Eduard Bf 109 E-1 (Weekend Edition)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've decided to do an 'early' Emil to complement the Mk I Spitfire (from the Revell Mk 2 kit) which I recently completed.

I'm not going to do a blow by blow account, though I'll highlight any problems I have in case that might help someone else.

I'm going to pose the model 'closed up' to which end I won't be fitting the engine and will only build the internal bits which have to be built to hold the thing together!

I don't fancy the one option in the box so I'll be doing one of the three options on the sheet, based on the green (RLM 70/71) splinter scheme. I fancy either Priller's machine with the oversized crosses on the wings, or the one with the white tail. Both, incidentally, are marked in these ways because the Germans were having just as much trouble as we were telling friend from foe early in the war.

So far I've lashed together the cockpit:

The only thing not out of the box is the harness from RB Productions.

Cheers

Steve

0ne48thtel

Another great start Steve look forward to seeing this come along.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I rather like the look of the Priller version as well.

Which ever you go for I am sure it will be a great companion to the Mk1

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Great start as always Steve , I have this kit so I'm going to keep an eye on this one :smiling3:

P

Polux

Nice and interesting item Steve.

Yep! My vote is for the "yellow 12", the white tail give a nice spect!

M

Mike

Hmm, I would say go for the one with mottling, but none of them have so I too am a Yellow 12 voter as I've not seen one in that scheme before

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great start Steve,the cockpit looks great and do like the harness ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers folks.

I nearly went for the kit option simply because it was one of the early (batch of 90) Focke Wulf built machines.

I've got to say that I'm leaning towards 'Yellow 12' (the JG 26 'Schlageter' machine) but Priller's JG 51 machine with the over sized crosses has a certain appeal. They were a short lived expedient seen most in the 'Sitzkrieg', or phoney war as we called it, between the Polish and French campaigns.

There's along time before I need to decide!

Cheers

Steve

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice start, will follow this closely as I am about to start the profipack version. :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Steve, look forward to seeing more in due course.

D

dubster72

If the 1/32 stuff is anything like their 1/48, watch out for the engine Steve.

I had to fit the basic lump as that's how the exhaust stubs attach, but when coming to fit the cowling I needed to remove a fair chunk of plastic from the upper front of the engine.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
If the 1/32 stuff is anything like their 1/48, watch out for the engine Steve.I had to fit the basic lump as that's how the exhaust stubs attach, but when coming to fit the cowling I needed to remove a fair chunk of plastic from the upper front of the engine.
I had similar problems with the only other Eduard kit I ever built. This one won't be getting an engine :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's looking good Steve. Looking forwards to further instalments.

First Name
Adrian
Sitting up in the nose bleed section watching this, great work so far. I always like the background history you provide with all your builds, for me its better than watching H2 :smiling3:

Adrian

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
There is a bit about building this kit in the February 2012 issue of Eduards magazine on their website. Talking about building it with the cowling closed they say

"It fits over the engine if no details are installed, and when you sand the front upper corners of the engine block."

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/InfoEduard/pdf/info-eduard-2012-02EN.pdf

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Whilst not exactly a weekend build I've been making progress, not least because I'm not building half the model :smiling3:

This evening I've test fitted the wings to the fuselage and the fit is good, better than in the following pictures, nothing has been glued yet. This means I've been able to attach the upper wings to the lower wing and will join the whole thing to the fuselage as per the instructions. I quite like the way Eduard have engineered this.

Here's the underside that will need a bit of tidying up. That white plastic card is part of another fix, still a work in progress. It was my fault, not the kit's.

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Looking good Steve :smiling3:

Thanks for the heads up on the engine :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sorry Steve

I don't know how but I completely missed this.

A really nice start to the109 and will make a wonderful foil to the early Spit.

I enjoyed the Eduard kit and have yet 2 more to build. A fix you may want to consider is narrowing the slats across the cord - they're just too big. It's fairly easy to do.

Looking forward to the progress

Cheers

Paul

First Name
Mike
I too have one of these in the stash (the Profipack version) along with a resin Alley-Cat set to convert it to a 'B'. I'm watching with interest.

Oh, and my vote's for Yellow 12, that white tail will look sharp.