Engels U177

K

KenP

Just checking the watertight compartment for leaks, then the diving tests.

I've got to wait until a friend has got his large paddling pool set up ( better weather needed) as the boat is approx 6 feet long and won't go in the bath!!!!!!

R

Redhuzza

U177

Hi Ken

I have only just bought the Engel U177 and with regards to the plans is it correct that you receive the large 1.1 scale plan and a booklet entitled Buildng instruction & Assembly drawings?

It just appears so daunting without a step by step guide unlike which came with my Robbe Kit.

And in reality is it a straight forward build! Many Thanks

Regards

Steve

K

KenP

Hi Steve,

Yes, the Engels kits come with a 1:1 plan plus instruction booklet(s).

Putting it together is fairly straight forward, however:

The kit comes with the upper & lower hulls taped together, once they are apart, getting them backtogether is a bit of a fiddle.

The diving chambers are a real tight fit in the hull.

With the big lump of ballast in the hull, it becomes really heavy and that has to be in before the diving chambers and electrics are installed.

You can always e-mail me on kenparker@verwood-dorset.fsnet.co.uk

KenP

B

Bunkerbarge

Being a novice to the world of RC Subs (beat up second hand U-47) and looking at what best to buy as a kit can anyone give me an idea of just how tedious the process of cutting the free flooding slots are in such kits as the Engels one. I really prefer the Engels U-177 standard of kit to the Robbe but the slot cutting is putting me off.

Thanks

K

KenP

Cutting all the free flooding slots is pretty tedious. Most are on the upper hull but their are quite a few, forward and aft, on the lower hull.

The hull on the Engels is fibreglass. For each slot, I drilled a row of holes, joined them together with a round needle file, then filled to shape.

It is time consuming, I found the drilling worse than the filing !!!!

if you want a static diving sub then you can't get round doing this chore.

If you are OK with dynamic diving then look at the new Robbe kit. The slots are preformed

B

Bunkerbarge

Ken,

Thanks for the help. I take it the hull has the slots scribed into it for you to follow but my worry is keeping them all perfectly aligned. I am toying with the idea of setting up some sort of small milling head set up on a rail. Food for thought for the project but I am still looking at acouple of years ahead.

Thanks again

A

ajg141

Filing the holes on the Typhoon was a bind too! 207 of the things and they had to be square. I started by drilling 4 small ones at each corner with a larger one in the middle and then filing outwards to each corner. The hole corners were then finished off with a triangular file and the hole squared up. You need to have patience!

Andrew

S

shipmodeler70

Hi Ken.

I took the liberty of copying your email and sending this.

Have purchased an Engel U-Boat 177 and just received. The whole thing looks a tad daunting. But assume once I get into it with instructions should be reasonably straight

forward. The deal is not to rush and make a stupid mistake.

If you do have photos of your progress build other than what you posted on Scale Models Forum,

I would welcome with open arms as I wont be doing the electrics. Got a very good engineer to do all that.

Look forward to anything you can send that will help

in a trouble free build. Kind regards, Graeme Martin