F-14B Tomcat - 1:32 Trumpeter

M

mobear

wowser. is it dry fitted only or do the wings slide in?looking at it like that i see why i love this jet lol

C

Caledonia

\ said:
wowser. is it dry fitted only or do the wings slide in?looking at it like that i see why i love this jet lol
Hi Ole,

The wings are hinged.

View attachment 76070

If you choose to have the slats, spoilers and flaps permanently closed, you can swing the wings. I have chosen the landing config. so I cannot swing the wings.

View attachment 76071

View attachment 76072

Cheers Derek

p.s. have you seen this YouTube clip of one landing close-up

Q1.jpg

Q2.jpg

Q3.jpg

Last edited:
M

mobear

jeeeeeeesuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssss man that was superb,those lucky sods stood there lol,and cool if thats the way you are displaying it

C

Caledonia

Hi Ole, here is another scary one, thick fog so there is nothing wrong with your screen.

Hav'n't had much time for modelling lately, but hopefully things will improve. Have just added the Vertical Stabilizers and the Arrestor Hook.

View attachment 76985

View attachment 76986

B61.jpg

B62.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Tomcat is looking good Derek despite your probs with the bombs and stabilizers. I think you're right to go with the landing configuration it will be really dramatic. I'm really looking forward to seeing this big kit finished like that.

Keep up the great work

Paul

PS. That fog landing is insane!

C

Caledonia

Thanks Paul.

A few shots of the Cockpit before I closed it up.

View attachment 77702

View attachment 77703

View attachment 77705

View attachment 77706

Masked the undercarriage gear for painting with a combination of dampened toilet tissue, masking fluid and Alum. cooking foil.

View attachment 77707

Attached the wings and horizontal tailerons.

View attachment 77708

View attachment 77709

View attachment 77710

View attachment 77711

A couple of comparison shots of the F-14B with the Sukhoi SU-27B, also a 1:72 Tomcat and a 1:48 E.E. Lightning.

View attachment 77712

View attachment 77713

The Flaps, Slats and Spoilers have been left off the Wings for painting separately.

Cheers Derek

B63.jpg

B64.jpg

B65.jpg

B66.jpg

B67.jpg

B68.jpg

B69.jpg

B70.jpg

B71.jpg

B72.jpg

B73.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
Looking good.I like the cockpits.The comparison pic is good.I'm currently building the 1/48 Lightning,so Ive now got an idea how big this Tomcat is.

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments Gents.

Not a lot of spare time just now, but have managed to prime all of the parts using Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Light Gray aerosol .

View attachment 78579

View attachment 78580

Have segregated the small pieces into weapons - underside colour - top sides colour.

View attachment 78581

Will be trying to dirty up the model by applying pre-shade and generally dirtying it up with variable density mist spray of Tamiya 'Smoke' X-19, diluted 50/50 with Tamiya thinner.

For the underside colour will be using Gunze H308 with 20% Gunze H316 and diluted with about 60/40 paint mix/Mr Color Leveling Thinner.

For the topside will use Gunze H307 mixed as the underside.

Cheers Derek

P.S. Forgot to add that I made up 20mL of the underside paint mix as described above. Have just finished spraying the Fuselage underside and area around the canopy and nose, also the Weapons and Flaps etc. with it. This was plenty for two coats, gave a good smooth semi-gloss finish. Thought this might be useful for anyone planning to do a 1:32 F-14 Kit.

B74.jpg

B75.jpg

B76.jpg

Last edited:
A

Andy Mac

That is an impressive looking model, and it looks like you're overcoming the challenges nicely, keep up the good work.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looking great Derek , and not so small i imagine either! cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your kind comments Gents, have added a P.S. to my previous posting which may help anyone planning a similar build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice Derek. Big bugger. You gunna need a big bit of hangar ship to show that off on.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking great Derek. This is going to be one very impressive looking model when built.

C

Caledonia

Thanks Ian/Colin, As you say Ian storing it is a serious problem for me, negotiations are still underway with the BOSS.

Had a busy Friday and weekend.

Got the Top and Underside colours on, Gunze and Mr Color Leveling thinner gave a very good smooth sheen finish, tempted not to put on a gloss before decaling.

View attachment 78813

View attachment 78814

Painted the weapons, some minor colours to be added still.

View attachment 78815

View attachment 78816

Painted the top surfaces of the Flaps. The Item centre right is a test piece and not part of the kit.

View attachment 78817

Spent almost two days masking, towards the end it made me think I was roasting it, not painting it with all that aluminium foil.

View attachment 78818

View attachment 78819

View attachment 78820

View attachment 78821

View attachment 78822

Finally got the Blue and Red on, used Tamiya X-4 and X-7 respectively, and thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner.

View attachment 78825

View attachment 78826

Painted inside the undercarriage doors white, still to go round the edges with red and do some weathering. The Item centre right is a test piece and not part of the kit.

View attachment 78823

Also painted the inside faces of the control surfaces.

View attachment 78824

Got to remove the masking fluid etc. from the undercarriages; decal and then weather.

Cheers Derek

B77.jpg

B78.jpg

B79.jpg

B80.jpg

B81.jpg

B82.jpg

B83.jpg

B84.jpg

B85.jpg

B86.jpg

B87.jpg