Eduard 1/48 Tempest mk.v ‘Barn Find’

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
Wouldn’t it be amazing to come across a barn, open it up and find a WW2 bird just sitting there? Closest I’ll get is imagining it through modelling so; the second Tempest from the Royal Class box will be an 80 year old barn find imagination piece :smiling:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
I think the closest you’ll get is something like this:—
Now that is one sun bleached bird. It’s one of the things I’m pondering. Obviously I’ve gone total rust in the cockpit but outside I’m thinking there would be remnants of the camo paint on the fuselage. But how to make it look bleached with time...I’m think a really thin mix with sand colour in the greens and browns to fade it but not change the colour and keep it thin. We’ll see what happens!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m thinking there would be remnants of the camo paint on the fuselage. But how to make it look bleached with time...
If it’s supposed to have been indoors all this time, it wouldn’t be bleached much, if at all. Paint bleaches due to being exposed to sunlight, and a plane left in a garage would be unlikely to be in the sun a lot. More likely it would be covered in dust and grime, which I think would likely make it (much) darker and mostly a single colour, especially on horizontal surfaces.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If it’s supposed to have been indoors all this time, it wouldn’t be bleached much, if at all. Paint bleaches due to being exposed to sunlight, and a plane left in a garage would be unlikely to be in the sun a lot. More likely it would be covered in dust and grime, which I think would likely make it (much) darker and mostly a single colour, especially on horizontal surfaces.
Lots of dust and pigeon s--t perhaps - also cobwebs and rotting tarps, dumped flower pots, buckets etc?

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
You guys are giving me extra work to do... Now I have to actually make the barn too?? Seriously, need to think about the external surfaces. If it is truly ‘barn find’ you’re right, would be grimy but not faded...but I’m liking the idea of faded...so then it might be ‘remote outside location’ find...I dunno. Let see how it turns out. One way or the other; it’s going to be pretty beaten up.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Russell.
Great start and a nice bit of 'Ageing'

I read you are thinking of having a go at Flt.Sgt. Dennis Copping's lost and found P-40.
I had a go at a diorama of the crash site last May. I can post a pickie if you wish, or if you fancy, take a wander over to finished dioramas and take a blimp.

I would love someone else to have a crack, then we could exchange notes....

Ron

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely idea for a dio Russell.
Anything in a barn would have been preserved quite well from the outdoor elements except for humidity, cobwebs and insects. So bleaching will be at a minimum. If the plane was greased well then rusting will also be at a minimum but build up of crud from organisms and spores for moss growth may occur. The leather stuff would have dried and break easily. Any fabric would have disintegrated. Sorry for rambling on but this is interesting.

Cheers,
Richard

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
Russell.
Great start and a nice bit of 'Ageing'

I read you are thinking of having a go at Flt.Sgt. Dennis Copping's lost and found P-40.
I had a go at a diorama of the crash site last May. I can post a pickie if you wish, or if you fancy, take a wander over to finished dioramas and take a blimp.

I would love someone else to have a crack, then we could exchange notes....

Ron
I will check that out Ron, sounds like piece of work that would be great fun to do! I don’t currently have plans to do the P40 but never say never!

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
Lovely idea for a dio Russell.
Anything in a barn would have been preserved quite well from the outdoor elements except for humidity, cobwebs and insects. So bleaching will be at a minimum. If the plane was greased well then rusting will also be at a minimum but build up of crud from organisms and spores for moss growth may occur. The leather stuff would have dried and break easily. Any fabric would have disintegrated. Sorry for rambling on but this is interesting.

Cheers,
Richard

Thanks Richard, yes I may be toning down the rust although I have added, in my mind, that this barn is also derelict and has a large whole in the roof letting in both sun and rain...clutching at straws now to retain my rust and faded paint desire on this model.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I will check that out Ron, sounds like piece of work that would be great fun to do! I don’t currently have plans to do the P40 but never say never!
Sorry Russell, when you wrote it was one of the things you were pondering, I thought you were referring to actually having a bash at Copping's aircraft. On re- reading your post I see now you were thinking more about the actual faded finish. I wrote a few lines in the construction of the model how I 'Did' the fading. That might be of some help.....

Ron

Last edited:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Great work so far Russell, very convincing rust and weathering on the cockpit.

If I may interject on the topic of weathering effects; I suggest you build it how you want it to look and apply whatever backstory you want to it. It's your model and accuracy isn't always important.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Richard, yes I may be toning down the rust although I have added, in my mind, that this barn is also derelict and has a large whole in the roof letting in both sun and rain...clutching at straws now to retain my rust and faded paint desire on this model.
It's your build Russel...don't mind me, I just got carried away seeing it's such a nice idea. Do as you please as everything weathers differently.
Just something to ponder, in just a fraction of a minute, morning dew through your large hole could have freshen the tone of rust when a moment ago it was dark old rust. Or at the moment of the frame shot, a pidgeon has deposited some extra poop on the wing...boy you can go gaga over this.

Cheers,
Richard