Eduard 1/48 Tempest mk.v ‘Barn Find’

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
True Richard! Thanks all. I’m glad everyone is excited about the idea. I think the reality is... I think I’d be testing my skills to the absolute limit to do it justice in the way some of you have described. I wish I was confident enough to do all that. Then the final picture in my minds eye; through an open barn door, dust floating in the air highlighted by the sun rays coming through select holes in the barn roof etc. That would test my photography skills too. So, I’m going to try and ‘barn find’ it but it may just end up being a heavily weathered thing, slightly implausible bit done well nonetheless... let’s see what happens :smiling:

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
It was pointed out to me that the alloys wouldn’t rust so I added in some cockpit green back to the cockpit and to the wheelbays but have gone with colours over aluminium to start the paint job. Will weather more with the grease and grime of course but happy with the effect here on the underside. Top side now painted aluminium waiting for the camo on top. I realise that some of the paint would still be hanging flakes from where it chipped off or peeled but not sure how to recreate that...image.jpg82593345-9128-49C5-A47C-1F2383FD7B59.jpeg64D3FF16-C61A-4626-92FB-F1F8521F8CCB.jpeg

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
Looking good Russell! How do you intend to yellow the perspex? (and make the cobwebs :smiling4:?)
Steve
Not sure about the glass, may just go for a cloudy effect using a very thin paint or mist Matt varnish. Cobwebs by pulling apart fine strands of a tumble dryer sheet :smiling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking mighty fine, Russell.
Last year when I modelled Dennis Copping's P-40 in the desert, I simply brushed his aircraft all over with some very watered down beige acrylics.
Simple and did the trick.

Ron

Oop! Sorry . I've already mentioned this.......

Last edited:

Charlie Delta Foxtrot

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
Looking mighty fine, Russell.
Last year when I modelled Dennis Copping's P-40 in the desert, I simply brushed his aircraft all over with some very watered down beige acrylics.
Simple and did the trick.

Ron

Oop! Sorry . I've already mentioned this.......

ive done a bit more weathering detail today. I’m thinking about a final neutral wash for the final dust coat. I can’t seem to find your diorama, can you post a link?