Engels U177

K

KenP

Finally took the plunge and got the kit.

So far I'e completed the watertight compartment ( Hope it's watertight but will test that later )

Cut the flooding holes in the lower hull

Checked out and temporarily mounted the motors.

Followed the instructions and fitted the drive shafts, thought they were ok.But.....

I came to position the rudders and rear hydroplanes and to do this correctly I needed to screw on the props. Catastrope, the props fouled the hull !!!!!.

So gauge out the drive shaft fairings ( made from milliput - bloody hard stuff )and reposition shaft guides. I've done the gauging out, the repositioning is to be done.

Thought someone ( George ) would like a good laugh !!!!

A

adzam

ahhh

wondered why you have been so quiet Ken. keep us updated mate

cheers

Adz..

B

Bluewavestudios

Keep us posted Ken, Always been fascinated by Subs.....post some pics up when you have some.

Regards........Mark.

A

ajg141

It's just the same with my Typhoon - 1 step forward & 2 back! Nearly 2 years at it now (on & off)! Still haven't got the front retracts working smoothly. Still - come the Spring!

Andrew

K

KenP

Drive shafts re-aligned AOK ( props clear the hull by 2mm as per plans )

Working on the rudders ( 2 off ) and the rear hydroplanes,

K

KenP

Rudder and Hydroplane assemblies completed.

Lower hull painted and varnished.

Electrics of diving tanks and drive motors tested on the workbench ( i.e. dining table + blanket+newspapers)

Diving tanks installed in sub water tight area ( at least I hope it's watertight )

Checked to see if the drive screws of the tanks can still extend Ok ( Engles static diving system )

Now I've got to install the wiring neatly and recheck it works OK

Wait , patiently , for next update !!!!!

N

noobee captain

Building a sub always strikes me as a dificult thing to do. Also, need more channels. I have read that you can do it with two - surely you need three channels?

Noobee

A

ajg141

KenP - how on earth have you managed to progress so quickly? :bravo: My Typhoon has been causing heartache all week. The blessed retractable front planes were fouling the hull apertures so out came the file. Now the apertures are somewhat oversize - so some (understatement) filling is called for. In the process one of the plane supports took a dislike to the pressure being applied to it and came adrift. More fibreglass! :shoot: I sometimes wonder why I do this! The only saving grace is that the mechanical on/off switch set up is now working properly. Still maybe next week will be better!

Andrew

K

KenP

To Noobee.

I'm using 6 chanels, all proportional

2 for screws

1-rudder

1 front hydroplane

1-rear hydroplane

1- diving tank unit

To ajg, so far just using an on/off switch, dangling on wires, to the receiver battery.

later I want to unstall a magnet operated one.

K

KenP

Wiring 90% completed in watertight(?) compartment. Just need to install and check out the magnetic On/Off switch.

Started on the conning tower as it's too cold to work on the top hull in my garage. I can do the conning tower indoors without the boss complaining !!!

Shaped the top of the tower from the fibreglass moulding , cut out and glued on the wooden decking, put in place the wooden linings of the side walls,

Next jobs are to install the hand rails , paint the tower and install the periscopes/aerials. Then on to the anti-aircraft guns

G

George

Wiring 90% completed in watertight(?) compartment. Just need to install and check out the magnetic On/Off switch.Started on the conning tower as it's too cold to work on the top hull in my garage. I can do the conning tower indoors without the boss complaining !!!

Shaped the top of the tower from the fibreglass moulding , cut out and glued on the wooden decking, put in place the wooden linings of the side walls,

Next jobs are to install the hand rails , paint the tower and install the periscopes/aerials. Then on to the anti-aircraft guns
Ken, with 3 destroyers, 1 frigate & 2 corvettes I think I have a good anti submarine force. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Well done mate look forward to seeing her at some time or other :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

N

noobee captain

Will she be launched in time for the Start of Season show at Richmond (May 22) or Edinburgh (May 8)?

K

KenP

Richmond? Edinburgh?

I need a passport to get north of the Thames!!!!!!!

G

George

Richmond? Edinburgh? I need a passport to get north of the Thames!!!!!!!
Ken is the only guy that I know who has a range on his car depending on the length of main cable he can ge hold of :shhhh: :wheelchai :wheelchai :wheelchai

K

KenP

More U-177

Top hull fastened to bottom hull.

Pretty well complete.

Now I need to find a suitable pool to test the ballast, functions, etc.

View attachment 7600

View attachment 7599

View attachment 7598

View attachment 7597

View attachment 7596

/monthly_2005_04/57272b6e5dba8_Sub6April2005-a.jpg.0db28398eabab024debbcd5ba31f5ea4.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/57272b6e5c37b_Sub5April2005-a.jpg.6e56685225adc4c64a4489d95ae864f8.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/57272b6e5aaca_Sub4April2005-a.jpg.7fd078ab613aca42cf56ef1ce3b31854.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/57272b6e59247_Sub3April2005-a.jpg.77d7919fe6f18b7d603c034cb438bdb1.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/57272b6e5772c_Sub1April2005-a.jpg.17eb5588094180f21fc03ded90cafd58.jpg

View attachment 12891

View attachment 12892

View attachment 12893

View attachment 12894

View attachment 12895

Sub1 April 2005-a.jpg

Sub3 April 2005-a.jpg

Sub4 April2005-a.jpg

Sub5 April 2005-a.jpg

Sub6 April 2005-a.jpg