Eduard Bf 109 E-1 (Weekend Edition)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Steve. So far it looks to be a very nice kit indeed.

T

treyzx10r

Another great start Steve, the office is looking sharp! I kinda like the yellow #3 myself,what ever you choose I'm sure it will be sweet eye candy with a tasty back story ta boot, so build on Sir! Eagerly awaiting the next update!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I did the Balkans edition of this kit. I really goes together well but a bit too much p.e. for my liking. You are doing a great job Steve....

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Barry, the weekend addition doesn't have all the PE so there are a few bits 'n' bobs missing, particularly from the cockpit, but that's fine as it will be buttoned up.

I have some PE radiator mesh which I'll probably use in the oil cooler and radiators but that's about it.

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well it isn't taking a weekend but I have made a little progress. I'm not getting much time to do anything at the moment but I have managed to spray relevant areas white, mask them, and get some RLM 65 on the underside.

With a bit of luck I might get a chance to start the upper surfaces in the next few days.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I know what you mean about having time to build Steve, but what you have done is looking very good indeed looking forward to more updates

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've managed to get the splinter camouflage scheme applied (when I should really have been working...never mind).

There's some confusion about this across the instructions, decal manufacturers etc. I doubt that there were several different schemes, but the lack of contrast in B&W photos makes it very difficult to interpret. Many aircraft appear to be in one colour when they are not.

I've gone with a pattern based on a 1940 factory drawing of this scheme. My subject was manufactured a little earlier, but I'm happy to go with this pattern.

This may be it for a while, but I'll revive this thread when I get going again.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice Steve what RLM colours have you used? The engine cowling have you intentionally left the gun ports unpainted or are they white.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
White Ensigns RLM 70,71 and 65.

The gun ports are a light grey colour (though they do look white in my photo). The instructions reckon they were RLM 02 but others, including myself, prefer a light grey colour. I used Humbrol 146. Later they were just painted in the camouflage colours.

Here's a detail from a rare piece of colour film.

And a detail of my version.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for the up on that one Steve makes you wonder why they were painted a different colour.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
makes you wonder why they were painted a different colour.
I have absolutely no idea, maybe some kind of special protective paint? They gave it up soon enough anyway.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent work Steve, that paintwork looks immaculate and a really interesting early scheme.

Cheers

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice paint work again Steve. I had never noticed the white/bright coloured machine gun panels on early Emils before. It appears the gun troughs were constructed from iron and not aluminium and were protected with a light grey heat-resistant paint at the factory.

T

tommy1drop

Excellent work Steve, looking forward to the next instalment;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I haven't given up on this one :smiling3:

I only returned home yesterday and today I've applied the decals and slapped on a first slosh of Microsol, as you can probably see in this picture.

At least this particular Bf 109 now has an identity!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Mike
Loking really nice, Steve. Interesting how WEM's 70/71 differ so drastically from some other manufacturers' interpretations. The Schwarzgrun particularly has quite a brown hue to it, instead of the dark forest green I'm more used to seeing.