F-14B Tomcat - 1:32 Trumpeter

C

Caledonia

Thanks Patrick/Ole,

Ole I think it depends on the gloss finish you use. For my 1/48 and 1/72 models I usually hand brush Vallejo Acrylic Gloss Varnish (Permanent 26.517) and don't have any problems with the Flory wash. For the F-14B I find it difficult to airbrush the above varnish even diluted with water so I airbrushed neat Klear. The wash just would not stick to it, so I spayed the F-14B with a coat of Humbrol Matt Acrylic Varnish aerosol - problem solved. I apply the wash with the brush mentioned using a light scrubbing action (hog hair brushed have a stiff bristle as you probably know). I left the wash on overnight so it had about 12 hrs. drying time ( although you can get away with 4 Hrs. I find.) I then visually divide the aircraft surfaces into discrete areas such as a wing, and with a small pot of tap water I wet the same brush and gently scrub the wash in that area until the wash is wet again. When the area is fully wetted, I used a piece of kitchen tissue about 5cm square and wipe off the excess in the direction of airflow. Keeping the same tissue I then go around the area wiping more gently until I achieve the desired effect. Keeping the dirty tissue has the advantage that you have a source of damp wash to redistribute as necessary. I then very gently wipe the centre of any panel areas to achieve the same effect as pre-shading. Obviously I use a clean piece of tissue for each area. Hope this helps, and I haven't taught you how to suck eggs. Cheers Derek

Last edited:
M

mobear

very very useful info for me Derek,this will be implemented on the plane i am working on,a bit hush hush,still getting the use of left arm,and the droppage of this plane and the broken bits,which i am slowly replacing and fixing,should look okay lol,once again thnx for the run down on the way you do it

mobear

C

Caledonia

Glad it was of use Ole.

A couple of shots of the Wing control surfaces which I have now fitted. Tried to make the angles as per the M.A.T.S. website info for the carrier landing condition. Cheers Derek

View attachment 79543

View attachment 79544

B111.jpg

B112.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cant wait to see the finished pics Derek , cheers tony