips look, well, like brass!

Gregg

First Name
Dave
Superb stuff Colin.Im impressed with the wood and old brass effect on the prop.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Lads, the wood 'look' has to be the biggest modelling cheat I know. I've got a feeling this cheat, sorry tip, came from our own Bunkerbarge. If it was somebody else, i apologise for the lack of credit. Just paint the prop in a light brown colour. I didn't have to as the plastic is a light tan colour. So, I just applied plain old simple wood dye to the plastic using a rough old small brush. The first coat will be light, so when all dry, apply another coat, which will darken things a touch more. Let this dry, if you like what you see, stop, if not, let it dry and go for another coat. It's that easy.

The brass, well I can take no credit for that. Its all down to Vallejo 'Bright Brass' nice stuff.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That propeller is awesome Colin. Thanks for sharing the tip. And nice progress on the rigging and building, this is going to be a stunner.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That DH2 is going to be a beaut. Great work with the rigging and the detailing in general - lovely stuff

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice indeed.

Ian M

K

Kressy_13

That prop looks great. Nice work on the rigging. don't think I could do that. So much time involved. Looking great mate.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the input Gentlemen. Wood dye - brilliant stuff.

Anyway, a little update. The booms and tail are attached. I fixed the booms to the wings and then the tail to the booms. This was a right pain as the tail assembley is held on by only 4 very small points of contact. Maybe it would have been better doing it all the other way around.

So, I'm now left with a really delicate and very flexible boom / tail assembley. There is a chance that the rigging (yet to be installed) might actually provide some strength here, just like in the real thing.

Top tip for anyone else building one of these. Leave the engine off. You can easily fit it in later and right now it just gets in the way.

View attachment 71806

Cheers

Colin M...

Tail.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, a bit of a short build thread, but it's all done. Pics in the Aircraft completed section. Thanks for watching.