Eduard spitfire mk IXc late version

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hard to tell from the photo if your underside grey is too dark, but the Spitfire looks good so far. Pre shade shows through, so possibly not too dark.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice job mate. Looking good. looking forward to see the camo

John

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Looking good, despite the defying gravity shots... :D
I agree but the best shots of a spit are when at the top of the loop then diving for the attack

Hahahahaha

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Hi guys first attempt of masking and the top of the plane is painted, quite happy with the results for my first attempt, thanks for everyone's help on the masking thread and I'll promise I'll take some decent pictures if it turns out ok, next step camo!
This is looking a cracking spitfire project

I love the clean lines you have achieved, can't wait for more pics

Robert

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi guys, so I just started rolling and adding blue tack for camo paint session and I'm filling in with masking tape. Basically it's gonna take a while, I certainly don't want to rush and ruin anything so my question is... will it be safe to leave as is with blue tack and tape till tomorrow night or will problems occur?

Sorry for another hand holding question but as I keep saying I'm a newbie

View attachment 109748

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Should be okay for a day or two Phil. Don't leave it on for too long though or you will get a residue if your base colour is a matt finish.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
This is looking really good ........ I'm looking forward to the finished job.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice job. However, as Joe said, don't leave it on too long. This especially specific for the canopy.

John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Painstaking this part huh...
Yeah it is, but worth it. Wait until you get around to a three colour scheme, that's fun.

D

Dave Garrett

have you seen the new digital camo that everybody is doing now but yeah great build all round looking forward to more updates

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Mask for dark green camo done, a couple of specs of paint about 1mm big lifted which has annoyed me and I can only think it may be where those specs lacked primer or had dust underneath, you may be able to see it in the photo where I have just tried to touch it up. Is there a way to resolve this? Should I just spray over the top?

Also I will probably (if I can hold my nerve) be adding the white and black invasion stripes. How is this going to spray over the existing colours or is it something I should have thought about before now? Is there any special process I need to follow?

Thanks in advance once again for the newbie hand holding

Phil

View attachment 109838

View attachment 109839

View attachment 109840

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Is there a way to resolve this? Should I just spray over the top?
What a place for it to lift too, just outside the invasion stripe area. Give the touch up time to dry and see whether it looks okay after that. If not, you can either touch up again or respray the affected areas. A pain in the rear but that's modelling for you. Otherwise the paint work looks great, very nice work.

\ said:
How is this going to spray over the existing colours or is it something I should have thought about before now? Is there any special process I need to follow?
Best done before the camouflage is painted. White is by nature quite translucent, and would be easier over a light coloured base coat. The best way from here is to mask off the areas not being sprayed or painted. Luckily it's a large area on both the wings and fuselage which will be covered. Paint the white first. You may require more than the one coat. Once dry, mask the areas to stay white using strips cut to the correct widths, and then do your black colour.

And to help you work out the strip widths, for single-engine aircraft the invasion stripes are 18 inches (460mm) wide, placed 6 inches (150mm) inboard of wing roundels and 18 inches (460mm) forward of the leading edge of the tailplane. So in 1/72, you're looking at the invasion stripes being 6.4mm wide, positioned at 2mm inboard from the wing roundels, and one stripe width (6.4mm) forward of the leading edge of the tailplane. In reality the stripes weren't always neat and tidy as the ground crews had very short time to apply them prior to D-Day and didn't always mask carefully. They also sometimes covered serial and squadron markings on the fuselage although instructions stated they were to remain uncovered. You'll need to research your Spitfire to see how they applied the stripes on your machine.

Hope this helps.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi guys been crazy busy this week so haven't made much progress, I did manage to get the day fighter band and base white down for the invasion stripes. I'm definitely learning the hard way as I made a school boy error and got some white overspray on the top of the plane. Now it's not too drastic but how should I best resolve this? I was thinking with a little pre wash before sealing once everything else is on and painted apart from the decals. Or if not how else shall I resolve.

Once again any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks

Phil

View attachment 110462

image.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

That is a bit unfortunate mate! Eduard do sell pre cut masks for the invasion stripes specially for their spitfires...

John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Slowly slowly catch a monkey...

Went for straight, masked invasion stripes over the more "realistic" slightly rough brushed stripes in the end as I feel that on a 1/48 at least it can just look like a bit of a shabby job. Each to their own I suppose but I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

First time trying Revell Aqua colour tonight in Matt White and black and I must say was really nice to AB with, a little flow enhancer and hey presto.

I just wish I could buy time!

If you could bottle it we'd all be skint I guess!

Cheers

Phil

View attachment 110607

View attachment 110608

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: